“I expected better from a place called The Eisenhower...”

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
woodstock
“I expected better from a place called The Eisenhower...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

My fiance, 10 y/o son, and I had come to Gettysburg for the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival (It was AWESOME). The Eisenhower Inn was so not worth it. Upon arriving, myself and a few others waited in line for around 30 minutes just to check in. Someone who was in front of us, had a problem w/ their room, and instead of another desk clerk coming to help the rest of the line, it took about four of them to help that one person. So I finally get our room key, and we're in a seperate building. Which is fine. Oh, the PROM was also that night in the hotel! Nobody said anything about that when reserving the room. We take our things up...the bathroom could be cleaner, the floors were dirty, and the decor and furniture...looked like something from the 60's. We go to the festival, and come back to the hotel. My son is excited to get into the pool. We're walking to the pool...um how the hell do you get there? We walked all over the place trying to get to the pool b/c the passage way is blocked off b/c of the prom. So we go outside, and come back into the lobby through the prom to get to the pool. I know, when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have liked "intruders" walking all through the most important dance in the little high schooler lives...Anyway, the pool was a good size, although the water was tepid. The big hot tub...oh....the hot tub was NOT hot. It wasn't even warm. It was luke warm, like a kiddie pool that had sat over night. It SUCKED. There was no button to make the jets come on, and it was funky. The bottom was a little slimy. I sat in it for about 5 min, and tried to "tuff it out", but then I started to itch. Everywhere. We immediatly left the pool room, and went back to our room and took showers. I will never stay here. Ever. Again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CandiLynette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
stewartstown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

Although dated decor and mediocre desk assistance, the rest of the staff was top notch and friendly. It more than made up for the attitude of the front desk. The service could not have been quicker, friendlier and helpful. the food at our catered lunch was extremely good and hot for all 130 of us. The catering staff worked with us to make it as herbal as possible. The whole staff worked to make our symposium as successful as possible and it was. Thanks soo very much.
Mason Dixon Unit.
Herb Society of America

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments. We enjoyed having you and the other ladies here, and look forward to welcoming you again.
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

I have just returned from a scrapbook retreat at the Eisenhower Inn. We had nothing but great service, the room was clean and comfortable. The bed was simply amazing, I had a fabulous night sleep. I would recommend this hotel. We stayed in the Eisenhower 2 which is the new side so there was no outdated decor. It was all tasteful and clean. My only problem was with the plumbing, it really needs updating. My shower wouldn't work properly but when I mentioned it to the staff, it was immediately taken care of. I think a lot of the plumbing needs attention, the faucets squeak, the showerhead squirts all over. But those are minor things that hopefully their maintenance staff will take care of in time. Overall, a great experience & and thus a good review.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thanks for your comments. We're happy that you enjoyed yourself. We love our scrapbookers! Please don't wait fo rthe next scapbooking event. Come back to see us soon. There's always something exciting going on in Gettysburg!
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

What a shame, I never like leaving bad reviews, but to not this time, would be unfair to anyone who relies on Tripadvisor in selecting a motel/hotel. I/We are not a difficult person to please and understand that it is tough to run a business and please alot of people, But, The Eisenhower Inn & Conference Center falls short in many, many ways....First Problem ~ is the staff is NOT trained at all, we arrived at 9:30 pm with a confirmed reservation....The front desk clerk was unable to find an available room for us, after calling someone at home after trying for half an hour, she still was unable to use their computer system properly and then checked us in to and gave us keys to a an occupied room with children in it....back down to the front desk and after another 45 minutes, was given a room with one bed, when we had a confirmed reservation for two queen beds.we finally got into that room which we accepted at 11:00 PM....Over an hour and a half to check in with no one else at the front desk! NOTE: We also requested an adjoining room with friends who checked in earlier in the day, and that request was not honored....(our reservations were made One YEAR in advance, when our friends left the previous year)
Second problem ~ They told us about a $30.00 pet fee upon arrival, which was never mentioned when we originally booked the reservation, requesting a pet friendly room.
Third problem~ PLAIN & SIMPLE; They would NOT honor the AAA rate that we booked/found online....Everyone in our group were charged different rates for the same type of room? this is amazing since their website has set prices for specific types of rooms...No one paid the same price....we still can't fiqure this one out other than our group will not stay there again, as we spent the weekend looking in town and found a great motel for next year! (Point of Information- My credit card company had the Hotel adjust my rate/bill after I disputed it....Thanks...Chase (Bank)
Fourth Problem~ The rooms are very, very dated...which would be fine if you received Terrific service but with all the aggrevation and poor attitude from the staff, a room from 1974 is unacceptable. Sheets and pillows are Motel 6 quality. Cleanliness was fair, But there were dead flies on top of our window/sill a/c unit, which tells me the houskeeping staff does not move the curtains to clean/dust.
Fifth problem~ The Hotel raises the prices of the newspapers in the coffee shop/gift shop, I went to buy an Washington Post and they crossed out the $2.00 price and hand wrote $2.50....It is just a matter of principle when I can buy a newspaper in town for the Rite price...why try and rip off a guest for another .50 cents, that just tells me they do not care about customer service or pleasing the guest.
Sixth problem~ which would not be a problem if everything else was stellar w/ great service.....You are in the middle of NOWHERE, you must drive everywhere, which is fine if you understand this upfront, which we did...But with such POOR service and absolutly NO "WOW" factor here, it just makes an unpleasant experience even worse.
Please don't just read my review on tripadvisor, go back and read most of them, and book elsewhere and save yourself and family some aggrevation!

