“Historic, but skip the dinner”

Dobbin House Tavern
Ranked #5 of 128 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manassas, VA
“Historic, but skip the dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

We ate here on our anniversary trip. We tried walking in to get a table, it was full and a two+ hour wait, but were directed to eat outside on their patio which was first come first serve. We got a table quickly, but the menu was not the same as inside, there was also all of this construction on the road next to us, so every time a car passed by we got blasted with construction dust. You’d think the city would go by with a street sweeper or hose or something for such a touristy area. My crabcake sandwich was pretty good, but my husband’s filet was over cooked, he didn’t like his crabcake and his potato didn’t come with anything on it, he had to ask for cheese and sour cream etc, but the staff was very nice and accommodating. We got a free dessert because the steak was overcooked, but it was still a $30 filet and crabcake meal that we had higher hopes for. I would visit again just to walk around the place, but wouldn’t eat there.

I gave atmosphere 4 stars if you are sitting inside, and 4 stars if you are sitting outside when there is no construction and the streets are clean!

• Visited June 2011

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Anything but fine dining!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Dinner was very disappointing. The fining dining area was overly crowded. I sent my overcooked, dried out roasted duck back to the kitchen. Only good thing about our experience is that we got to eat in one of Gettysburg's oldest buildings.

• Visited June 2011
Barga, Italy
“Quirky and pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Probably a personal thing for me but the whole period dress thing of the serving staff was a bit OTT for me and there seemed to be a significant margin in the price for it. The food was OK but nothing exceptional. I would have preferred better food for the price. Like many places in the US, this is stodge heaven. The butter server with the delicious breads was a huge ice cream scoop full. I did not recognise it was butter at first...

• Visited May 2011
NE OHIO
“Fun, unique, decent priced, casual, relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had just driven 6 hours and were very hungry and tired when we arrived here (Springhouse Tavern). We had a nice meal and great service. Enjoyed the nut bread with the fruit plate, also had the hot crab spread for appetizer. Both were good and fresh.

Visited May 2011
Birdsboro, PA, USA
“Not Fine Dining”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

Dobbin has a Tavern and a Fine Dining Restuarant. The description on their website sounded enchanting so we made a reservation for the following weekend at the fine dining part.

We arrived on time and had to wait fifteen minutes to be seated upstairs at a little table in the middle of the room. The place was packed with tourists since it was a Saturday night and the noise was about 110db. Wife and I were overdressed for this fine dining establishment. Apparently their dress code for fine dining means wear the jeans without the holes.

The server was prompt and courteous and took good care of us through our dinner.

Read reviews on here before booking there and several people raved about the Onion soup so we ordered it. It is the Kings Onion soup, not French Onion soup. I am a cheeseaholic but even for me there was too much cheese on this soup. There was a hint of an onion but no actual visual proof that there were any in the soup. It did however have large chunks of meat in the broth. Whoever said this was the best onion soup they ever had, has never had real onion soup. I would rate this one of the worst.

I ordered the Pork Tenderloin in raspberry sauce with a sweet potato and my wife ordered the crab with a baked potato. Dinner came with a salad and their much touted homemade bread. This turned out to be a couple slices of carrot bread and some mediocre white bread cut thick. My pork was four large pieces of undercooked meat. I did not send it back as it was getting late and I could not eat that much so I picked around the edges where it was done properly. My wife's crab was okay but nothing special for the price. My sweet potato was cooked perfectly.

Drinks were priced for the tourists at $7 for a glass of wine and my Planter's Punch. Would have been nice if they actually put some Rum in my drink. But hey, I wasn't in the islands so my bad.

Fine dining it is not, good food depends on the dish you order, ambiance if you like a noisy old colonial tavern is okay. Like so many places these days it is riding on its past reputation and is now catering to any tourist that has money to spend.

• Visited May 2011