“PA Auto Recycler's event”

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Mechanicsburg
“PA Auto Recycler's event”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The staff was very friendly and easy to work with. Food was delicious and served promptly. Rooms were clean and very large. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you for staying with us during your Association's recent weekend event. We're happy to hear that you had such a nice stay here. Please think of Gettysburg and the Eisenhower the next time you're looking for a little R & R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed September 4, 2011

1. During the check-in process, the front desk agent took the phone calls first while we waited, Since when does the person on the phone take priority over the person standing at the desk???

2. Upon checking into the room, there was a stray hair on the bathroom floor, the sheet on the bed had a large black spot and there were iron burns on the carpet.

3. The pool was covered with mold and mildew, both on the tile around the pool, the umbrellas and inside the pool. It was pretty nasty.

4. When I checked into the two rooms I reserved, I asked if it would be OK to leave one set of keys at the desk for the other two that would be arriving later. The front desk agent, in between the phone calls she was taking, assure me it would be fine. When the others tried to get the keys upon arrival, this agent had no idea what they were talking about and said they had no record of my even being at the hotel. My traveling companions said this gentleman was pretty curt and not to bright. I take the lack of efficiency and customer service as poor training on the hotel management's part.

5. My first morning, I went down to the deli to buy coffee. I walked in to hear the woman who was behind the counter explaining to a customer that she spends her days at work trying be pleasant even though she hasn't had a raise in 4 years. She chewed the customer out that the $2 per cup of coffee was because he was in a hotel and she doesn't set the prices. Really, not something you want to hear first thing in the morning, especially when you are paying to have some rest and relaxation.

Besides customer service and cleanliness, what does a hotel really have to offer. I felt I got neither. The best part of my stay was the wireless was free and easy to access and I didn't bring home bed bugs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 951MaryS
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you for staying with us. It's obvious that you weren't happy and I want to apologize for that. I'm relaying your specific comments to our Housekeeping Manager, Front Desk Manager and General Manager so they're aware that we didn't meet your expectations. On behalf of everyone here, we do apologie for that.

Travelers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Deer Park, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The hotel was very reasonably priced,with the coupons I found on line. The room was clean and the hotel staff very nice. The pool was clean and heated. The hotel is like amaze not easy to get a round. there are actually two buildings that connect. They do have many things for kids to do,however most of it was closed while I stayed there. The lounge inside the hotel was great,the prices reasonable and the food was good. The bartender was also very pleasant. The restaurant though was over priced,and closed down early everyday i was there. My Family and I stayed 3 nights 4 days. I wound recommend this hotel overall,but find the coupons,its worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
MichaelElliott, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Gettysburg. We're glad that your kids enjoyed the pool area. It is often what families mention after staying with us. As you mentioned, we have a facility next door to us that has other kids activities. It is available for pre planned group activities, so it is not open for individual drop in visits. We rent it for school and church groups, birthday parties, corporate picnics and similar group events.
Please consider another visit to Gettysburg soon. Now that Fall is coming, we're looking forward to an area wine festival and the National Apple Harvest Festival.
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2011

what a great place to stay with kids. sure it may have decor issues looking out of date but who cares when you compare the price to other area hotels. the bed is the best it was a simmons beauty rest and you sure don't get that kind of bed all the time for the price you pay. did eat supper there one night and was expensive for what is offered but you live and learn. our roo had two queen beds,sofa bed, chair and ottoman and desk with chair with ample room getting around. the rooms are larger than your standard hotel room that i have stayed in with the extra furnishings. one thing is we did stay in the newer building so be sure to request that one if you decide to stay there. also it is four miles into gettysburg from it but the other "nice" newer hotels are out aways also.

Room Tip: request the eisenhower 2 building
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us recently. We're glad that you enjoyed your trip to Gettysburg and that you liked our hotel. We get a lot of compliments about the mattresses, and there's nothing like a good night's rest to start the new day. If you return to the area, please consider staying with us again. We often offer special deals for visitors and we'd love to see you again.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My very first negative review. Hate to write this one, but I do not mind writing a truthful review. This review puts the focus on the financial aspect only. I think hotels that do not handle financial affairs with the utmost respect do indeed deserve a bad review.

They gave me a bill upon checkout which was for one night + the $30.00 fee for the dog. OK, so far so good, right? Well, since I made my reservation with my credit card it was only natural for me to question whether or not it had been used to pay for the room.

