“Most Unique Museum in Gettysburg”

Gettysburg Museum of History
Ranked #5 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum that was featured on History's "American Picker's" The Gettysburg Museum Of History has over 4,000 artifacts on display. The Museum is FREE TO THE PUBLIC! The Museum covers all areas of American History. Military and Political History are the focus with some pop culture covered. Some highlights include: A lock of George and Martha Washington's hair, Abraham Lincoln's wallet and opera glasses,John Wilkes Booth's splint relic, the largest collection of Gettysburg battlefield relics on display in Gettysburg, an autograph or manuscript from each president, Harry Truman's hat, Dwight D. Eisenhower's golf clubs, JFK's rocking chair, suit, and bloodstained limousine upholstery from the assassination, the flag that flew during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Shell casing from Ruby's gun that Killed Oswald, Hitler's silver that was captured by U.S. forces at his home. The Fredrick G. Pfeffer collection of relics from Pickett's Charge. The Robert L. White collection of JFK, The Captain Good collection (wounded in action at Gettysburg) includes the items he used during the battle and the bullet that wounded him! Uniforms,flags, accoutrements, weapons, documents, photos, much much more!The Gettysburg Museum Of History also buys artifacts as well as sells them. Please stop by and see the most amazing collection in Gettysburg at no charge!
Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Most Unique Museum in Gettysburg”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Gettysburg has a lot of good museums, but this one is now my favorite. The collection has a very large number of unique pieces and you will definitely see things here you won't see anywhere else. There is a large section of Civil War artifacts, but also a lot of artifacts from other wars, presidents, and more. I was especially impressed by the artifacts from the earliest years of the American armored corps, something I don't think I've ever come across before. The museum is small in floor space compared to some, but it is absolutely packed with things to see and is bigger inside than it looks from the street. The owner is friendly and very knowledgeable about his collection. All of this with no admission fee. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Gettysburg. Can't recommend highly enough.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank 485JasonR485

Elkton, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One of best in Gettysburg”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a great Museum !!! It looks small from the outside but that is SO very deceiving. Not only dose it have a great ciivil war relics it has many other outstanding exhibits. Just read what everyone has written about it they are telling the truth "there's no sence me rewritting it". The things in this museum compairs with whats in much bigger museums and in some cases its better. I will say that it is my favorite museum and have been to it many times. I make it a point to stop everytime I'm in Gettysburg and Erik always has something new to show. The Gettysburg Museum of History is defiantly worth a look you will not be disappointed I promise you !!!!

Visited July 2012
4 Thank dennis w
Reedville, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Somber, yet beautiful. The guided tour was perfect.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was impressed with it all. I have strong family ties with the Civil War, which made this trip even more important. I would like for my entire family to come see this.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Holly R
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tripadvisor.com”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We thought it was a awesome place to see and learn about history. We can now know what these men had to go through and what they had to experience for the cause. W e love history and like to learn all the time thats why we watch the history channel and love the pickers and to go somewhere they have been its was privledge thank you for talkin with us and sharing info. We had a wonderful experience in Gettysburg
Jim & Patty Eutzy

Columbia, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Impressive collection”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was impressed with the variety of the collection, Gettysburg artifacts, presidential collection, WWII, JFK, and more. We spent about an hour but could have stayed longer. The owner is great, lets you explore on your own as you like, but when you have a question has a wealth of information. Be sure to chat with him while you are there.

Visited February 2013