“Well worth it”

Gettysburg Museum of History
Ranked #11 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum that was featured on History's "American Picker's" The Gettysburg Museum Of History has over 4,000 artifacts on display. The Museum is FREE TO THE PUBLIC! The Museum covers all areas of American History. Military and Political History are the focus with some pop culture covered. Some highlights include: A lock of George and Martha Washington's hair, Abraham Lincoln's wallet and opera glasses,John Wilkes Booth's splint relic, the largest collection of Gettysburg battlefield relics on display in Gettysburg, an autograph or manuscript from each president, Harry Truman's hat, Dwight D. Eisenhower's golf clubs, JFK's rocking chair, suit, and bloodstained limousine upholstery from the assassination, the flag that flew during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Shell casing from Ruby's gun that Killed Oswald, Hitler's silver that was captured by U.S. forces at his home. The Fredrick G. Pfeffer collection of relics from Pickett's Charge. The Robert L. White collection of JFK, The Captain Good collection (wounded in action at Gettysburg) includes the items he used during the battle and the bullet that wounded him! Uniforms,flags, accoutrements, weapons, documents, photos, much much more!The Gettysburg Museum Of History also buys artifacts as well as sells them. Please stop by and see the most amazing collection in Gettysburg at no charge!
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very nice to literally walk into a building so full of history,very nice and refreshing to see amongst some of the more commercialized buildings in town,and free to boot, my hat is off to the owner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I visited this museum in October 2012, what a gem!!!. The museum is free although we did give a donation that was well worth it(the donations are how he keeps the place going so don't forget to give something) So much stuffed into this place. It was truly and amazing place to visit. I can't believe some of the pieces the this gentleman has acquired, from Elvis to Kennedy to Hitler and not to forget to mention the truly unbelivable pieces of the Gettysburg Battle. This is a place that you really do not want to miss. We enjoyed Gttysburg so much that we are going back next week. Taking my parents and yes, we will be going back to this amazing musem.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband found this museum online while we were planning our weekend trip to Gettysburg. I usually have a fairly short attention span for museums, but this place was great. It's not a typical carefully curated museum. Instead, the owner has stuffed as many display cases as he can get into the first floor of his home, and each case is packed full of some of the neatest artifacts I've ever seen. I could walk by the same case three times and each time see something I hadn't noticed before. There are little, hand written card explaining the artifacts. It's an OCD person's nightmare, but my husband and I loved it.

Since it is the Gettysburg AMERICAN History Museum, it covers more than just the Civil War. The front is dedicated to the battle of Gettysburg, and I thought the artifacts here did a better job connecting me with the lives of the men who fought and died than the museum at the actual battlefield. Seeing pieces of bullets that had literally melted together because the firing was so intense. Letters on the actual paper, not reprinted on a pretty plaque. My husband is a gun aficionado, and really liked the weapons displayed.

The back of the museum is dedicated to modern history. There was an amazing collection of items taken from Hitler's Eagle's Nest by American forces. The owner got many of the artifacts from WWII vets who brought the items back with them, so there is a personal story behind everything. The museum also has an impressive collection of JFK items. My husband has been to the JFK museum, and said he thought this collection was better and more informative. There is also a room dedicated to Elvis and a display case with an item belonging to every U.S. president. Basically, if you love all history, not just Gettysburg history, this place is for you.

Perhaps best of all, this museum is free. The owner runs it with his own funds, not government money, etc. He relies on donations from people who visit and the sale of the items in his shop. Many of the things in the museum are for sale, and he has some really nice collections of mini balls and Gettysburg artifacts, like buttons and belt buckles, at reasonable prices. Just talking with the owner is a great part of visiting. The man is obviously passionate about history, and had some great stories to tell that I never learned from my history teachers.

Parking can be a problem because most of Gettysburg is metered parking. We went on a Sunday morning, when you don't have to feed the meters and there were still lots of open spots. Tip: If you park farther from down town, there are cheaper meter fees. Baltimore street charges 25 cents for 15 minutes. Ouch!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This museum, by far, had the most authentic aritfacts of any of the other places that we visited in Gettysburg. They were displayed in a manner that you were able to see everything and know what they were by the descriptive cards in the cases. Something for everyone here..... lots and lots of Civil War, but also other items of historical interest from other wars and a great collection of items from the Kennedy era. It was FREE........donations are accepted......but there was no other museum that was free. Would strongly suggest that if you are in Gettysburg make a stop here.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We discovered this museum for the first time last April and it will be one that we'll be returning to in the future. All the items in this museum give a snapshot of who we are as a country - from the Civil War to current events, it's all part of the United States. I learned some new things, got the creeps from others (a few of the WWII items were horrific to me) and smiled at some of them (I admit, I got a chuckle from Marilyn's bra!). This is a far reaching collection that is certainly worth a visit to anyone visiting Gettysburg.