“Skip it”

Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Bayville, New Jersey
“Skip it”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I paid 100 per night to stay in this dumpy hotel. I was in the older section and my room was dirty and smelled. I also killed a few bugs while I was there. I would not recommend this hotel for the price. The older section has wireless access but the newer building doesn't. The only plus is its location to the battlefield.

2 Thank turkeyssister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Woodbine
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Ok, where to begin. We just checked out after a three day conference and I could not wait to write this review, as I could not do so from the hotel without difficulty.

I should begin with my stay was dictated by the conference, or I would never have remained in the room even for one night, much less three.

This hotel was no doubt "top of the line" in it's day, the problem is that day was 60 years ago. Eisenhower is an apt name for the hotel as it has not changed much since he was our president.

Upon check in , I got my first taste of the un-helpful staff which would remain un-changed throughout my stay. My rate was in excess of $100.00 per night which I feel should enable me to expect a decent room.

My ground floor Eisenhower I room was adjacent to the enclosed patio / pool area. The hallway leading to my door, from the broken security door at the parking lot was long and dark. Unfortunately it was not dark enough to prevent me from seeing the worn out and much stained carpet on the floor of the hall.

Upon finding my room door, it resembled an antique home entry door, with a recently added electronic lock, my key worked the first time, unlike many of my fellow conference attendee's. The door was "sticky" and required a good push/kick to open and close each time I went in the room. This was apparently due to the water/humidty in the room which I immediately noticed by the SMELL.

This room reeked of old and moldy carpet, bedding and dropped ceiling tiles. The single king bed was covered in a musty and dusty duvet of a maroon color. It came with four pillows approximately the thickness of four sheets of notebook paper. One velveteen blanket of the same thickness. The bed sat on particle board pedistal and had a box spring along with a mattress which was as comfortable as a slab of concrete.

The bathroom contained yellow 50's tile and flat white wall board much stained with a tub/shower whose nozzle could take paint off a Ford Truck. The water temp would scald a dog should it wander near.

The carpet in the room must have been left over from the hallway, as it was worn out and dirty.

As to the "internet" , apparently even though it was promised it was absent, when I asked the front desk, the clerk who was really not interested, told me it was "out, and there was nothing they could do about it" , this remained over the entire three days I was there.

When I used the "business center" (u get a key with on a brass ring the size of a small car tire) to gain acess to the internet I found Bill Gates first computer there, along with his orignal printer (no paper available).

Let me tell you about the maid who doubled as the waitress, buss boy, and pool cleaner, what a life she must have there. The only bright employee works the deli and wishes to write a book about every person she meets, I say this because she enquires about the background of every person she meets.

On another note, we had catered food from the resturant it was a surprise because it was fairly decent. However the pricing lacked alot, the cost of a canned soft drink was $1.50 a bottle soft drink $2.00 a beer $5.00. Oh an by the way , do not show up to a conference room early as you will find the doors locked, and be forced to wait in un-air conditioned hallways.

If you have kid's there is a large amusement area nearby (on the grounds) that for the most part is closed. There is also a large lake/pond that is home to flocks of traveling Candians (geese that is).

All in all, I would not recommend staying there to anyone. We were much relieved to put the Eisenhower in the rear view mirror!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank halfpint1

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Reading, PA
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Hotel is large and spread out over 2 buildings. Lots of room for soccer tournament players (Gettysburg Blast). Pool was small for the number of people there. Deck was slippery. Did not dine in the restaurant. Deli was typical hotel price - more expensive than local but not as expensive as Disney!

Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. We had a room that slept six, but they only put towels in for 4, so we needed to get additional towels. Small refrigerator was a plus.

When booking, please be sure to call directly too. Sometimes you can get a better price than online.

• Stayed August 2010
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We booked for an overnight stay. We thought the grounds were very nice . Our family found it to be adequate and comfortable for our needs. The room was clean except for some construction residue (dust) on the exta vanity sink. The beds were comfortable, bring your own pillow, because their pillows are too thick. The only thing that really upset us, was that we couldn't getwi fi access for our laptop to look up places of interest while we were there. We didn't use the pool, so I can't comment on that. The lobby bathrooms are outdated, but that occurs in a lot of businesses. Also the blowdryer didn't work.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank -Luvthebeach-18301
Pelham, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We were booked at this hotel because of a dog show. I was a bit worried about staying here after reading all the reviews.
When we checked in it was obvious that the previous reviews about poor serviced were right on. The desk clerk was curt and treated us like we were lucky to have her attention at all. She also left us standing there mid-sentence as she answered the phone.
The room was not as bad as we expected. We had room 214 in Eisenhower 1 and the room was clean and did not smell bad. We also had concerns about bed bugs from previous reviews but did not have a problem during our stay.
The restaurant was very basic and the food was expensive and mediocre. I would recommend going to one of the many very good restaurants in the area. We had wonderful service and food at both the Dobbin House (Tavern) and the Pike.
The indoor pool area had the potential to be very nice. However, it was dirty, the whirlpool had clumps of dirt, sand, hair, who knows what in all the corners.
The biggest problem we had with this hotel was that they charged us for 3 extra nights that we were not even at the hotel (over $340). They refused to remove the charges at checkout, basically saying we were lying to them. Even though I specifically told them not to charge my credit card until it was resolved they did charge my card. I called the accounting department many times when I returned home and all my messages were ignored. Finally when I threatened to call my credit card company and despute the whole charge they did credit me, but not without a fight. I travel often and have never been treated so badly.
Another note, if you are travelling to this hotel for a dog show be aware that the dog show facility is not walking distance from the rooms. You will need to drived over to the show area with the dogs in your vehicle.
We are planning a return trip to Gettysburg. However, we will not be staying at this hotel!

2 Thank TravelGirlMar
Youngwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 4, 2010

After all the reviews was a little worried to arrive. After getting there, front desk was very nice.Walked into our rooms and they was very nice,roomy, and cleaned.The hotel was beyonf our expectations! We stayed in Eisenhower 2 side and this hotel is beautiful! Even when we walked around in the hotel I seen nothing like everyone else said. I did see a little wall paper, and ceiling tile where water leaked in that needs replaced,But my opinion was I seen alot worse in hotels and that was minor!!!! NO BED BUGS! The room is very spacious,has a frig and microwave,clean and the best comfortable beds I slept in at Hotel! Water pressure to take shower was great! Maid service was excellent....The only down fallI had was there was no hotel desk person on that side...But I guess they figure you can call or walk to the otherside of the hotel to the main desk?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank fleabittencustomer
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Rooms were comfortable and the staff friendly. The ballroom was 9000 sq feet and was very comfortable for our 160 attendees. Very close to the battlefields and visitor information center. Everyonoe worked hard to make our stay a good one.

1 Thank pat58394