“Tacos full of water. Disappointing.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Costeno

El Costeno
Ranked #51 of 128 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: This restaurant has recently moved from 51 West street in Gettysburg to York Street.
Gettysburg
“Tacos full of water. Disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

After having a pretty good lunch there once a few months ago I decided to return last week. I ordered the ground beef tacos and they were so full of water I took the shell and tipped it sideways to pour it out. It was absolutely tasteless. Finally the shell got so soggy that I dumped out the beef added a lot of the salsa and used the bowl of chips to scoop it up. The salsa is good, but that was it. A small bit of iceberg lettuce and a little white (?) cheese. Indigestion all afternoon. I won't be back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Great! at an Excellent Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

The food is great. No, not the most exotic but since they grown spices on site along with some of the veggies, with others brought locally (spoke to the owners and you can see the gardens) you can taste the fresh. Everyone of my parties' meal was enjoyed with smiles and ended with clean plates. I urge any and all comers to try their 'coffee cake'. What it really is, is the best tasting tres leches infused with coffee. And if you have never had tres leches, try theirs and you will know what it is suppose to taste like. Others I have eater tasted like syrup and condensed milk - yeech. El Costeno's tres leches, ..., you will make it a habit (a bad habit for the waste line) but I like the coffee cake -- a la tres leches coffee cake. Only one issue, if the place is PACKED (which does happen) then you will wait for your food and service. BYOB as they don't have a liquor license. One last note, I don't claim that their food is authentic mexican, because I don't know what authentic is and honestly, you know as well as I do, one part of Mexico cooks food differently than other parts. This is just good food at very reasonable prices.

• Visited June 2012
Elma, New York
“Restaurant review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We sat outside at this restaurant and were very satisfied with the food. Service was awesome!

Visited May 2012
Philadelphia
“Great Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I were walking around Gettysburg looking for any place to eat dinner that didn't require a long wait. After a long, hot day I just wanted to sit down and eat something. We stopped in, and I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was really friendly. You get a basket of warm tortilla chips and salsa, which I thought tasted fresh. I ordered a dish called Yucatan Chicken, which included chicken breast, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, and mushrooms in a chiptole sauce with cheese on top and a side of rice. The sauce was excellent and the veggies were cooked perfectly, tender-crisp not mushy. I think it was $13.50. My husband ordered the burrito asada which had a green chile sauce, and it came with rice and refried beans. Sauce was really tasty, as were the sides. Everything tasted homemade. The decor is kinda dated with cafeteria chairs, but who cares? I would eat here again.

• Visited May 2012
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was hopeful that this restaurant would be really good authentic Mexican food but it was just ok.

Visited March 2012