Tripadvisor
Gettysburg

“Another excellent dinner tonight”

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #6 of 132 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I had the Scallops and my friend had the ginger pepper rubbed ribeye special. Both were cooked perfectly! Time well spent! Two thumbs up for the chefs that prepared our dinners Stephen and Dave!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (5,023)

Reviewed January 21, 2020

Have been to the Dobbin House many times and was always fantastic, this time was different. My husband and I had dinner in the Tavern. We shared the crab dip which was terrible and we both got the steak and crab cake dinner. The steak was chewy and the crab cake was underwhelming. Not sure if someone new took it over but the food is not the same.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

This was the first time that my husband and I have eaten here. Our college age granddaughter have eaten here before and recommended this restaurant. An excellent choice. The service was excellent and so was the food. My burger was done to perfection. My husband ordered the sausage. This new to the menu and we hope they keep it. It had an excellent flavor and done nicely not dried out. It had saute onions. The next time we are in Gettysburg this will be a stop. They also have cute gift shop. The restaurant is down some steps and dark. Not sure if they have a ramp-didn't see one.

Reviewed January 11, 2020

My family had lunch at the Dobbin House. Had lunch downstairs which really takes you back in Tim. Food was good. I am a vegetarian and I had a black bean burger. Family enjoyed the experience.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed January 7, 2020

In my experience many period-faithful restaurants lean heavily on decor and costumes while the food and service don't measure up. Dobbin, however, is the real deal and actually excels in all dimensions.

Arriving late on a weekday afternoon, our party of 4 was seated in a large basement room that rang true to its original purpose. It had been part of the famous Underground Railroad by which fugitive slaves made their way to freedom in the North. A page in the menu explained the fascinating history in some detail.

Our server was attired as his post-colonial counterparts may have been long ago. He was an experienced professional waiter, not a part-time college student, and he treated us very well. We all ordered drinks which soon arrived, well prepared.

The menu at Dobbin includes many traditional dishes as well as contemporary fare. For starters we all ordered the French onion soup which our server recommended. It was some of the best I have ever eaten anywhere. My lady and I both had Reuben sandwiches as our entree. Excellent!

After our delicious meal we relaxed a while by the large fireplace upstairs. This would be a great place to enjoy a libation, and we'll do that next time.

Date of visit: November 2019