“Atmosphere - 10; Food - 5”

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We had dinner in the downstairs Spring House Tavern based on a recommendation by a friend who had visited in the past. Upon entering the Tavern, we were greeted by a friendly hostess who cleaned off a booth at our request. The Tavern is lit by candlelight and the atmosphere is very charming. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. My DH and I shared a bowl of french onion soup which was very good but had bits of beef in it - which I was not fond of. For our entrees, I selected a half chicken roasted on a spit - one of their house specialties; DH had marinated chicken breasts; both were served with a salad and baked potato. We agreed that my chicken was much more flavorful than his. However, my plate was so small - more of a luncheon plate than a dinner plate - that dealing with half a chicken and a large baked potato was quite a challenge. We shared the pecan pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. It was served warm and delicious. Although the food was good, it wasn't exceptional. We will recommend the restaurant to friends and family...the food was good but the atmosphere is the reason to eat here.

There are newer reviews for Dobbin House Tavern

Reviewed June 29, 2011

The "tavern" is downstairs with candles and staff in period costumes. We had lunch there, sharing the 1/2 roasted chicken and crabcake sandwich. Both were seasoned to perfection with more than adequate helpings. The service was excellent, even with a full house at 2 pm and our only regret was that we discovered it on our last day there! They also have info on the full dining room and their B & B at: http://www.dobbinhouse.com/

1  Thank Bchgrl9
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We made reservations to eat here and it was delicious!! The atmosphere takes you back to 1776. There are candles on the table and the staff dresses in Colonial costume. I had the filet mignon and it was one of the best I have ever had. Our waiter Sean was really helpful and made suggestions. I would definately return here!! It is fine dining, but casual dress is appropriate.

1  Thank OhioSuzy
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had to wait for about 45 minutes for a table and the wait was well worth it. The food was excellent, the celler restaurant atmostphere was awsome and the service was great. I took my wife, my son's 26 and 9 yrs old, and the experience was the best we had in the several days at Gettysburg. This is a must do in Gettysburg! I had the NY Strip and it was one of the best I have had in some time.

2  Thank MrWalleye
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We really enjoyed the lunch we had downstairs in the bar. The wait staff wore period costumes and the bar was the orginal. Since it was only lunch time we didn't order anything to complicated. We both had sandwiches. I had the roast beef and it came with broth to dip it in. The serving size was bigger then I expected. We also order the onion soup to share. It was very flavorful. We enjoyed the atmosphere so much.

We did have a stiff drink with our lunch....vacation, why not! My boyfriend order a "Rum Bellies' Vengence which is made from 150 proof rum. This is not a girly drink even though it looks like it. Every customer is limited to 2 per visit.

On our next trip to Gettysburg, we will be eating her again.

1  Thank Bonadebi