“Son's favorite”

Victorian Photography Studio
Ranked #1 of 7 Fun & Games in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Whether you want to capture your family's precious vacation or get striking Civil War images , Victorian Photography Studio can make it happen with our extensive Civil War Wardrobe . You can count on us to deliver what we promise. -We offer 19th century Wet-Plate photography with a short hisory lesson on how the process was done. -We also offer the less expensive modern Digital photography.and Now you can rent Civil War clothing for any occasion.Come on in and see some 19th century cameras and props.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Crestwood, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Son's favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was not only a great way to capture a family memory via photo; but both our sons said it was one of the funnest things we did. They always like to play dress up when they were younger and I think this brought back memories of pretend play. We also learned a lot about the true period dress back in the 1800's. We would highly recommend.

Baldwinsville, New York
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we included the Victorian Photography Studio on our list of things to do while visiting Gettysburg. I've always wanted a photo like this of our family, so we stopped here in the morning to see if there were any appointments available for the day. The gentleman at the counter was polite, and scheduled us for 6p.m. that evening. We have a family of 5 (3 kids in their early teens). Our girls were excited to dress up in the clothes, my son and husband were less thrilled with the idea, but went along with us after a little persuading. When we returned at 5:50, we were met at the desk by 2 very friendly ladies who took us to a changing room and dressed us in beautiful dresses. We were educated on how the women dressed back then, very informative, and they quickly put up our hair, which came out great. When we came out for the photo, my husband and son were dressed as a general and soldier, looking very handsome, and we all giggled a bit at each other. We were positioned, told were to look, a quick snap of the camera and were were done. We opted for the digital picture, which came out beautiful. As we were leaving my husband and son commented on how much fun they had. We found the staff here to be very friendly. I do suggest during busy months to call ahead and make reservations and be sure to be on time. From the previous review, yes the historic portion of Gettysburg is the true attraction of the area, but this was the perfect keepsake from our trip. Thank you to the staff for such a nice experience!

Michigan
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Lots of fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our teenage daughters were reluctant to do this but my husband had "always" wanted to have one of these pictures taken. The girls had a great time getting dressed up and the picture turned out great. Tish explained a lot about how the ladies would dress in the day and even did their hair for the picture. Fortunately we were able to get an appointment quickly, but they were pretty booked up so I would recommend getting an appointment ahead of time.

Darien, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“The perfect way to commemorate your trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My twin sons and I stopped in at the end of our visit to Gettysburg during spring break. It was the perfect way to cap off our trip. We opted to take an old fashioned wet plate photo. (Looks even more authentic than a classic photo!) It wasn't just the plate that that we got to keep that is so wonderful. It's the really unique experience of putting on historic style clothing and posing the way people had to pose for photos so many decades ago --with stands holding your head and body in place and having to hold a pose for over 20 seconds while the image is taken. Tish, one of the owners and photographers, was great about explaining everything that was going on step-by-step and shared a lot of the history behind old-time photos. I highly recommend taking the time and spending a little extra money for the wet plate. It's a very memorable, one-of-a-kind experience!!

Visited April 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Okay, but can't believe it is ranked #1”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was a must do on our visit to Gettysburg because it was rated the #1 thing to do by Trip Adviser. We had read how the proprietors would take their time and what a great experience it was. I had not read any negative feedback so we were really excited about this experience. I had my two girls (both shy and quiet) getting their pictures taken together. They are both age 11. I found the staff to be tolerate to impatient and although the result was neat, the process was certainly not a "must do" in Gettysburg. If I had it to do all over again I would have skipped this aspect. It was my girl's least favorite part mostly because of the curtness of the staff and how they treated the girls. The staff was not really rude--- but certainly not friendly. Maybe they were having a bad day. Who knows...but what I do know is that it wasn't fun for my kids. The picture we received from the studio was okay but the staff was not as great as the reviews I had read. I think the must do instead in Gettysburg is climbing Little Round Top and Devil's Den. In my opinion, if your time is short, spend it climbing and hiking these two areas! That's what my girls continue to talk about and share with their friends!

Visited May 2013