“Dont Waste Your Money”

Gibson's Photographic Gallery
Ranked #35 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I will never be returning to Gibsons and if I wasnt so sure that I would get chewed out/ hung up on by the owners I would be calling back demanding to get a refund. I have gotten over 10 tin types done, so I am not new to this. Not only was Mr. Gibson extremely rude but the quality of our tin type is the worst I have seen. We had to pose ourselves, no head stand was set up so I am blurry and you can see the top of the backdrops and props. He was flustered,cold, disrespectful and rushed. It was given to us in a giant envelope allowing it to slide around and get scrapped up a bit. We dropped $120 on just one tin type and thats not a cheap price. The least they could have done was treat our experience with care and take their time. If you cant handle the tourist rush then dont be open. I am livid that I am out $120 for something that was supposed to be and enjoyable experience and not irritating and vastly disappointing one. I am in Gettysburg a lot and I will tell people to save their money as it is just not worth it for that quality. I thought I would get a high quality tin type as he is supposedly "the best" in the business, but I think I could have done better. Save your money and go get a digital old time picture done elsewhere. As for me, it was a wasted hour and a wasted $120 that I could have spent doing something way more enjoyable.

5  Thank A K
RJGibson, Owner at Gibson's Photographic Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

My policy has always been 100% satisfaction for the past 20 years. I do not know who this reviewer is, nor have we had any complaint about my work. I never allow clients to pose themselves, I have 3 headrest that are used when needed, and EVERY photograph is carefully inspected by magnification by myself and the client before ANY money is taken. If he's had 10 tintypes, and this is the worst he has had, I'd like to see the other nine.
I go out of my way to please every client and have a stellar reputation. I've reviewed every photo taken during reenactment week and cannot imagine who this could be.
I've never hung up on anybody. My tintypes cost $85 not $125, I think this is someone who has a personal agenda that has everything to do with me, and nothing about the quality of my work.
Its easy these days for someone to hide behind a keyboard and anonymously bash someone. I invite A.K. back to the studio with his original photograph, to reshoot or refund his money, but I'm not holding my breath, because I don't think I ever took his picture.

There are newer reviews for Gibson's Photographic Gallery

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It is one thing to put on period clothing from the Civil War and have your photo taken; it is another thing to have an actual tin type made for. Gibson is known through out the country and has been featured in many magazines. The walls of his business is filled with actors/actresses that were in the movies "Gods and Generals", "Gettysburg" and television (Mike from American Pickers and Ken Burns from Public Television documentaries). The staff certainly has had much experience with these photos and they have clothing jewelry, weapons, etc. to make you feel the part. They certainly were busy during the 15th anniversary of the battle. I couldn't make a reservation for the same day. My appointment was the next day at 4:30 PM and I left at 6:15 PM. It sounds like a long time, but it went fast as I spoke with other people in the room and then Mr. Gibson gave me a wonderful education on the process. They have photo packages as well. If you want a fun, historical experience, this is the place to visit!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

robert was wonderful with us and showed us the process of capturing the photograph. Dee was very sweet and her mother who was helping for the weekend was delightful.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Very pleased with the experience we had at Gibson photography! You could really why Mr. Gibson's work is so popular in his field.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I think this was my favorite thing that we did while in Gettysburg. This isn't just your standard dress up sepia digital photograph that EVERY tourist trap seems to have (heck, I did that in the 80's!). This is an experience. Rob and Dee helped my husband, daughter and I get dressed in Civil War garb, then took us through the process of photography as it was in the 1860's. The camera he uses doesn't just LOOK like an 1860's camera, it IS an 1860's camera. We had a tintype done, as well as a photo package done from the original tintype. Rob showed us the image through his viewfinder, and explained why it was inverted, as well as why people did not smile in photos back then. He showed us every step of the development process, which was really fascinating to watch. I especially liked watching the chemical reaction. The process takes time, and I have a better appreciation of photography in that time period.

Rob needed a bit of time to finish our package, and we had expected to look around at the other shops in the area. But we spent so much time talking with Dee that the time flew by. She showed us work that Rob had done for cast members of "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals", work he had done for The History Channel, and photos of him as he appeared as John Wilkes Booth, and as an extra on Gettysburg. Before we knew it, our package was done, and Rob had even made a special "calling card" photo for our daughter. He allowed her plenty of time to ask questions, and she could easily write a report on the process for school. He even told her about videos he has on You Tube so she can see it again, and invited her to email if she had any questions.

This was so much fun. For the tin type (which will last far longer than paper and, in Rob's words, will likely confuse the heck out of someone someday) and the print package, we spent just under $150. We all thought it was worth every penny. FYI, Rob also keeps the negatives on file, so additional prints can be made at a later date.

3  Thank Beargod