Overall Rating ~ POOR / AVOID

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank larilu
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Thank you for staying with us, although your stay wasn't what we would have hoped it would be. I appreciate the feedback you've given and understand why you were disappointed, given what you encountered. I am truly sorry, and I can assure you that we will use your experience as a way to better focus our efforts in delivering a positive guest experince.

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Bergen County, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I first stayed at the Eisenhower Inn in Nov. 2009 and my "best" memory was the first impression of my room - there were several flies by the window. This was a third floor room with a window that didn't open. How did this small group of flies get up here? I also recall being told by the cafe worker that I could not get a cup of hot water as per management.
This November, due to an even being held at the Eisenhower Inn, I again made reservations here. Due to all the media hype about bed bugs, I went on TripAdvisor to check to see if travelers here had any reports or sightings. There were 2 reports of 3 rooms and they were in July and September - too close already for comfort. So I was taking my chance. Upon arrival I was given room 640 on the 3rd/top floor of the newer Building 2. Before even getting to the bed to inspect the mattress for bed bugs, I noticed a number of large spider webs in the ceiling corners of the room, then more than a dozen or more live flies and ladybugs near the window, plus something tiny crawling on the ceiling (an ant?), and a few dead carcasses of ladybugs by the bedstand. Enough was enough, I left, went to the front desk and asked if all the rooms were in that shape. I was switched to Room 513 (same building, one floor lower, other side of building). Having just been grossed out, I did a very, very, very thorough of this second room. Nothing, not a single bug or insect. Still I was not very comfortable in the room having just seen what I did in the other room - okay my room was clear but what about the rooms adjacent to mine, were they full of insects.???
Temperature in the room was HOT - it was 45-55 degrees outside and I had the fan on (not heat) the entire time, trying to keep the temperature comfortable.
The first room also had the internal cover of a light fixture missing.
The hotel and 2nd room were mediocre at best. There was no favorable impression, first or last. And I paid $122 for the room. The internet reservation system had the room for $90 or so a night for AAA; when I inquired about this, I was told the website was wrong. And so, what? Don't we fix it???
The cafe lady was a talker, and while some people like that, I don't. I found her obnoxious and irritating. One morning there were about 10 people on line waiting to be served by her and for each person, she took the order and then went on and on about some topic like she had the gift of wisdom. (She didn't.) As far as I could see, this was to build up a rapport with her customers (the ones she is keeping waiting on line while she talks) so as to ensure she gets tips in her tip jar which is predominantly located at the front of th counter. Give me a break, I left no tip. If service were quick, efficient, and professional - then yes.
I ordered hot tea one morning. Did I say HOT???? It scalded the roof of my mouth and I actually had a layer of skin from it peel off. No warning from Miss Busybody at the counter as she inched the tip jar closer to me (to no avail).
I've decided that I will not stay at this hotel in Gettysburg. Despite the convenience, I don't like bugs of any sort and prefer not to be toyed with by an employee trying to earn a tip. I'd more likely give money to a panhandler on the street that was to the point without being obnoxious and condescending.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank civil-warrior
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I attended a four-day business conference here with about a hundred other people. Thus, the hotel was not my choice, but I'd certainly stay here again if the price was right.

I should point out that my room, and most of my conference, took place in Eisenhower II, the newer of the hotel's two buildings. "Newer" is relative. If you want a new hotel, there are alternatives in Gettysburg.

I spent a little time in the older part of the hotel, and it was, well, older. The bathrooms in the lobby of the older building were small and clean but could use some updating. However, they seemed well maintained. We had a dinner buffet in an inner courtyard near the pool. It wasn't upscale or gourmet, but food and decor were nice.

My room and the rooms I saw in Eisenhower II were clean and spacious. Mine had two queen beds, a couch, a chair or two, TV with cable (but no HBO), microwave oven, small refrigerator, and bathroom with two sinks. Many more lamps than I've seen in other three-star hotels. My mini-fridge didn't work when I arrived, but one phone call brought a repair guy.

High speed Internet access from the room was via Ethernet cable. I brought my own cable, but the desk also had them available. I didn't ask about wireless access.

Our group included a number of people with special needs, like wheelchair access and accommodations for seeing-eye dogs. The hotel was chosen in part because it was accessible.

Breakfasts and lunches were catered by the hotel, buffet style. They were okay, not exciting, kind of like a college cafeteria thirty years ago, but presumably you get what you pay for. If my conference had wanted to pay for gourmet meals, I bet the hotel kitchen would have obliged. To their credit, there were always non-meat options at each meal -- eggs, tuna, cheese -- although vegans probably had difficulty finding protein.

Other reviewers mentioned the distance from the center of town. I had a car, and it took 5-10 minutes to reach the battlefield, restaurants and other tourist sites. I also believe that Gettysburg's tourist buses make a stop at the Eisenhower in their circuits to the tourist sites.

Random note. For those of us who have visited Gettysburg several times, and come to town in chilly, rainy November, the tax-free Outlet Shoppes are about 15 minutes from this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hjs22180
Melbourne, Fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

After I read the trip advisor reviews I was almost afraid to stay there. I was pleasantly surprised. Though the decor in the rooms could use updating they were very clean. Ours opened up to the pool, which was enclosed and heated. we sat out at our table at night and enjoyed cocktails.While it was freezing outside, we felt like we were in the tropics.
The help was very nice.
Eisenhwer is very near to the attractions, monuments etc. In town.
I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends