“The Good and the Bad”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We ate downstairs in the pub. I loved the atmosphere, but it was chilly down there, so be sure to bring a sweater.

Our waitress was not very friendly, but the food came promptly. She never came back to check on us and I had to flag her down at the end of the meal to get the bill and some more water. We were there for lunch an all had the french onion soup. At the bottom of all of our bowls were huge chunks of beef. It was like the started to fill the bowls with the other soup, beef vegetable, and realized their mistake. There was no bread in the soup and the onion flavor was diluted by the beef flavor. The cheese on top was delicious. My club sandwich was good.

The little museum was interesting, so head over to the fireplace after you order. Go through the door on the right and take the stairs up two flights to get to it.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

My daughter and I had dinner there on our first night in Gettysburg. We did not realize it was pre-civil war, dating back to 1775. It definitely has been maintained to portray the age and history of the restaurant. A lot of their menu items are cooked over open fire and the smell of a burning fireplace infused the entire restaurant, adding to the ambience. It was part of the underground railroad and they have a small display of a small room where slaves could hide between 1st and 2nd floor. The menu has wonderful options and our meal was worth the price considering the loveliness and history of the inn. There is a gift shop right next door and it is about the only shop we went in for three days (except museum gift store) , but found exactly what we needed or wanted for the next days adventures of the battlefields. Do yourself a treat and have at least one meal there. Recommend for couples, but would be expensive for a family with children.

1  Thank kaneira
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We went with 5 people, made a reservation and were seated promptly. The room was a little tight as there was a big party behind us. the period cloths definitely made for some fun banter. We had the avocado Luis, which as expected was heavy but good. I had the crab cakes which were wonderful!!! No filler, just lovely crab meat. the bakes sweet potato was also lovely. Others had the duck, which was also good, and the shrimp and chicken, which although sounded like an odd combination, but was also very good. Our waitress was lovely and attentive. The roving musician made a great touch, even though normally i would not like it, he really knew what to play and how long to stay. Wine list was a little lacking, but thats about it. Overall a very nice visit!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

You can never go wrong here. The pork with raspberry sauce was the best pork we've ever had!! Excellent service and food everytime. Nice breakfast the next day for those of us who stayed in their bed and breakfast.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was just what I wanted for dinner. I had a cranberry shrub (traditional champagne cocktail), I tried very hard not to eat the ENTIRE bread basket (that could be desert), an excellent steak and finally a wonderful piece of apple pie. The atmosphere was low lit and very comforable. I would definitely return.