“The ABSOLUTE Best Museum in Gettsyburg”

Gettysburg Museum of History
Ranked #5 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum that was featured on History's "American Picker's" The Gettysburg Museum Of History has over 4,000 artifacts on display. The Museum is FREE TO THE PUBLIC! The Museum covers all areas of American History. Military and Political History are the focus with some pop culture covered. Some highlights include: A lock of George and Martha Washington's hair, Abraham Lincoln's wallet and opera glasses,John Wilkes Booth's splint relic, the largest collection of Gettysburg battlefield relics on display in Gettysburg, an autograph or manuscript from each president, Harry Truman's hat, Dwight D. Eisenhower's golf clubs, JFK's rocking chair, suit, and bloodstained limousine upholstery from the assassination, the flag that flew during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Shell casing from Ruby's gun that Killed Oswald, Hitler's silver that was captured by U.S. forces at his home. The Fredrick G. Pfeffer collection of relics from Pickett's Charge. The Robert L. White collection of JFK, The Captain Good collection (wounded in action at Gettysburg) includes the items he used during the battle and the bullet that wounded him! Uniforms,flags, accoutrements, weapons, documents, photos, much much more!The Gettysburg Museum Of History also buys artifacts as well as sells them. Please stop by and see the most amazing collection in Gettysburg at no charge!
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The ABSOLUTE Best Museum in Gettsyburg”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

My husband and children visited Gettysburg, PA for 3 days... We went to all the local museums and saw tons of exhibits and artifacts. The Gettysburg Museum of History was definately the best by far and it was FREE...We happened to drive by and see the sign so we stopped..It was literally captivating... that museum kept the attention of all three of my kids ages 5 to 12 not to mention my husband and I. It had everything from the Civil War to JFK's suit to a lock of George and Martha Washington's hair!! The owner was extremely nice and my husband talked with him for quite a while... If you go to any museum in Gettysburg, you HAVE to go here...My husband and I plan to go back with no children and that is the first stop on my list...Can't wait to go back:) Thanks Erik for opening up such an amazing place...Another thing, this museum is run completely off of donations, so if you like it as much as we did, please please help keep it open!!!

The Gettysburg Museum of History
Closed Mondays

3 Thank kmonte3

Hanover, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great hidden gem in Gettysburg”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I have been to the Gettysburg Museum of History a few times now, since I live in a nearby town, but every time I go there are more intriguing artifacts of many periods of history. I am not a big Civil War buff, but the items from that period are interesting, with backgrounds and context of why they are important. My favorite exhibits are the WWI and WWII ones, with the uniforms and weaponry, plus the Kennedy and presidential items are priceless. The owner and curator is friendly and knowledgeable. The museum is free, supported by donations only and it's a real treasure to have so close by. I would definitely travel to see it.

1 Thank hanoverpa_11
Hanover, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A Comprehensive Look at History Through the Ages”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Gettysburg Museum of History is one of the few free attractions in the Gettysburg area. They accept donations and we happily deposited one in the no-pressure donation box as we were leaving. I would happily pay to visit it again and expressed this to the gentleman at the counter, here he was the Curator Erik Dorr, and he explained he doesn't want to do that simply because it makes history less accessible. You've got to admire an attitude like that in this economy. It's a wonderful and friendly learning museum. The museum covers everything from the Civil War to present day. It's easy to find and certainly a gem in the rough. You would be doing yourself and your family a great disservice if you did not visit it on your next trip to Gettysburg. We visited it two times on our recent trip to Gettysburg because there was so much to see and we saw things we initially missed. Bottom Line: Visit The Gettysburg Museum of History.

2 Thank katwoman_glg
Toronto, Canada
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“So much to see”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Based on other reviews, we visited this museum on our recent trip to Gettysburg. It was unbelievable just how much was contained within this relatively small building. The museum is free however donations are greatly accepted. We were very impressed and gladly put some money in the jar.

I would have to agree, well worth the visit !

1 Thank Dutchie33
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great Museum to visit and it's free !!”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

When visiting Gettysburg PA make sure you visit The Gettysburg Museum of History on Baltimore Street. It is a free attraction and owner Erik Dorr does a fantastic job with all
his artifacts and has a wealth of knowledge in describing each and every piece. The museum which has an extensive collection on the Battle of Gettysburg as well as other wars
and JFK. This museum is a must see.

1 Thank Daytonad13