“It's okay...”

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
“It's okay...”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel due to a conference that I recently had there. Yes, it is large enough to accommodate several hundred people, However, for the price that we paid, there are better hotels in the area that have more modern facilities. Besides the out of date look of the place, it was clean and most of the staff was friendly, minus one that I encountered, and the food was good. I had no issues with my room, and my friends didn't either. I would stay here again if I had to, but it would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: Try to get in one of the recently renovated rooms if you can. The olders rooms are quiet, but the be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
WRIGHTSVILLE
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I just got home from my 10th stay at the Eisenhower.....it has never been my favorite place I have stayed but it is usually adequate. I want to state upfront I was hesitant about this stay because of the bed bug reports I had seen. There were NONE found in our room and I had 900 plus friends also staying there this weekend and NO ONE said one word about bugs....Staff was wonderful as far as I am concerned although the housekeeping staff could possibly use a higher quality vacuum to pick up the little things on a carpet.....the inside pool and party area was extremely warm and humid and just not a comfy feel....rooms in this area should have more table and chairs in the patio area.....room could have used a paint job....and I would've liked a refrigerator and microwave like the other rooms and maybe even a newer television but I didn't spend that much time in the room.....all in all a nice 4 day weekend.....under new management so they may be changing a few things for the better....will see them next March for sure

Room Tip: I rated the room poor only because the furniture is somewhat dated....beds were very nice however
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear MICHAELHWrightsville,

Thanks for selecting the Eisenhower Hotel for your 10th visit to Gettysburg, we appreciate your loyalty and your accurate TripAdvisor comments. Thanks.

We especially appreciate your posting your review and saying that you and your "900 friends" found the hotel to be clean, our "staff was wonderful" and that you had a "nice 4 day weekend" at the Eisenhower Hotel.

Yes, the hotel is under new management and we are working hard to provide our guests with the best hospitality experience in Gettysburg. We have bought new TVs, new furniture and are moving forward every day.

And thanks for your comment about the vacuum, we will give this some consideration!

We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return next March!

Thanks.

DRH
Bronx, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

From one to 10 ten being the best here how i rate this place.
The food was a 5 out of ten.(no room service)
the staff was 4 of 10 ( rude in a passive way)
The Pool area has a great setup but not heated so a 6 of 10.
the room have the oldest set up i have ever seen and no HBO (5 of 10)
you can do a lot better with so where else

Room Tip: ask for a second floor pool side room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nick D
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is decrepit to say the least. It smells like old man hair and smoke. The rooms are severely in need of repair. Dead and live bugs everywhere and worst of all BED BUGS!!! I got bit about 10x and so did a few of my other neighbors. At 1st the hotel denied it until I showed them a pic of 1 I find, next to someone blood on my lovely mattress.

We finally got moved to the 'deluxe' side of the hotel which had faulty plumbing. Dead bugs literally on the nightstand and huge stains all over the mattress that it was obvious no one attempted to clean.

This has been the absolute worst experience of my life, and Im usually quite easy going. I've stayed in hostels before that we're 10x cleaner than this. I had to wash an dry all of my clothing and then seek medical attention because the bites became infected from all the scratching.

The hotel offered no acknowledge me of the incident so certainly no apologies. I'll will be taken legal action and warn you all to stay away from this nightmare in the middle if nowhere.

I traveled with a private group so wasn't aware of the hotel until we got there. I usually come to trip advisor to scope out the hotel before I get there and I curse myself for not doing so earlier as most of the reviews were bad and the ones that are good are probably people who are satisfied will below par service. NEVER AGAIN

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Glamzon_17
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Glamzon_17,

Thanks for staying with us at the Eisenhower Hotel, we appreciate your group leader's selecting our hotel for your group gathering. And thanks for using TripAdvisor, even though we don't find your review to be accurate, we value every comment our guests post.

First let me state that we take every precaution the prevent pests of all types in our hotel. We have a standing contract with Orkin who not only tests our rooms, hallways and entire building, they take actions to eliminate pests with the changes in temperature and season.

As a result of your claim, we tested your room and several nearby your room. I am pleased to state that Orkin has provided a detailed report reflecting that there are NO BED BUGS, live or dead in these rooms.

Honestly, they did find 2 "stink bugs" and took actions to eradicate them from all areas.

As for your claim that your room had a smell of smoke, this is possible; since we do offer smoking rooms for our guests. Perhaps you had one of these rooms.

And while we do not agree with your statement, we are pleased to report that we take every pest claim seriously. We regret that your stay was less than you had expected, but we are pleased to report that there are NO BED BUGS at the Eisenhower Hotel.

Still, we continue to inspect our rooms daily and rely upon the profession experience of Orkin to help in this matter.

We appreciate the opportunity to provide a fact based reply through TripAdvisor and look forward to your return to the Eisenhower Hotel soon.

DRH

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were fortunately to get a renovated suite room that was just recently done.It was real nice! It had 2 rovooms to it.That's the reason I am giving it even 3 stars.The other rooms though are not that great.They are in dire need of renovating the WHOLE property.They are going to host bike week next year.As biker myself I hope they get this place completely redone by then.
The pool and courtyard would be real nice if they redo it.The hot tub does not work.It's been broken down for a while.The gym has worn out and old equipment.Plus it's small.
The front desk which includes Toni and I forgot the gentlemen name who works at night gave great customer service.So did Connie as well.
It's a great location.Away from town.
This place has great potential if the owners put the money into it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bryan B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

just came off my ski trip Feb 8-10 with my group we stay at the Eisenhower hotel Gettysburg Pa the place is just dirty sheets where gray, cover on the bed dirty, lamps broken, doorsbroken, spots of dry water in the celing walls has cracks, Balcony doors you had a hard time opening and closing some of the Balcony you could'nt open if you go to the Eisenhowe in Pa the rooms stink please take sprays it was a disappointment the way that place was the food was a mess we should stop going on the ski trips and hold these company accountable for this mess the change our hold week the guest we where supposed to have they book them in North Carolina the comedy guy stated he was not paid he would'nt performe a mess up hotel a mess up trip who does this my group made the best of it because they paid their money something has to be done this hotel was a mess this was a hell of a weekend we made do we paid our money my group understood things are subject to change this was a big change a real disappointment be carefully getting in the pool two people came out blue the hotel had painted the pool and forgot to tell guest or put up a sign stateing wet paint in the pool Iam done going on this trips that put people in dirty hotels like we are pressed

Room Tip: we was on a ski trip i did"nt look up the rooms Eastern light Getawys should have done that
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gladys G
Burnet, Tx
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband was deployed to Frederick, Maryland because of Hurricane Sandy. We stayed at the Eisenhower Hotel (which is a 30 minute drive from Frederick, Maryland) from November 2nd to December 21st. The rate we were given was a deciding factor for us to choose this hotel. However, the staff was very, very personable and professional. I enjoyed visiting with the front desk and housekeeping workers. Hopefully, I didn't delay them from their work. :-) The transportation to and from Gettysburg was a great way to learn about the area which I fell in love with. It was great to get to be home for Christmas, but it was sad to leave our second home. Travelers to the Gettysburg area should DEFINITELY try the Eisenhower Hotel!

Room Tip: Request the Eisenhower II building . . . it's the newer building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business