“You need to try the french onion soup!!!”

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #5 of 129 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“You need to try the french onion soup!!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a very lovely restaurant. Dinner is buy candlelight and in the tavern (basement) of the Dobbin House. We were VERY impressed by the french onion soup and enjoyed our time at dinner. Thank you for making our evening relaxing, satisfying, and fun!

Bergen County, NJ
“Great food, so-so cleanliness”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I used to really enjoy eating at the Dobbin House Tavern, in the dark basement by candlelight as in colonial times. However, on this visit, I wondered if the candlelight was necessary to camouflage the lack of cleanliness. I was given a seat at a table that had french fries on the chair and the floor below me. It was gross. I got up and moved to another table.There were crumbs on the chair. I guess tey need to know that when you clean off a table, you shouldn't clean it off on the chair and the floor. It should be a clean place to eat ... or is this recreating colonial taverns for lack of cleanliness as well.

Okay, as for fhe food. It was was delicious, cooked just right, they were open to serving those with special dietary needs due to allergies, etc. Server was very nice and friendly. It was the best steak I had in Gettysburg. I just wished they cleaned up better between guests.

1 Thank civil-warrior
Omaha, Nebraska
“A Delicious Piece of History”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

In researching our trip to Gettysburg I came across the Dobbin House Tavern in almost every place I looked. I decided it would definitely be on our list of places to go once there. It did not disappoint either. The Tavern is down in the cellar of a well maintained 1776 building like they were in the old days. The place is lit and decorated just like back in the day as well. The fare was basic sandwich, soup, burger and salads done with very fresh ingredients and their own special flair. We did not drink any alcohol, but the bar was really neat looking and well stocked. Two of our party had the onion soup, which is a specialty and loved it. You can have onion soup in thousands of places across the country, but I doubt you will find much better than that served at the Dobbin House. I had an open faced grilled steak sandwhich that was done to perfection and smothered in grilled mushrooms and onions. The iced tea was excellent as well. We also highly advise getting a few slices of their special "Sweet Bread". It is a sinfully rich baked bread with dates, nuts and a light covering of cream cheese that is fantastic. I would also be remise if I did not mention the great service. Our waitress Nikki (dressed in period attire) was helpful, pleasant and a joy to talk with. The Dobbin House Tavern is a must for anyone visiting Gettysburg.

Stonington, Ct.
“Put this on your list!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

When I travel, I like to ask locals to fill in the answer to this question..."Before you leave make sure you What?" During our 3rd visit to Gettysburg (family connection to the Civil War) the answer we got from 3 out of 5 locals was "eat at the Dobbin House." Well we took their advice and although we had lunch in the Tavern downstairs not dinner upstairs it was an amazing experience. Very good food, including a great hamburger cooked the way I like it and the best French Onion Soup I've ever had. They provided wonderful service in an incredible atmosphere in a building that is truly a piece of history. A huge "walk in" fireplace complete with all the period hardware which is right next to the stairs where there's a secret compartment that was used for the Underground Railroad. Things like that give me pause every time. It was nice to visit a restaurant where the food rivals the atmosphere and you know they care because they're putting a lot of effort into the food and the experience even though, as a visitor, you may only eat there once.

Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
“A most quaint, yet elegant dining experience.”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We visited the Dobbin House twice during our visit to Gettysburg. Our first visit found us in the upper dining room (old bedrooms), where we had our own private candlelight "bed" for two. A few of the booths are decorated like 4-poster canopy beds. The ambiance was lovely and the food divine. Our server was attentive and most pleasing. One note: while waiting to be seated, we had the chance to visit a small museum showcasing a slave hide-away and history of the house during the Civil War.

Our second visit found us in the Tavern, which is in the basement. The dining experience contrasted to the upper dining room. The Tavern has a relaxed atmosphere, where one will be found dining in close proximity to the other patrons. It is seemingly reminiscent of what one would call the old tavern days gone by. Each table in the Tavern is lit by candles, which adds to the authenticity of the experience.

• Visited September 2011