“Dated, but clean with good service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Washington DC
“Dated, but clean with good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Yeah, it is showing its age, but you are visiting a historical location right? A little "history" in the hotel can't be a bad thing, right? But if you are looking for charm, a little romance, steer clear. This is a place for a family or conference. No ambience. But for our conference it was fine. The conference room was fine, they provided good food. Very friendly staff, quick to help. (Shout out to helpful Bethany at the front desk).

As for room itself, 1st floor, it was decent. It was also huge! I have never stayed in a room where there was an echo. However, it is not huge in an impressive way, just huge in a big rectangular, not enough decor on the walls, way. Still, comfortable enough beds, everything worked. Pillows were kind of hard, though. I would never stay here on a romantic weekend, but for work conference, sure, why not?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BikeArlington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This property was probably a top facility when it was built in the 60's(?) but it has likely not been updated, just the occasional coat of paint. It has a a musty smell in the hallways although the room did not smell. Rooms are dated and worn and while the mattresses were new, the sheets did not fit so you spent the night fighting with them. Bathroom mirror sported a sticker that said they marked linens with invisible ink and you would be charged if they were not all accounted for when you left! Maybe a concern if they were top notch linens...
Although I booked directly on their website, they did not have our reservation. Not a problem since they had rooms and after we saw the room we knew why.
It is a lot farther from the town and all the sights than we expected but since it was November and not peak season we did not have any problems finding parking so we didn't use the shuttle.
Indoor pool looked ok but needed updating. Fitness center equipment had dust on it.
Generally, everything was old and in great need of updating. We would not stay here again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JPVM13

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Cockeysville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have spent the past 2 years working very closely with and planning a very large conference at the Eisenhower Hotel. I cannot rave enough about the hotel staff, service, food, accommodations, and overall positive atmosphere we experienced over the 4 days of our event.. We had 250 people in attendance and had luncheons that had 80-85 people - all the food was hot, delicious and served promptly by staff that was always friendly and had a smile- The Italian Lunch Buffet that had 160 people in attendance & had many people saying it was the best food they've ever eaten at one of our conferences in years. The same was said of the Island Buffet Theme we had one evening. The Aspire Hotel has been completely redone and ALL rooms had new beds, flat screen TV's, carpets and updated décor. All of the hotel staff bent over backwards for us. Our total experience was so positive that we will return to this site for future conferences.

Room Tip: Best to stay in the Aspire where everything is new... the walk between the hotels actually is very...
1 Thank michelle t
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I booked this hotel because we were having a work conference there. It was horrible! There were ceiling tiles missing, mold on the ceiling, the bathroom door looked like it had been kicked in, and there was dust everywhere. I ended up having to leave the hotel at 2 am because every time the heat came on dust would be blown into the air and I couldn't breathe. I would not recommend this hotel.

2 Thank AshleyB05
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently spent several days at the Eisenhower/Aspire Hotel for a conference. The rooms, lobby, hallways, and conference rooms are extremely outdated and in poor repair. One of the conference rooms smelled so badly of mold that I had a headache all day. Another member of our group checked out of her room in the middle of the night because she became ill due to the mold.

I stayed there 3 other times during the conference planning process (the decision to stay there wasn't mine, but I supported my organization when they made the choice). Each room I stayed in had a broken lamp, cracks in the bathroom tile, stained carpet, and unidentifiable stains on the walls.

We had several members within our group who have special dietary requirements and food allergies. We were very specific for several months beforehand about the kinds of meals that we would need. After we chose the menus, we told them exactly how to prepare the gluten-free and vegetarian meals, yet they failed miserably. The gluten-free people received a plain, rubbery chicken breast for every meal and no side dishes or dessert. The vegetarians received a portabella mushroom disaster. The hotel made no effort whatsoever to accomodate us.

It didn't seem like we were missing much, though, because the rest of the food looked like frozen meals that were just heated up. None of the food was made from scratch. I've seen better food in the frozen food aisle at the grocery store.

It was also confusing having the Eisenhower and the Aspire be two separate hotels. There were a lot of errors with room reservations, and finding your way through the buildings is like going through a maze.

There are a couple of positive things I can say: The rooms are large, and the beds are comfortable. Most of the staff was friendly and tried to be helpful, but I feel that they just didn't have adequate training to provide a high level of service and customer satisfaction.

If you stay at the Eisenhower/Aspire, you get what you pay for. I've stayed in other hotels in the Gettysburg area that were at a similar price, and those places were cleaner and friendlier. Do youself a favor and find another place to stay in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
1 Thank Bailey0903
Maplewood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We booked at the last-minute for parent's weekend at Gettysburg College and should have checked the reviews first. The lobby was nice enough when we checked in but right away they told me I had 2 different reservations booked though 2 different websites but I only looked at and booked through one, which that reminds me, I had better check my credit card bill to make sure I wasn't charged for two. The hallway was a little dingy/banged up and the carpet could use a good cleaning. The beds were comfy BUT, the sheets were too small and did not totally cover the mattresses. The blankets looked a little old so I slept with the sheet only. The furniture was cheap, well-worn, dark-stained pine that needed replacing. Somehow we ended up in a suite
with 2 rooms which would have been good if we had the kids with us but it was only the two of us but that meant we had two bathrooms and NEITHER toilet worked. They had a push button on the top and lacked any kind of pressure to flush. If you kept pushing, eventually things kind-of flushed away but aftterward, the toilet continued to run and run. The towels which were thin and cheap and we were only given two bath towels....for a suite that can sleep up to six?!?!?!. The TV lacked any kind-of guide to tell what was on the channels and though it did have some kind of cable, selection of channels was VERY limited. Our room opened to an inner courtyard that was enclosed and had a pool which would have been okay if the area and pool have been heated....way too cold to swim in October. What makes this experience especially annoying is that I overpaid for the room on top of everything.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KarenD27
Tiltonsville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Okay, the other reviews are relevant to the property. We always stay here for a day or two every year. Yes, the property's decorating is dated, why, because I remember some of it from when I was in high school and stayed, 1981. The staff was responsive to me, the room was clean and the beds were super. Stayed in a inside first floor room, with 2 queen beds. The mattresses were top notch and made a great sleep. The pool was cold, obviously heat NOT working, they really should warn the guests. My wife has a serious heart condition and it made her sick, to the point it was difficult to get out of the pool. Had a pool lift, no stairs. Did not work, no instructions. If you have been staying there on a regular basis, they have made strides and are continuing. Clean, comfortable, but needs some work.

Room Tip: The rooms on the pool are nice, easy walk out and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family