"No, we did not charge your credit card". Ok, so I pay cash for the room charges. All good -we checked out about noon (late checkout time - which was okay when I called) Low and behold -today I checked my credit card statement online -- and boy was I shocked.

There was a charge from this particular hotel for 3 times the amount of their room rate. And I was told today that only the accountant could adjust the mistake. But, it gets better - when I told them of their mistake -- did they agree that the charges were a mistake? -- nope-- just told me there was nothing I could do about it until tomorrow. Plus the front desk agent also told me that I should have called before 3 P.M.

Before 3 -- now mind you, I was assured on Sunday 8/21 that there would be no charges to the card as I paid cash for our one night stay. This particular so-called manager was cold, rude and kept repeating that my card was only charged for one night. How can that be? The room was $99.00 for one night and the total charged to my credit card exceeded that by almost $200.00.. To further prove my point, I faxed a copy of my receipt which illustrated that my bill was paid for in cash. Still, I got no satisfaction from the front desk.

This was no small charge -- unless $295.82 is considered a small charge. But it almost put my card into a negative balance and I am very unhappy with the whole
experience at the Eisenhower Inn. Good customer service goes a long way toward a satisfied guest. I am definitely a very dissatisfied guest and promised them this type of review. Apparently they do not care. Someone else who reviewed this hotel had basically the same experience, so I should have been paying attention to the content of the review as I would hope that others heed our warnings.

What started out as a positive experience turned negative once I realized that these folks simply do not care and they were quick to deny the use of my card when I checked out, when in fact those charges were put on my card even before I had checked out. What kind of hotel does this? Needless to say, the reservation I had made at checkout for November was cancelled immediately. I do not know whether or not they will remove the bogus charges, but if not, my next move will be to consult with an attorney and definitely report them to the Better Business Bureau!

Do not let the building fool you. The building is only as good as the people who run it and these people are not running this hotel for the guest. They are interested in money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Love_Florida_Sun
Thanks for staying with us recently. After I read your comments, I spoke with our Hotel Accountant to learn more about what happened. Also, I believe you have spoken with her since posting this review.
It's accurate to say that the credit card authorization was placed on your account at check in, but at no time was your card actually charged. When a guest presents their card to establish credit during their stay, we obtain an authorization as do almost all businesses. We don't actually charge a guest's card unless they instruct us to do so at check out time, and I'm sure your card was never charged.
In order to release an authorization, it's necessary for our Accounting office to speak to a specific department at the issuing Bank, and that's why we needed to wait a day until our Accountant was able to speak directly with the correct people at your Bank.
We're glad you stayed with us and hope this explanation provides a proper explanation.
Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here on Saturday August 20 after spending the day in Gettysburg. We reserved a king with sofa bed, non smoking and everything was as we requested. The room was spacious as was the bathroom, the second sink was handy as was the iron and ironing board. The kids were able to run around outside as they have well maintained grounds. The boys enjoyed the pool, I found it too hot with the rooms air conditioning venting into the pool area. We had a drink in the bar lounge and ordered pizza from Papa John's. The beds were really comfortable, great quality bedding and super quiet, never heard people in the halls or doors slamming, we had a great night's sleep! The Eisenhower is a bargain at $89.00 a night compared to the other hotels I had looked at. The hotel is dated but very clean and a little outside Gettysburg around 5 miles.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
MichaelElliott, Director of Sales at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Thank you for staying with us, and for your kind comments. We appreciate your business, and hope we'll see you again soon. There's always something new to do in the Gettysburg area.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Their website is "VERY" MISLEADING.... Looked like a a beautiful place to stay with the family of 5. We arrive to only have problems at check in and the service started of very unfriendly and not very welcoming. The hallways of the hotel were warm like the heat was on while it is 87 degrees outside. The rooms are not up to date and dirty. The AC in our room did not work and had to be switched out to another room. There are no signs or direction markers indicating where you are or are going. Over all a very bad experience.

2 Thank kimalot2002
Thank you for staying with us recently. We're sorry that you didn't enjoy yourself as we would have hoped. We understand that it's a hassle to check in and find that the AC isn't working properly in the hall or in your room. We should have caught that issue and resolved it prior to giving you that room.
If you return to Gettysburg any time, we do hope you'll give us a second opportunity to impress you. Wishing you safe travels wherever you go.