“Historic restaurant but not worth the money”

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #5 of 129 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Alburtis
“Historic restaurant but not worth the money”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

My daughter & son in law told us we needed to experience this restaurant when we were in Gettysburg.
I went on the Internet to read the reviews & look @ the menu It seemed expensive, but we went anyway..
My husband & I felt we were on vacation so we could splurge one time.
I ordered a filet mignon with salad &a sweet potato. the house dressing was delicious, the breads are delicious, but not worth $29.99
My steak was a little chewy & I was disappointed with this.

This restaurant has many floors with lots of stairs. if you have problems walking or are with older people it might be difficult for them.
The tables are very close together so if you want privacy this is not the place.
You need to make a reservation because despite the prices, stairs & tables close together this is an Historic restaurant & people will go anyway.

Now that I satisfied my curiosity I will find another place to eat next time I go to Gettysburg

• Visited September 2013

“49 th anniversary dinner”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice atmosphere. The food is good but on the pricey side. Service is on the slow side,but ok. About the only complaint I have is about my onion soup, good but where are the onions. We,ll go there again for special occasions.

Schererville, Indiana
“Springhouse Tavern”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ate dinner in the lower floor of this historical house built by Alexander Dobbin in the late 18th century. The upper floor has a high end restaurant; the lower a tavern. The tavern was fun - dark -- lit by candlelight. We had the French onion soup based on recommendations from other Trip Advisor reviewers. It was tasty. Tried the crab cakes. I would probably choose something else because they were so salty. Drank a local craft beer, which was full bodied and delicious. We ate at the bar; the barmaid (and I call her barmaid because she was dressed in period clothing) was cool - really not that friendly, but we were there to eat, not to be entertained by the support staff. You can walk up a narrow staircase to the top floor to see where runaway slaves were hidden. We would recommend a stop here - the food is okay and the historical significance is great.

Liverpool, New York
“Never went in”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Over the past 20years, I have been to this restaurant about 30 times and have always enjoyed the food. On Saturday evening, I decided it awas not worth going inside. I made reservations a month prior to my visit which they did not have when I called at 1pm to confirm them. I then made a new 6:30 reservation, we arrived 5 minutes late and at 7:05, we left and went elsewhere. Two groups of people were seated that came after us and host was very rude. As good as the food has beenin the past, no one who is paying that kind of money should be treated disrespectfully. I will never step foot in this restaurant again!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank steve f
Beamsville
“Takes you back in time.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is an old tavern that takes you back in time. The food was a little pricey and service was a little slow but worth it just to go back in time.