“Historic Building/Great Food”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Dobbin house is long on atmosphere and serves excellent food at reasonable prices. The restaurant itself is an historic building with a long history, and the rooms are all visually interesting, with staff dressed in traditional garb, and some rooms located in the actual cellar, with only candles for illumination. Food is varied, but I enjoyed a terrific crabcake sandwich, and I have heard the onion soup is tremendous. There was also an outdoor dining area, and a really fun gift shop that offered more than the usual tourist souvenirs. Give it a try.

There are newer reviews for Dobbin House Tavern

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We have been coming to the Dobbin House more than 10 years, mainly for the historic atmosphere and not because of the value of the food. I love the history of this property, with the Springhouse Tavern in the basement being my favorite place to eat. And I like being able to stop out front were the small beer garden tent and tables are at. But the prices coupled with the food are getting to be ridiculous. $9.00 for a turkey sandwich on slices of bread with homemade potato chips, only half that are truly edible. Not taking away too much from the quality of food, just cost to quantity. Granted, it is a tourist thing, so I get that aspect. But warning .. stopping for a snack or a meal is going to cost you.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I was intrigued by a restaurant built in 1776. I reviewed the tripadvisor comments, and decided that we definitely wanted to dine in the upstairs dining room. When I made our reservations at the BB, I ask them to make 7 PM reservations in the upstairs dining room which they did. This was done on May 27th for reservation August 11th.

We arrived promptly at 7 PM and reported in at the hostess area, in a very small, and confined space, over filled with people. We graciously waited for about 20 minutes in this extremely crowded area. After people coming in with "NO" reservations, we told about a 10 minute wait,and after several parties with "NO" reservation were seated before us, I went to the hostess, very annoyed, and ask when we were going to be seated, and why they seated others prior to us having "NO" reservations. She stated, that was because they were a party of four. Finally telling her that our reservation were made months ago and revealing the name of who made them, we were seated next. When we entered the dining area, several parties of 2 were seated at tables for 4.

The dining room was very crowed, the food was average, and the service was far from fine dining. As per my comments to our Inn Keeper, to me it is somewhat of a "Cattle Car Atmosphere". If you want to go, and I understand why, I would suggest the lighter fare in the downstairs Tavern. We ate their on another evening due to the rain, and were please. We had no reservations and were seated immediately in the Tavern. Don't waste you money on the upstairs dining.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stopped in here while walking the shops in Gettysburg for lunch. We checked in and had to wait about 30 minutes for our table so we shopped the giftshop and found some nice things we liked and purchased. Finally got seated but it was at a table so close to everyone that we were basically unwilling participants in the conversations next to us. Heard every word of two women eating complaining about their husbands and the opposite side of us was a woman and man who wanted to know all about my beer. The food we ordered was really delicious (grilled turkey, bacon club) and the service was absolutely awesome. Some of the entrees can be pretty pricey but the sandwiches they had for lunch all sounded great and weren't too bad price wise. Bottom line, tables were too close for any privacy or even elbow room, but a good quick meal overall.

1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Hadn't been here for years but was looking forward to trying it again. We ate in the tavern. Really nice ambiance with the candles and period garb for the staff. Food was very good. We enjoyed the Tavern Onion Soup especially. The sandwiches and hamburger were good. Was happy to have horseradish sauce for my roast beef sandwich. Service was also very good.