“Lovely stay!”

The Lodges at Gettysburg
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My sister and I spent two nights over New Year's in a Lieutenant's and really enjoyed it. I guess it's about a 10 or 15 minute drive from downtown and worth the effort. We didn't have a problem in the day but the road was a bit tough for us at night. The place was so cozy! And by that I don't mean small, we were impressed with the size of it. Loved the gas fireplace and having the kitchenette was great. Beds were really comfy. Another reviewer noted the height of the beds (not a problem for us as we are tall) and the small televisions. The not so great for me were: The couch really needed to be replaced. We spent some time playing board games and it was really uncomfortable to sit on. The heat worked well but the vent was right by the sliding door and the curtains interfered with getting the heat into the room until we tied up the curtain. The first time I took a shower, I noted some dried soap bubbles on the walls of the shower...I don't know how to clean slate and maybe the housekeeping staff doesn't either. All said, we would definitely go back, in fact we cancelled our dinner reservation for the night of the 31st and just got food to make at the lodge. When we woke up on the 1st, there were a LOT more cars around but we hadn't heard anyone coming or going or celebrating or anything. We did not do the breakfast so can't review that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

We are thrilled that you found The Lodges at Gettysburg a great place to relax. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your suggestions for improvement. We hope to welcome you back to the area again soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Lodges were a short drive from the battlefield. We paid only slightly more than similar rated hotels and had an entire cabin to ourselves. Very pretty and nicely decorated and well worth the price. Nice porches to sit on. Quiet area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for your review and we are pleased to hear your stay was as you had hoped! We agree….we are a super alternative to a regular hotel and hope that you will come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We did a winter getaway to The Lodges recently, and stayed in the Alabama cabin. We could not have had a better time in such a beautiful place! The view from our back porch was spectacular, with a very panoramic scene of the battlefields. We got snowed in (which we hoped would happen..:), but the staff made very sure the roads on the property were well-salted and plowed. Everyone at The Lodges was kind and attentive, but not to the point that the attention was intrusive. My husband and I are going to shoot to return in the fall sometime, as we are sure the view would be quite beautiful with the trees full of autumn foliage! Gettysburg is an amazing place to begin with, and our trip there was made that much better by our stay at The Lodges...we'll be back!

Room Tip: The Alabama cabin is on the end of the top row of cabins, and is very private!!! PERFECT for a roma...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim A

It is truly pleasing to read that you enjoyed a beautiful winter getaway at The Lodges at Gettysburg. We are so glad our staff was attentive and kind and will be sure to pass along the kind words. We appreciate your kind review and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here in August in "Lieutenant's Lodge", very nice, would stay here again. But i must say that walls are very THIN!!! Could hear EVERYTHING that happened in adjoining room!!! Not sure what was going on, but on the eve of a 10 hour trip home with 2 children (8 & 5) we wanted sleep! Advice is make sure your cottage is not connected to another.......but yes we would stay here again, easy travel to all sites in the town of Gettysberg

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and feedback about our lodges. We do apologize that noise next door was bothersome. Next time, we will be sure to place you and your family in another area to your liking. I hope that you come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had received a gift card towards a one night stay here at the Lodges at Gettysburg and my husband and I decided to stay here in the fall. We picked a mid-week day so the Lodges were not crowded at all. We had a Lieutenants Lodge, which was very nice. The Lts Lodge we were in had two rooms, a living room with small kitchenette and a separate bedroom with ensuite bathroom. The living room/kitchenette area was of a good size, plenty of room to spread out. There is a flatscreen tv and a little electric "fireplace" that is moveable. The bedroom has another flat screen tv, two queen sized beds, and an ensuite bathroom (shower only). The beds were super comfy, the linens were top notch. Both rooms had soaring cathedral ceilings, which was very nice. We enjoyed a glass of wine on the front porch, while looking out on the gorgeous fall PA view. Overall it was a very nice stay and I would recommend it to any of my friends and family who are looking to stay for a couple of days or more in Gettysburg. Its nice because you can spread out a bit, and relax after a long day of seeing the sights and battlefields of Gettysburg (ie: lots of walking)

The Lodges are not located IN Gettysburg, but outside of the town proper, in the middle of the beautiful countryside. They really provide a perfect "home base" away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Gettysburg.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiki_19

We are touched by your glowing review and high recommendation of The Lodges at Gettysburg. It is truly pleasing to learn how much you enjoyed your stay at your new "home base".

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Well let me start out by saying that the property is beautiful and I think it's a wonderful place to have a wedding or party. We checked in and the man was pleasant enough, although I felt like we were interrupting him from web surfing or something on the computer. We were told where our room was and nothing about where or when breakfast was, (we pre-paid for, but would not recommend)
Our room was beautiful, a couple of things were off, like the bed kind moved and made weird sounds, the shower was pretty to look at but the water took sooo long to drain so you were standing in water for quite a while before it actually drained. The only other issue in the room was that there was not enough sugar, so when we went to breakfast, we took a few extra back to our room and the maids removed all the sugar we took and left us with bare minimum, thought that was not cool.
As to breakfast, wow I actually think that this place has such potential for greatness, but have severely dropped the ball when it comes to this. We went the first morning and the woman behind the desk told us that it would $5.95 per person, and I said that we had pre-paid, again I felt like we were inconveniencing the staff. We were shocked when we went into the room, very little fruit, some cereal, waffles to make yourself,stale plastic wrapped muffins, just so sad. This is not a inexpensive place to stay and I personally think breakfast should be complimentary, but to have to pay for what was offered was really pathetic. Needless to say, we only went that morning and drove into Gettysburg to eat breakfast the following two mornings, never to receive credit from them for breakfasts uneaten.

I sure do hope that they read these reviews and someone stands up and does something about the breakfast fiasco at this place. Otherwise it is a pretty place, and has so much potential.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steelie42
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

All guest feedback is important to us, so we greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your breakfast did not exceed your expectations. Hearing candid feedback from our valued guests is an opportunity for our entire team to investigate ways to improve upon the experience we offer. Thank you and we hope you will consider a future stay at our property.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have had a very positive experience with The Lodges with each of my 3 stays. This last visit was especially wonderful. When I checked in this last time I learned that Hotels.com/Experian did not provide us with a King bed, as I had requested. In response, Harrison at the front desk was kind enough to upgrade our room at no extra charge, and he put us in the VA Lodge which couldn't have been nicer. When I called to say that someone had neglected to put an ice tray in the freezer, he immediately jumped into his golf cart and brought us up a bucket of ice. The following morning, when we overslept and missed breakfast (I guess the beds were TOO comfortable!), the Lodges allowed us to take whatever breakfast items they could still find for us, again at no charge! My daughter is a Freshman at Gettysburg College and the Lodges at Gettysburg will definitely be our hotel of choice for the next 4 years!

Room Tip: Be aware that The Lodges immediately charges your credit card upon booking, the only drawback to thi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn J

It is wonderful to read your kind review on Trip Advisor! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall experience and appreciate that you took the time to mention the responsiveness of our staff. Thank you for providing your valued feedback.