“Wonderful Experience”

Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 132 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Herr's Ridge Rd.
Description: Fine dining in a cozy, business casual atmosphere. ~ Wine Spectator Award of Excellence ~ Susquehanna Style Magazine Silver Spoon Award Winner Business Meetings, Bus Groups, Rehearsal Dinners and other Private Events from 10-150.
Reviewed September 7, 2011

An out of the way Inn that is worth the effort to find! The food was excellent, the wait staff friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. After dining in another local restaurant the next night we wished that we had returned to the Inn at Herr Ridge instead. Who needs to say more?

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I dined here with my family while visiting Gettysburg....restaurant is outside of town so you need to drive there. The backdooor entrance from the car park via a musty smelling unused conference/ballroom area was not good.Decor old fashioned and a little' tired'. Menu looks better than it delivers. I suspect a little ambitious for the chef's capabilities...though there are at least two chefs there, so might be different on a different night.(this was a Tuesday evening and restaurant not busy)The 'chilled heirloom tomato soup with scallop ceviche' tasted like cold Campbells tomato soup... the corn and crab chowder, with cheese and bacon two of the party had was great, but maybe best in smaller portions...extremely rich and neither could finish it.My son's caprese salad though was very enjoyable.
The main courses again promised more than they delivered..my son again fared best with a simple Chicken Nicoise while the Tuna with crab and avocado was tasteless...the pork fillet dry...and the scallop and prawn dish unmemorable.The wine I chose though good, and reasonably priced, was problematic...the waitress could not open it, broke the cork and hurried to the kitchen for help...there was now so much sediment it needed decanting ...a request we had to make having seen the first glasses poured. Desserts again looked better on the menu than they were, a very average creme brullee, and the 'special' Apple dumpling..memorable by it's hardness...pastry though was OK. Service overall was very pleasant, though not skilled. In summary ideas good..... execution has a way to go...

1  Thank LHS551
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Inn at Herr Tavern Inn (eat in the main restaurant) on the Chambersburg Road is the BEST place to start your Gettysburg visit. This inn/tavern is authentic, and is sits on the road that General Lee and the Confederates used as they approached and retreated from Gettysburg. The hills surrounding the inn, are just west of the site where the battle started on the first day.

Sitting in the cool quiet of the restaurant (and ignoring the cars rushing by outside your window), allows you to envision the battle on those quiet bucolic fields.

The food was outstanding, as was the wine. The chef even came out to visit with us during the meal. We followed his suggestions in choosing our entrees (a duck and pork dish) and wine, and weren't disappointed.

The Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant isn't cheap, but you get good value for your money, and the ambiance is so much better than the other high price/crowded tourist-oriented restaurant located on the south end of town.

For the record, we did try to eat at the "other" restaurant as we heard the food was good, but it was so crowded that we would have had to wait at least a half hour before getting a table. (Rather than fight the crowds, we opted for a fast dinner from a pub a block down the street.) This experience really reinforced the wonderful evening / dinner we had the night before at Herr Ridge.

Bottom line, when looking for fine dining in Gettysburg, avoid the crowds and enjoy a delightful meal at the Inn at Herr Ridge!

Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I dined here our first night in Gettysburg (Aug 5-7). I made reservations but it was not busy when we arrived that night. I asked to be seated in the glass porch so that we would have a view. There was a hummingbird that kept watching us through the glass and we enjoyed watching the traffic come up and down the road along with the sun setting on Gettysburg. The food was wonderful. My husband had the prime rib while I ordered the duck. I have never had roasted beets before and they were to die for. We stayed after dinner for dessert and the berry cobbler was the best I have ever had. A little pricey but I felt it was worth it for the food.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

We LOVED this restaurant! The Inn is outside the hustle and bustle of central Gettysburg, but extremely easy to find. The whole experience was wonderful. We arrived early and asked about the rooms at the Inn, and the hostess arranged for someone to give us a tour. The rooms were lovely, and I look forward to staying at the Inn in the future. Then we had dinner. Well, dinner exceeded our expectations. We had our choice of the main dining room or the glass-enclosed porch -- both lovely, so you can't go wrong either way. There was an extensive and interesting tasting menu, with optional wine pairings. The service was friendly but VERY professional. My son's prime rib was just wonderful -- I tasted it, and I'll have to return just so I can order it for myself. I had shrimp and scallops -- also wonderful. We wanted to return to the battlefields at dusk, so the waitress made sure to accommodate us without rushing things. Best restaurant in Gettysburg. We LOVED it and will be back.