“Brought my romance with the Civil War to life”

Victorian Photography Studio
Ranked #1 of 8 Fun & Games in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Whether you want to capture your family's precious vacation or get striking Civil War images , Victorian Photography Studio can make it happen with our extensive Civil War Wardrobe . You can count on us to deliver what we promise. -We offer 19th century Wet-Plate photography with a short hisory lesson on how the process was done. -We also offer the less expensive modern Digital photography.and Now you can rent Civil War clothing for any occasion.Come on in and see some 19th century cameras and props.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Ever since my first brush with the Civil War in 8th grade American history, I have held an undying fascination with what it would be like to live as a woman during this era. Victorian Photo Studio helped to bring out my Civil War persona with a tin-type, completely true to how it would have been done 150 years ago.

The owners are a husband and wife team, and they are experts in their business. After telling the wife, (her name slipped my mind), my basic desire for the photo to look authentic to the period I let her do what she wanted with my costume. When I looked in the mirror before my photo was taken I was blown away by how quickly she was able to transform a 20th century gal into a 19th century belle.

When my photo was done, I saw looking back at me a woman struggling to prevail and survive in the face of a war that she could not even fully comprehend. It was truly unbelievable how the picture was able to take on a life of its own. My father nearly cried when he remarked how similar it made me look to his grandmother.

My advice is to either let the owners do what they feel would look best on you to achieve the most authentic experience. I would also recommend to make your appointment for the morning or late morning. When I came in at 10 am I was the only person there, I felt like I got the royal treatment since they were able to only focus on one client.

I will definitely come back here when I return to Gettysburg someday, and recommend it to anyone I know who will visit here.

All reviews
in 43 reviews
"portraits"
in 49 reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have had period photos taken at other places, but this one is the best! The owners/staff were wonderful. They took the time to explain all the various types of photos that they take and they listened to WHAT WE WANTED from our experience. The clothing was all in excellent condition and very accurate to the period. What really impressed me was their attention to detail, from the clothes, the footwear, the hair and the accessories! The headdress, the jewelry, the gloves and even the shawl really "completed" the outfit. Plus the costumer explained the purpose of each article of clothing etc. so we had a better understanding of the period.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Our whole family loved having our picture taken, even our 16 year old son who had been skeptical! We found the cost to be very resonable for the four of us. A must do in Gettysburg!

1  Thank janzyellie
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I had seen other reviews on Trip Advisor and thought that this is something I've always wanted to do! It was a Sunday and I emailed them to see when they opened on Monday and set up a time to come in. Be sure to book a time, they fill up quickly! Unfortunately our time was limited, as we were leaving that afternoon, so we couldn't do the tin plate photo, so we opted for the digital photo. It is spectacular! The photographer's wife got us dressed in no time, including putting up the long hair of my daughter and I. We felt so elegant in our attire! My husband was dressed as a Union General, my 16 year old son as a Confederate soldier. They helped us pose and the photo looks very authentic. They will even include pets, if you have them with you! This is something we will treasure forever!

1  Thank arienne410