“Outstanding venue and tour!”

Gettysburg Museum & Visitor Center
Gettysburg Heritage Center and Museum Admission
Ranked #5 of 82 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: "A New Birth of Freedom," narrated by Morgan Freeman, orients you to the battle; then see the sights and hear the sounds of the battle in the historic Cyclorama Painting Experience. Finally, tour the museum, packed with original artifacts and interactive exhibits. Tickets and shuttle bus to Eisenhower National Historic Site and seasonal programs at Spangler Farm Civil War Field Hospital from Visitor Center. Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, USA Today Top 10 Places to Visit, AAA Gem. Purchase tickets prior to your arrival online and reserve a Battlefield Guide (licensed through the National Park Service) through the Gettysburg Foundation, non-profit partner to the National Park Service at Gettysburg. Admission fee for Cyclorama, Film and Museum. Entry to Visitor Center, Museum Bookstore and Refreshment Saloon is free.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 8, 2017

The movie and the cyclorama were fantastic! We decided to do the auto self tour and bought the Gettysburg field guide audio tour in the visitor center store for $30. It follows all 16 stations and was a perfect guide!! We took our time and did the auto tour in about 4 hours! A fantastic way to tour the battlefield!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,134)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 311 reviews
"great place to start"
in 96 reviews
"narrated by morgan freeman"
in 90 reviews
in 54 reviews
"history buff"
in 85 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2017

History was not my thing while I was growing up but today I got view, hear and disgest all the lessons I didn't really listen to in school. We watch the film which was interesting and then went to see the painting. That was astonishing!
Lastly we went to the museum. You could spend eternity in there reading everything that is on display. It was such a worthwhile experience.

Reviewed July 7, 2017

Always wanted to visit Gettysburg! My son, mother, and I rented a car in Washington, DC, and drove here. It was a pleasant drive. We stopped at the Visitor Center to get his passport stamped and learned about a book/CD combo that you listen to while driving the battlefields and sites. Worth every penny!

1  Thank christineg314
Reviewed July 7, 2017

Our family enjoyed our visit here. The museum and painting were worth the extra expense. Very informative.

1  Thank 1Travelmum
See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2017

The first time we visited the mural and listened to the audio they play with it...I started sobbing...uncontrollably. I thought it was weird and maybe I was just having an emotional moment. The second visit...as soon as I heard the cannons being shot, I had the same response. I was so moved and so sad. This was powerful. This is history. The people that gave their lives for their belief and died for their cause leaves me speechless.

There is so much to see. Take the tours. We got there when there were hundreds of school kids and it wasn't enjoyable with all the commotion to peacefully take in the artifacts.

We would absolutely visit again.