“Wish we could have stayed much, much longer...”

The Lodges at Gettysburg
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a Lieutenant’s Lodge, named Indiana, for one night in Gettysburg for my family of 4. We booked the larger side of the lodge, the bedroom, kitchenette and living room were all one unit with the Corporal's Quarters Room on the other side of the double doors.

The beds were quite high off the ground, but it wasn't a hassle. They were soft and incredibly comfortable. I booked 2 queen beds for my eldest to sleep with me in one bed, my husband in the other and my youngest in his pack-n-play, I didn't know that the sofa turned into a sleeper. Once we arrived I found out the sofa converted, so my husband and I were each treated to our own luxurious bed.

The bathroom was incredibly large and very clean. There were loads of extra 'bath sheet' sized towels in the linen closet. The bathroom amenities were really lavish, I had to take them all with me. The water temperature and pressure was wonderful, the water got almost too hot. Having a window in the bathroom was nice too, for natural light. For those who complained about the maids not changing the sheets and towels everyday, The Lodges are trying to be green and save on water by only changing bed linens and towels when requested by putting the "change the linen markers" on the towels and bed.

The dishes and flatware were really nice, they didn't appear to be heavy duty restaurant quality dinnerware, which gave the room more of a country feel. Having two cold bottles of water in the fridge were nice as well.

We didn't get to enjoy much of the cabin because we arrived late and left by 11:00 the next morning. I would have loved to curl up on the sofa in front of the fireplace and enjoy a movie or a cup of tea, we just didn't have enough time. The furniture all looks original though, not like normal hotel furniture. The art was a really meaningful and thoughtful touch, they were all Civil War paintings.

The continental breakfast was nothing special. It's a continental breakfast, so if you're expecting eggs, sausages and lattes, you're expecting too much. There's a nice selection of pastries, cereals, fruit, yoghurts and drinks. The 4 of us definitely had our fill. My only complaint, like many others, is the seating at for breakfast--bar height tables and unstable stools.

I really liked the location. I loved being so far from the hustle of the town. It was nice to sleep in a back country location, my mind truly relaxed. Driving through the countryside only added to our excitement as we got closer and closer to the downtown.

All in all, I loved it at The Lodges at Gettysburg. I will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Booking a Lieutenant's Lodge room is a suite, with a kitchen, living room and separate bedroom...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Cynthia K
Management response:Responded October 22, 2012

Thank you for the valuable comments and nice review! We are pleased you enjoyed our location and accommodations! Please come back and see us again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Lodges at Gettysburg

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This wonderful Lodge is booked well in advance for good reason. It's just a few miles outside Gettysburg, PA. in the Country but, not so far from the action as to be a deterrent. The road there offers sweeping views of the Battlegrounds and you can almost picture them covered with grey and blue uniforms, thunderous cannons smoking, & flags flying. My wife and I are enamored with the whole Civil War Era and this area is blanketed with history. I booked the 'Lieutenants Lodge' (Cabin) about 8 days in advance and felt lucky to get a reservation as most rooms were earmarked 'booked'. On arrival the registration clerk was not user-friendly but, he could have just been having a bad hair day. The website leads you to believe each room is named yet, it turns out on query, according to His Snippiness... "ALL the Lodges are called the Lieutenants Lodges" (assuming as a first-time guest I would know that). He drew a map for the drive up the hill and I re-mounted my trusty steed (company truck) to make the short journey. You find out on arrival each cabin is named after different States in the Union. We were lucky enough to get "Louisiana". A sweeping walkway greets you as it winds its way to the front door. A smaller walkway runs off to the side of the unit (more on that later). The cabin held a spacious living room, kitchenette, monster Bedroom (by B&B standards) with two Queen beds and a large shower big enough for 3. There were two flat screen Tv's, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and an old fashioned-style fireplace heater. Somebody on one of the reviews 'complained' about the pillow top beds! My wife and I slept like logs and only left these wonderful accommodations because of our schedule to make the Fall Car Meet at Hershey. I tried to get the mattress in the back of the truck but, my wife reminded me it was not prudent, nor honest. Turns out, I saved myself a trip to Hell, this facility was a former Church Camp that was remodeled beautifully into a unique B&B. It is nestled in 63 acres and the first question I had to ask myself was ...why? Why, with 63 acres to utilize, would they build the cabins so close together? Didn't matter anyhow, we never heard a peep from any of the other guests- with one exception: Since this was a First Time... staying in a solo cabin, we were surprised on arrival to find out a door separating yet another bedroom, containing a King Size Bed. We never gave a second thought to the extra room thinking it was a larger suite they just 'gave us' because they were indeed booked solid and the separate double doors were wide-open 'unlocked'. In reality the 'Cabin' was a Duplex unit meant to share with another couple. Turns out later, that room WAS rented out to another couple who 'popped in' during the middle of the night. Problem is the Registration Clerk, Never Told Us. So, up barging-in this foreign couple who were as 'surprised' to see us as we them! Especially since my beautiful wife was all but dressed for the occassion. Despite a near heart attack for all concerned, It made for a a memorable trip and laughable memory.
In any event, this B&B despite convention rule, actually charges extra for breakfast but, it was only 5.95 and the array of food was bountiful. You have to walk or drive down the hill to the former 'Gym' (Clubhouse) where you search for a sign, that doesn't exist, stating 'Dining room' and then find a large room filled with high-top tables w/ bar stools. The lady running the kitchen was very nice and replenished the empty coffee machine while she told us about the area. The views from this room are breathtaking if you've never experienced Pennsylvania in the Fall. Hailing from the ugly scrub brush of FL. we were duly impressed. We have stayed in a lot of different places but, I would give this facility high marks and definitely re-book in the future. Enjoy.

