“Good for kids & pets” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Good for kids & pets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I booked this hotel for our 2 day visit to Gettysburg, and chose it because it was in the middle of the pack in terms of cost. I confirmed that we could bring our 2 shepherds. I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It was clean, and pretty freshly renovated. Our beds were comfortable and the room was spiffy. The hotel was well sound-proofed too.

The free breakfast in the lobby was quite respectable, and the kids loved that they could make their own waffles! The staff was responsive -- we told them that we needed a new shower curtain (current one was moldy) and it was replaced promptly. My only complaint was that they could have vacuumed the room when they freshened the towels, etc. Shepherds shed _a lot_!

The kids gave the pool a thumbs up. Not a huge pool, but big enough.

It's a very dog-friendly hotel in that there is a lot of mowed green space around, perfect for letting your dogs stretch their legs (on a retractable leash, there's a busy road right there!). Gettysburg Fries (in downtown G'burg) is dog-friendly too.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Amy53321, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Sorry for the delay in response, but I wanted to take a moment to tell you how nice it is to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the room not being vaccumed during your stay. On the plus side, I am happy to know you enjoyed the breakfast, our staff, and your children had fun in the pool! If your ever in Gettysburg were just a phone call away!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
berkley, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

On short notice we booked our room at the Super 8 of Gettysburg. All the employees were pleasant and approachable. We were welcomed and made to feel welcome. From our arrival the staff made sure we had what we needed, an extra cot, pillows, blankets. It wasn't early when we arrived but that didn't bother the staff. I will, and have recommended this hotel to my aunt. Nice job everyone. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Lawson, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

You have to remember that this is a Super 8, But that being said. This is the best Super 8 I have ever stayed at. It was clean, safe location, fairly new Hotel.

Best part is The hallways DOES NOT stinks, like most Super 8's.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

If you are traveling with a pet this is probably your best option. The staff was nice and friendly. Beds were clean and comfy. Hotel was quiet. Don't look closely at the carpet or the corners of your room. We had a hole in our bathroom door filled with newspaper. If you are traveling without a pet you should stay in the charming downtown of Gettsburg. I would only recommend this hotel if you are traveling with a pet.

Warrington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

So many things to say, none too good. All hotels will have issues, but this one's biggest was their amazing ability not to care. We experienced broken locks, poorly stocked breakfast bars, and a dirty pool area. We also had an incident with some personal items that went missing from our room that was instantly greeted with, "Well, it could not have been our cleaning people." When it came to the broken lock, the excuse was that we didn't really need it and that no one would get by the night desk manager. The hot tub area was closed down during our 3rd day there, and you could see the mildew around the edges of the pool. Although we were given a 10% discount, it was not offered until I had to point out what a terrible stay we had.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dome73
Super8Gettysburg, General Manager at Super 8 Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
This is a duplicate posting by the same guest that also wrote "One of our Worst Hotel Stays Ever". I can understand your frustration with your stay and your motive to post multiple reviews for the same stay. I have responded your comments personally through written correspondence and also on this forum.

Again, I apologize for the experience you had during your stay at our hotel and we have made all efforts to make it right and try to win back your loyalty to the Super 8 brand. Other travelers considering a stay at our hotel may see our response to these reviews below this one.

Regards,
Nick Modha
Warrington, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Quite simply put, the Super 8 Hotel in Gettysburg, PA was one of my family's worst hotel stay ever. When searching for a hotel for our family's long weekend getaway I was looking for three things: affordable, a swimming pool/hot tub, and an included hot breakfast. Indeed the hotel was affordable, at less than $300 for a three night stay. The room was clean and in reasonably good condition. I realize that at less than $100 per night I'm not going to have the top of the line.

Our first concern was that the bathroom was dingy. The tub just didn't seem clean. I wiped it down and decided to just deal with that.

We realized soon after check in that the top lock on our door did not lock. I immediately reported it to the front desk and asked for it to be fixed before we would be going to sleep. About 8 hours went by and it was still not dealt with. I returned to the desk and was told that it wasn't important that the lock was working because the front desk staff would ensure no one got by them who wasn't staying there. That might be true (although I wouldn't rely on it), but unfortunately the side door near our room which was intended to be accessed via card swipe never closed fully or locked during our stay. After I told the woman at the desk that her personal word was not good enough to ensure my family's safety (she didn't have a response to my question of why the lock was there if it wasn't mean to be locked) they did send someone to fix it.

The next problem was the pool. The hot tub was out of service and the pool area was quite simply disgusting and in complete disrepair. The paint was chipped up on at least 70% of the surface area of the deck. The door was held together with duct tape. The surface of the water was covered in grass (indoor pool!).

The breakfast was severely lacking. On the first morning they were out of most foods with an hour left in breakfast service. They were also out of milk. The little bit of "hot" food I managed to get on my plate was cold. Not having enough decent food to make a meal, we threw away the slop that we had on our plates and went to a restaurant. Three mornings of this ended up costing me $75. Certainly, I should have just spent that money on a better quality hotel.

The last incident occured when we returned to our room one day to find that the housekeeper had removed (stolen?) a bag of personal items. Upon reporting this to the front desk I was told "she would have no use for those things". That was the entirety of the response. We asked for some further investigation. By the next morning we were still met with blank stares.

All in all, a horrible hotel. Would not recommend the facitily or staff to anyone.

1 Thank mteaches
Thank you for taking the time to write to Super 8 Customer Service, Tripadvisor, and our hotel survey regarding your experience at our Super 8. I am sorry that you were disappointed with any of our staff's behavior, our hotel's condition, and any appearance of lack of concern regarding this situation.

During your 3 day stay, we did fix your lock situation, replenished food at breakfast when empty However, I realize that you did find a time when we were trying to restock and the containers were empty and for that I apologize. The allegations of stolen items were handled per our procedures, including a formal interview of the housekeeper for your room. Even though we were not able to find the personal hygiene items, we refunded an amount greater than the value of the items in an effort to compensate you. The front desk tried your room until 10pm that evening to let you know the results of our inquiry.
As a consumer, I know how I expect to be treated. I am truly sorry that I failed to provide you with my very best. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area.

Since your stay, I have written back to you personally and further adjusted your stay amount accordingly to make up for the experience you have had at our hotel, as well as given you an incentive to return and give us another try. I assure you that we will provide you with our very best on your return visit.

Regards,
Nick Modha
Elkland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

Thank you for all the hospitality - the front desk staff was amazing and very friendly. Rooms were clean and very nice. Loved the indoor pool. We surely will stay again and again.

Deanna Sherman