“Tries hard ...but not quite there...”

Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 129 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Herr's Ridge Rd.
Description: Fine dining in a cozy, business casual atmosphere. ~ Wine Spectator Award of Excellence ~ Susquehanna Style Magazine Silver Spoon Award Winner Business Meetings, Bus Groups, Rehearsal Dinners and other Private Events from 10-150.
Avon, Connecticut
“Tries hard ...but not quite there...”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I dined here with my family while visiting Gettysburg....restaurant is outside of town so you need to drive there. The backdooor entrance from the car park via a musty smelling unused conference/ballroom area was not good.Decor old fashioned and a little' tired'. Menu looks better than it delivers. I suspect a little ambitious for the chef's capabilities...though there are at least two chefs there, so might be different on a different night.(this was a Tuesday evening and restaurant not busy)The 'chilled heirloom tomato soup with scallop ceviche' tasted like cold Campbells tomato soup... the corn and crab chowder, with cheese and bacon two of the party had was great, but maybe best in smaller portions...extremely rich and neither could finish it.My son's caprese salad though was very enjoyable.
The main courses again promised more than they delivered..my son again fared best with a simple Chicken Nicoise while the Tuna with crab and avocado was tasteless...the pork fillet dry...and the scallop and prawn dish unmemorable.The wine I chose though good, and reasonably priced, was problematic...the waitress could not open it, broke the cork and hurried to the kitchen for help...there was now so much sediment it needed decanting ...a request we had to make having seen the first glasses poured. Desserts again looked better on the menu than they were, a very average creme brullee, and the 'special' Apple dumpling..memorable by it's hardness...pastry though was OK. Service overall was very pleasant, though not skilled. In summary ideas good..... execution has a way to go...

1 Thank LHS551

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Antonio, Texas
“Delectable Food and Historic Location”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Inn at Herr Tavern Inn (eat in the main restaurant) on the Chambersburg Road is the BEST place to start your Gettysburg visit. This inn/tavern is authentic, and is sits on the road that General Lee and the Confederates used as they approached and retreated from Gettysburg. The hills surrounding the inn, are just west of the site where the battle started on the first day.

Sitting in the cool quiet of the restaurant (and ignoring the cars rushing by outside your window), allows you to envision the battle on those quiet bucolic fields.

The food was outstanding, as was the wine. The chef even came out to visit with us during the meal. We followed his suggestions in choosing our entrees (a duck and pork dish) and wine, and weren't disappointed.

The Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant isn't cheap, but you get good value for your money, and the ambiance is so much better than the other high price/crowded tourist-oriented restaurant located on the south end of town.

For the record, we did try to eat at the "other" restaurant as we heard the food was good, but it was so crowded that we would have had to wait at least a half hour before getting a table. (Rather than fight the crowds, we opted for a fast dinner from a pub a block down the street.) This experience really reinforced the wonderful evening / dinner we had the night before at Herr Ridge.

Bottom line, when looking for fine dining in Gettysburg, avoid the crowds and enjoy a delightful meal at the Inn at Herr Ridge!

Avon, Indiana
“Great food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I dined here our first night in Gettysburg (Aug 5-7). I made reservations but it was not busy when we arrived that night. I asked to be seated in the glass porch so that we would have a view. There was a hummingbird that kept watching us through the glass and we enjoyed watching the traffic come up and down the road along with the sun setting on Gettysburg. The food was wonderful. My husband had the prime rib while I ordered the duck. I have never had roasted beets before and they were to die for. We stayed after dinner for dessert and the berry cobbler was the best I have ever had. A little pricey but I felt it was worth it for the food.

Long Island, NY
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We LOVED this restaurant! The Inn is outside the hustle and bustle of central Gettysburg, but extremely easy to find. The whole experience was wonderful. We arrived early and asked about the rooms at the Inn, and the hostess arranged for someone to give us a tour. The rooms were lovely, and I look forward to staying at the Inn in the future. Then we had dinner. Well, dinner exceeded our expectations. We had our choice of the main dining room or the glass-enclosed porch -- both lovely, so you can't go wrong either way. There was an extensive and interesting tasting menu, with optional wine pairings. The service was friendly but VERY professional. My son's prime rib was just wonderful -- I tasted it, and I'll have to return just so I can order it for myself. I had shrimp and scallops -- also wonderful. We wanted to return to the battlefields at dusk, so the waitress made sure to accommodate us without rushing things. Best restaurant in Gettysburg. We LOVED it and will be back.

• Visited July 2011
NJ
“Superb!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We spent 2 perfect nights at The Inn at Herr Ridge June 25 & 26. We had dinner at the restaurant in the Inn on Saturday evening and the food, service, and extensive wine list were superb!!! We ate in the glass enclosed front porch - very romantic and the entire experience was sublime. We had arrived late afternoon Saturday and were directed to our room which had a chiled bottle of Nicolas Feuillatte,chocolate covered strawberries and a wonderful cheese and fruit platter waiting for us!!! .... The room was large with a king bed which was quite comfortable, a gas fireplace and a wonderful bath with a 2 person jacuzzi, thick plush bathrobes and slippers and wonderful soaps and lotions. We had massages scheduled prior to dinner and what a wonderful way to unwind and relax after our 3 + hour drive to Gettysburg and a great precurser to the best dinner experience we have had in years!! Breakfast the next morning was amazing - creme brulee french toast and cranberry sausage - delicious!! The chef was not only incredible preparing our meal the eveinging before but provided us with a gastonomic experience for breakfast the next morning = the following morning he again prepared a fantastic Eggs Benedict served on toasted croissants rather than english muffins - Yummy!!!!! We wished we had eaten dinner at the Inn again on Sunday but were on a time constratint as we had a Ghost Tour scheduled with Miss Betty - a fabulous experience - which NO ONE should miss! Miss Betty is very personable and provides a wonderul history of each the sites she visits on her ghost tours ....I did not meet any ghosts - but my camera acted very strangely at one of the haunted Inns we visited on our tour and I could not get it to work properly. Suddenly, once we were away from the Inn, the camera started working perfectlyagain - very odd if you ask me.... Back to the Inn at Herr Ridge - my husband asked for bottle of champagne to be chilled and waiting in our room upon our return from Miss Betty;s ghost tour and sure enough - when we got to our new room ( Room # 4 - where we had an interesting "encounter") - a wonderful bottle awaited us. Room 4 was beautifukl with a gas fireplace also - large bathroom with 2 person jacuzzi and robes and slippers. We have to say that the service at this Inn was beyond GREAT!!! The owner Steve, has created an exceptional bed and breakfast experience with very thoughtful touches that make this Inn so inviting (cookies, and popcorn in the sitting areas) and a staff that goes out of its way to make its guests feel special (the loan of an umbrella on a misty night out)!! We will be back and have told our family and firends about how wonderful the Inn at Herr Ridge is!!!

• Visited June 2011