4  Thank BentleyBoy
Denise S, General Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at The Lodges. Our peaceful environment, unique and upscale accommodations, along with breathtaking views make for a truly relaxing retreat away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Our journey has been a very long one, (approximately 15 years) with zoning, permits, etc. and we had many challenges facing us including the location of the private lodges. We fought through many of those and feel we have created the perfect atmosphere for people traveling to our historic town. Each of individually appointed lodges were named after the states that were home to the troops fighting in the Battle of Gettysburg. For booking purposes, we named our lodge types by rank to help separate the differences between them. It is very humbling to stand on the front porch (where you had breakfast) looking at Big Round Top through our American flag and remember those that fought and died in the Civil War. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to your next trip to Gettysburg!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked the Gallop into History Tour with the Lodges at Gettysburg over the internet. Within minutes, someone called me to confirm my reservation and ask what day and what time we'd like to do our horse tour of the battlefield. The Lodges set up everything. It was perfect. When we stopped to get the vouchers for our horse tour, the lady at the front desk gave us a great recommendation for lunch at Luke's in downtown Gettysburg and marked directions on a map. The horse tour was also awesome.

We checked into our room after the horse tour. Check in was easy and fast. We chose to stay in the Lieutenant's quarters, which is their hotel-like lock out room off the larger lodge. For two adults and just one night it was perfect. The room was beautiful, with hard wood floors and exposed beams in the ceiling. The stone, walk in shower was gorgeous, though I found the shower head just a tad too close to the shower curtain for my liking. We had a Queen sized bed, which as others have reviewed, was very high off the ground, but that didn't bother us. It was very soft and comfy, and I especially loved the soft pillows.

I agree with others who have said the walls are too thin. We could hear the people in the attached lodge getting ready early the next morning. This included voices, feet on the floor, and water running. They weren't yelling or running, but we could still hear it. However, I wouldn't say the walls are any thinner than any other hotel I've stayed in. It's just something I kind of expect when I stay at hotels anymore.

Our room had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot. There was only one bedside table, which was inconvenient. They did have a chair for putting on your socks and shoes, because the bed really was too high to do that. We also noticed that our bed frame banged lightly against the wall anytime we got in, out or rolled over. Didn't bother us, but might have annoyed the heck out of our neighbors. Parking was also an issue. There are no marked spaces, just a grassy central area for people to park, which means the other guests left huge gaps between their car and the next one, leaving no room for us when we got back late at night. This could easily be remedied with some white spray paint.

My husband and I were impressed by the variety available at their continental breakfast compared to other hotels we've stayed at. There was the usual cereal, but they also had fresh bagels and croissants, which you could toast, as well as a large selection of sticky buns and pastries. There was plenty of fresh fruit and yogurt. Coffee, milk, orange juice and apple juice were available. It was served in their main lodge, with beautiful views overlooking their lake and fields.

The Lodges are a bit off the beaten path. You'll need to drive to get to any attractions, but the beautiful views and lovely room made it worthwhile for us. Our Gallop into History package also came with a 50 dollar voucher for dinner at the Carriage House Inn, fifteen minutes away in Maryland. Their food and service was fantastic and with the voucher we only spent thirty dollars for dinner, including tax and tip. We'd stay here again, but we'd probably upgrade to the larger lodge rooms if we were going to stay for more than one night.

6  Thank Celeste S
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased that you found your accommodations and location beautiful. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We loved the cabin, we felt like we were off by ourselves. It was a very romantic spot, scenic and the cabin was beautiful. We didn't think that the distance to town was a problem at all, as a matter of fact, we liked that we had distance from the very busy town of Gettysburg. We had an incredible stay. It is definitely a place to recommend to others.

Room Tip: I think if our cabin was any indication of others, they will all be great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cathy14326
Management response:Responded October 22, 2012

Thank you for the nice feedback. It is a great location for a couples getaway or a family vacation, which make us the perfect spot to visit! Glad you enjoyed your weekend alone! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

These cabins are beautiful! We got a good deal on a presidential cabin in October. Our family of 5 was very comfortable. We really didn't want to leave it. The property is beautiful and the location is near the battlegrounds. My only complaint is the continental breakfast wasn't the best.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank frankho
Management response:Responded October 22, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor! The 'Presidential Cabin' is a great one and we are please that your family of 5 was very comfortable and enjoyed their time spent at the Lodges. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were traveling with friends and needed to find a place for us to share and didn't want to stay in just another average hotel. I booked this Lodge based on Tripadvisor reviews...and was so glad I did. The accommodations were amazing and the location was just perfect. To watch the sunrise from our back porch every morning was picture perfect. This was our first visit to PA and we absolutely loved it. Spending 4 nights here was not enough time and we hope to come back again in the future for a longer stay at The Lodges at Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Virginia Lodge and it was a great location.
4  Thank Stacey M
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor! We are glad you found the accommodations "amazing"...we pride ourself on excellent customer service and we appreciate when our guests notice! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was just the most perfect place for us to stay.My wife must use a Hoyer Lift and power chair to get around. The cabin had plenty of room with easy access to everything. Parking and loading was just the best. The staff was first rate. We appreciated the peace and quiet of being out in the country. The drive to the battlefield and other sites was not an inconvience. I would especially recommend The Lodges to handicapped travelers.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie R
Denise S, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

What a great review for handicapped travelers, thanks for mentioning that! We are glad you had a great stay with us and are please you found everything "first rate"! Come back and see us again soon!