“Beautiful View”

Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Sutton, Massachusetts
“Beautiful View”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just a short drive out of town, maybe five miles...the Lodges is in a beautiful spot. The concept is good but the advertising leads you to believe something other than what you get. We expected a lodge setting with a kitchenette, etc. What we got was not that at all. Maybe I read more than what we actually booked. We got the "Corporal's Quarters" in the lodge NJ. We truly felt that we were in someone's guest room. The other side of the adjoining door was another family. It was a nice room, but it was exactly that....a small room. One straight back chair and no table at all. I ended up opening up the ironing board to use as a table for my laptop and accessories and using the only chair to access the "table". Thankfully, the family on the other side of the door was not noisy, even though they had several young boys with them. I would hate to think what it would have been like had it been a "party crowd".
This is a great place for families and I would highly recommend it for just that so that at least you have a family member on the other side of the door to the corporal's quarters. Even if we had booked the other part of the lodge, I would have been uncomfortable with someone we didn't know just on the other side of the door. If we do return, which we would like to do, we will book the entire lodge and have more family with us.
The bed was not the most comfortable one we slept in. In fact, on our journey across country, it was probably the most uncomfortable. Management really should look into more comfortable bedding. The continental breakfast is ok. If you have the kitchenette, it would be better to make your own. All in all, it was a pleasant stay and we definitely would go back.

Room Tip: Definitely do not book just a standard room if you don't want to feel like a "guest" o...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lois M
Denise S, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
We’re glad to hear you found The Lodges at Gettysburg a great place to getaway and the perfect spot to unwind from the everyday hustle and bustle. We do appreciate your feedback about our lodges and are glad that you enjoyed the accommodations your choose. We hope you will be back to visit us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have been to Gettysburg several times and stayed in several different places, but we will never stay anywhere else again after staying at The Lodges at Gettysburg! I especially loved the fact that it was away from the "touristy" part of town but close enough for convenience. The property is beautiful, peaceful, and immaculate with all the amenities of a hotel/motel but none of the tackiness. The fully equipped kitchen was a pleasant alternative to a generic continental breakfast, and their eco-friendly policy reflects a welcome respect for the preservation of the battlefield. Special thanks to the staff who were very helpful when we asked but otherwise left us alone. Ours was a truly superior experience in every possible way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gail M
Denise S, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
"LOVED IT"…that is music to our ears! Thank you for choosing The Lodges at Gettysburg as your favorite vacation spot. Your kind words are very much appreciated! Can't wait to see you again soon.
Factoryville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here when the Lodges first opened a few years ago, and we've been anxiously awaiting our return. We were certainly not disappointed! The property is just as beautifully rustic as we remember it. Although a better description could be modern rustic. We stayed in a Captain's Lodge, which offered great views. Inside, we were greeted by a spacious living room/kitchenette. We had a sink, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker, along with silverware, glassware, etc. A few minor issues came up, such as some wayward stink bugs (which can't really be helped this time of year). The floors around the edges of the room were a bit dusty and in the bedroom there were broken crayons behind the night stand. I really only noticed this because I had to plug in the fireplace and the bedroom lamp and clock. It would have been nice if they were plugged in prior to our arrival, but perhaps that's a safety thing. The phone didn't work at all, but we didn't report it because it wasn't a big deal to us. Also, the couch in the living room was very uncomfortable because the cushions keep slipping into the area where the pull out bed is located. A few pillows from the bedroom helped. We loved the bathroom with the slate shower! And the makeup mirror under the sink was a great touch, especially since the only mirror in the lodge is in the bathroom. A full length mirror, maybe on the door in the closet, would be very helpful. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. I haven't had a goodnight's sleep in months, and I finally had two in a row! The mornings were so peaceful, and we were even greeted by a fawn walking across the field behind our cabin! The drive to town only takes a few minutes and isn't by any means an inconvenience. We like staying a bit out of the way. All in all, we loved our second stay at the Lodges at Gettysburg. When the kids are a bit older, we plan on returning with them. The Captain's Lodges can comfortably accommodate 6 people, making it the perfect choice for a family vacation. Until then, thank you Lodges for some peace and quiet before our newest addition arrives!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lena1428
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We are pleased to hear your "baby moon" weekend was peaceful and quiet! We do appreciate your feedback and and tips for future guests. We can't wait to see your new arrival and hope that you will visit us again very soon with the "whole" family!
Franklin, New Jersey
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here in January. The lodge we had was roomy and we loved the decor. It is a little outside the town but has a nice view. We had a deal that was supposed to include certain bonuses like some beer and wine tastings along with some money at certain restaurants. We got the tastings. However the restaurant credits turned out to be a coupon I think anyone could pick up and something that was closed all the days we were there. When we told them the restaurant was closed they had nothing to offer to replace it. There was breakfast included which was ok but nothing special. We also had to check out early due to a snow storm but no offer was made for any credit. Obviously they didn't owe us anything since we checked out late in the evening. It just would have been nice if they even offered a discount for a future stay, especially since we couldn't use one of the restaurant credits we were owed due to their misinformation about restaurant hours. I would, however, stay here again for the convenience of the facilities and location and because it was quite attractive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased you enjoyed your lodge and our location. We do appreciate your feedback and certainly hope you come back again soon. We are glad the weather held up and you were able to travel home safely!
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at the Lodges over the weekend with my sister, her fiancée and another friend of ours. We stayed in 2 of the Captain's Lodges. My sister had a King bed room and my friend and I stayed in a room with 2 beds. The "cabins" are fantastic. New. Clean, Modern. Comfortable. There is a small kitchen (microwave, fridge, Keurig coffee maker, coffees, hot chocolates, tea, plates, silverware, cork screw, etc), spacious bathroom with beautiful slate shower. The "cabins" have high ceiling with exposed wood beams. The main Lodge serves a continental breakfast in the morning with fresh fruits, yogurts, waffles, bagels, croissants etc along with coffee, tea, oatmeal packets. It is a nice touch. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the views from the top of the ridge are stunning! There is a lake on the property that is beautiful and a nice touch.

