“The managers drink on the job” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
mississippi
“The managers drink on the job”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I was really impressed with most of the staff, they met all of our needs, were real out going and when we had to leave early they were more then professional about the situation. My one complaint is during our stay we were standing in the lobby and the the General Manager was trying to start a fight in the lobby, there was children around, employees standing there looking terrified, she was cursing and making threats of firing anyone, stating I am the boss around here, etc, the bad thing was that we all saw her drinking earlier in the bar area, and the next night her and another manager that was present at the desk the night before were drinking together in the bar, what type of establishment allows their managers to be under the influence while working? Other then that one night the rest of the place was great, I hope to go again, prob not with my children though:).

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Hokes Bluff, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I recently spent two nights at the Eisenhower Inn during an onsite conference. I stayed in the older section of the hotel named the Eisenhower I section. This part of the hotel appears to have been built in the 70s. If you have ever seen the movie "Cannonball Run" this hotel reminds me a lot of the hotel used in the opening of that movie.

My room was clean as was the lobby and other areas of the hotel. The onsite gift shop/deli was a nice compliment to the on property restaurant. The hotel had wireless interent although I found it difficult to get a signal in the conference room we were using.

The staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. Other staff at the hotel were helpful as well.

As I mentioned above the hotel is older and although there have been updates it still has the feel of an older property. That makes it difficult to compare to a newer property. If I were staying in Gettysburg again I would consider the Eisenhower but I would also consider newer hotels.

• Liked — On site amenities
  • Disliked — Dated feel of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Louisville, KY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

We reserved several nights, but after night 1, we got out!! It was nasty! We old and in need of updates, but didn't even seem clean! When we checked out we heard several other guests complaining!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Conneaut, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

We drove to Gettysburg after leaving a dump in DC. It was late when we arrived and could not be happier with the hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly. We had breakfast at Richards located in the hotel and it was excellent.
We are planning a trip to the area next year and will be staying at the Eisenhower Inn.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

Had a voucher for a two night stay at the Eisenhower, didn't expect much, we were totally blown away!
We got a room in Tower 2, it was very nice. Clean clean clean!
Bathroom was clean and stocked with towels, carpet was clean, beds were clean, a/c was cold and pool was nice!
After a trip to Philly, it was nice to come back to a cold pool and comfy bed.
I can't wait to stay there again. It was such a nice place, we all loved it!
Never made it to the sports complex, but maybe next time.

• Liked — pool, clean comfy room.
  • Disliked — it was great! No complaints.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

My wife and I had an excellent time when we stayed at the Eisenhower in June '08 for DeLorean Car Show 08.

=Rooms=
Our room was pretty standard the way hotels go these days, however, it had one major asset - it overlooked the indoor pool & bar area. Although we consider this an asset, some might not, as the pool was accessible to guests 24 hours a day. We each had a double bed. A single Queen bed was also available. The room had both an iron and a hair dryer, but they could not be used at the same time.

There was a strong, slightly offensive smell in our room, however, turning the a/c on for a couple of minutes completely dissipated the odour.

=Staff=
The cleaning staff were Ninjas in their own right as we never saw a single one, yet we were constantly walking the halls. We always found our room mysteriously cleaned upon our return, no matter what time of day.

The staff, save one snappy manager who may have just been overwhelmed by the large DeLorean/Bricklin convention going on, were extremely friendly.

=Bar/Lounge/Pool=
The lounge area must have undergone a recent renovation as it was the nicest & most modern-looking of the entire building. Another bar around the pool had a tropical feel and was quite nice. The pool was quite shallow, but very nice and extremely clean. The hot tub wasn't heated. It was, essentially, a cold tub.

=Food=
The restaurant however, was in desperate need of a renovation. The sad wallpaper and tacky 80's style were too funny. The breakfast buffet we had there wasn't the best. The eggs were average, the home fries were average, the biscuits were downright inedible - but the fantastic bacon, that sweet, delicious piggy meat, was their one saving grace.

=Conclusion=
The Eisenhower, as far as I know, is one of the few independently run hotels in the country. That being said, it's quite impressive that they have kept the building updated and can remain competitive with the big chains. I would not hesitate recommending this hote/conference centre to anyone.

• Liked — The pool and bar area.
  • Disliked — Breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dahlonega, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was the hotel for the DeLorean Car Show. The entire hotel was reserved for guests of the car show.

There are 2 sections of the hotel. One is new the other one is just old. I stayed in the old section.

We checked in and were surprised to find out that we had a room right next to the pool. I wasn't sure if I was going to like that because from past experience at other hotels, it's always loud if you're by the pool.

We locate our room and I was surprised by the shabbiness. Everything looked to be at least 30 years old. The tile in the bathroom is the same tile I've seen in homes that are that old. Same with the sink fixtures. The only things that have been updated are the mirrors and toilet. The pictures were so old that the prints were wavy under the glass. There were some marks on the tiled ceiling and a huge burned carpet spot from an iron (where there was no iron in the room) on the floor.

Now to the condition of the beds. Well, I guess I should be grateful that I had somewhere to sleep. I pulled by the covers and on one bed, the standard velour blanket had a cigarette burn (we were in a non-smoking room) and on the other bed, the blanket had a HUGE hole in it.

My biggest complaint would have to be the pool and hot tub (or should I say lukewarm tub). The enclosed area for the pool was nice and had a tropical theme. The pool was nice and big with a shallow and deep side. It was also freezing. You could only swim a little before your extremities turned blue. The pool is supposed to be closed at 10:30 pm daily. Well, it's around 2 am in the middle of the night (both nights we were there) and it's loud. People are laughing, swimming, arguing, etc. The pool is not closed....ever. You may like that kind of thing, but with a small child, we like a little quiet. If I could have changed rooms, I would have.

Bottom Line: There are 5 million better, cheaper, newer, etc. places to stay in Gettysburg. I felt I was forced to stay there because the car show was there. It was nice that that it could accomdate all guests, but I'll NEVER stay there again.

• Liked — Short stay and close to Gettysburg
  • Disliked — Almost everything.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business