“Cool place, good food.” 4 of 5 stars

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #6 of 125 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Michigan
“Cool place, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

After riding on a bus for 9 hours we were all very happy to have some food. Thankfully the Dobbin house had a very nice buffet setup for us with a whole lot of bacon & OJ. Plus to see the hidden areas where the slaves would hide is an added bonus.

Visited May 2013

Columbia, South Carolina
“Eating great food in a cellar!!!! Not what you might think.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Dobbin House offers fine dining, upstairs, or casual dining, in the tavern or cellar of the house. Dobbin House was recommended to us by complete strangers we met in the hotel who had tried it the night before. We went the casual route and ate in the Tavern "Cellar". Our waitress, Tammy, was dressed in periodic clothing and could not have been nicer. The atmosphere was fantastic and the food was well worth the price. If you go get the Baked Beef Onion Soup (name is close enough) it's fantastic!!!!! I got the roasted half chicken which was cooked just right and very tasty while the wife got the marinated chicken breast. I only got a small taste cause she kept it all to herself, very good. The history of this old house is very interesting to read about as well. Give this place a try if you go to Gettysburg.

• Visited June 2013
London, Kentucky
“Great historical meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I have been to the Dobbin House probably 7 or more times on multiple trips to Gettysburg and it would have gotten a 5 star rating from me across the board had my most recent trip not been so bad. This last time, a beer, the soup of the day, and an entree set me back $45-I'd be somewhat ok with that if I weren't still hungry after the meal. I ordered the lobster stuffed shrimp and the Maryland crab soup. The soup was above average. The shrimp was terrific except that it was priced close to $25 and only came with 4 pieces-for that cost, I'd expect at least twice that. The ambience is nice, it is dark and quiet-a good place for a date. My real gripe is when our waittress brought out one check for a party of 4 (and never asked how the check would be split to begin dinner) and I asked if she could split the check, she looked at me like I had 12 heads and huffed as she went off to do that. It's really not a big deal. Then when she got back and I thanked her, she said nothing. Upon coming back to take our signed receipts she looked down at mine (and I'm assuming didn't like her tip amount) and snatched it up and left. She returned to rudely say that the math was wrong on one of the bills. Her demeanor TOTALLY changed after I asked for our checks to be split. She wasnt friendly or even approachable after that. She never thanked us as we left. My previous experience at the Dobbin House had been flawless, but this time I left very underwhelmed. What was my favorite restaurant in Gettysburg let me down big time. I understand our server may have had a bad night, but that coupled with an outrageous price didn't sit well with me-so much so that we had planned to have lunch there two days later for our final meal in Gettysburg and instead went to another restaurant. If you've never been, give it a shot, it is a good place with a lot of history and character to it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
“VERY GOOD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

very good authentic place. made me feel like i was there during the war times. the food was very good, service was excellent! just wish the lighting was a little brighter i could barely see my food. but i understand they were going for the atmosphere. i do however recommend eating inside instead of the outdoor area. they were slow and unorganized outside.

• Visited April 2013
Metamora, Michigan
“Fabulous place- add it to your itinerary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went to the cellar at lunch time. The atmosphere is amazing, as is the food. Adding to the fun is a peak into the hiding place for slaves during Underground Railroad times. This is a spot I will return to if I ever get back to Gettysburg.

Visited June 2013