I have been coming to Gettysburg since childhood and I also graduated from Gettysburg College in the 1990's. I visit Gettysburg often for weddings, class reunions, get-togethers and just fun weekends with friends and family. I have stayed in a variety of locations and I now consider this location and resort to be one of the top choices! I recommend it to others and I will stay again. Even the towels in the bathrooms are plush, extra large and fluffy which is so much nicer than regular hotel bath towels. The beds are comfortable, clean, great pillows. This was far better than what I was expecting. The level of luxury was fantastic and a nice surprise. I also noticed that there was no dust on the floors, no dust on the window ledges, no dirt or dust bunnies lurking in the corners and no fingerprints on the mirrors or windows and yes, I notice those things. Great job Lodges!! Keep up the great work and high standards!

Some things that I would recommend to make it an even better stay and add that extra touch.

1. Please add mirrors to the living room/bed area. The mirrors/mirror in the bathroom is great but when you have a few girls/women getting ready at once, the mirror(s) in the bathroom only is not enough. We kept saying that having a mirror over the desk area would have been a big help in the morning especially for drying hair and putting on make-up.

2. Breakfast: It would be great to add a bowl of granola to add to the yogurt in the morning AND at least one warm chaffing dish of eggs. The breakfast spread was great but very carbohydrate rich (Bagels, muffins, croissants, waffles, oatmeal) and due to some dietary restrictions it can make that selection limited. I think that the addition of a warm dish of eggs would take the breakfast offering to the next level and be a nice touch.

3. Creamer in the rooms. Unless I missed it, there were K-cups for coffee, hot chocolate, tea but I did not see any powdered creamer for the coffee. I did not use the in-room coffee machine but I did notice that was missing. As well, if you added a "pay per use" snacks-in-room or water/soft drinks in the fridge as a pay-per-use mini bar/snack area, that would be excellent!

Do not hesitate to stay here. It was fantastic and I WILL go back!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank julesmd1974
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you very much for the detailed review on Trip Advisor. We value all feedback and suggestions from our guests, so this is great! We loved having you visit and look forward to your return!
Waretown, NJ
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

For the price, you can't beat the luxury, privacy or the views. This place is total perfection. Hubby and I stayed for two nights from fri, 3/21-sun, 3/23. The weekend was so perfect that we are already planning a fall weekend back here. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This is a few miles from town, but it is totally worth it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! We are so pleased to hear you will return in the fall, it's such a beautiful time of year here in Gettsyburg. Thanks for choosing our Lodges as you vacation spot!
Syracuse
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This trip was over a weekend in March as a "get-away" with friends. The individual cabin we had was excellent for our long talks into the night and a central location from which to tour the Gettysburg area whether the battlefields or local wineries. The "very good" rating reflects some attention to detail that we felt was lacking - for example, awkward direction the bedroom door swung and the hide-a-bed couches need new cushions so that sitting on the folded bed was comfortable. (We solved this by taking the decorator pillows from the beds to sit upon.) I also tried to schedule an on-site massage at the separate spa but despite multiple calls, never received a return phone call. Regardless, it is a spot I'd return! The two queen beds were very comfortable and the bathroom shower (no tub) was well-appointed with nice towels and toiletries provided. The kitchenette area has no stove but does provide a coffee maker, microwave, small refrigerator, and sink/counter area with two counter stools. Some dishes and flatware was also provided. Staff were very responsive to a heating issue we encountered.

Room Tip: Cabins on top of the hill have great views of the valley area! Depending on the orientation of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
We are so pleased to hear your "get-away" was a success! We do appreciate you feedback and have made some notes accordingly. We hope to have you back again soon!