“Great Food, Great Service Tons of Ambiance Best Scotch Eggs Ever”

Garryowen Irish Pub
Ranked #4 of 129 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gettysburg's only Irish-owned and operated pub offers a genuine taste of Ireland through "Ceol, cainte agus craic" Music, talk & fun. Open 7 days for lunch & dinner, The Garryowen, or "The GO" as it's know to our regulars, is as inviting as any pub found back in the old country with friendly service, a large selection of Irish whiskies, the best of Ireland's draft beers, and the perfect pour of Guinness which is complimented with a carefully picked selection of international and domestic premium beers, wines and spirits. Our kitchen prepares the most authentic Irish fare in the area from the owners' family recipes, with many ingredients imported directly from Ireland. Paired with traditional pub fare, made in house daily from scratch with local ingredients where possible. Our menu is sure to satisfy the most discerning of tastes. Enjoy your meal in our cozy dining room, by the fireplace or at the bar.The first and third Sundays of each month are a special treat for lovers of Irish music, with a traditional 'Seisun' from 2 til 5pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
“Great Food, Great Service Tons of Ambiance Best Scotch Eggs Ever”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

A local told us about this place a bit off the beaten path. The building is super old with tin ceilings, wood floors and an old bar. Service is wonderful. They have a very nice menu which even includes traditional Irish fare. They always have dinner specials, burgers are delicious and the scotch eggs are the best I ever had.Desserts are in house.There is also live music weekly call ahead to find out. Not sure if they take reservations it's always packed go early to be sure to get a seat or call ahead for large parties. This place is owned by an Irish couple. While in town I opted to go twice. Felt like I was in Ireland!

• Visited May 2014

Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
“Good food but some issues”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Nice location, the dining room is small and noisy, but full of "character". We waited about an hour to be seated. We didn't think we'd need to make reservations on a Sunday evening, but we were wrong! The place was very busy.

Most of the food was tasty. I enjoyed my Ulster fry, having visited Ireland it was true to what I ate there. Other diners enjoyed their fish and chips and the salmon roulade salad. But several at my table had complaints about their meals. Some wanted bangers and mash but they were out of bangers (this was a Sunday at 5 p.m.) The shepard's pie seemed to have a very thick layer of potatoes and only a little meat. And there was only one serving of peach cobbler left, no other desserts available.

Our group of eight had another problem - the server would not split the checks between our three parties. If we all had cash that would have worked out, but we were all planning to use credit cards! Made for some very complicated accounting at our table - sort of spoiled our relaxing evening! So be warned!

Finally, the servers were not friendly at all - definitely not what I expect from an Irish pub!

• Visited August 2014
“Decent but not great”
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Biers are good, out of bangers so they substitute a non descript sausage while not bad, not the thing. Therefore they should not serve it at all.
Shepard's pie a little shy on meat but ok.

“Fun place to go”
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Food and atmosphere exceeded our expectations. Food was home-cooked, and venue was quaint/warm. Place seems to be frequented by locals as much as tourists.

Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,681 helpful votes
“Best place we ate in town!”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We went to Garryowen on a Friday night based on the high reviews in TripAdvisor and endorsement by the hotel. We anticipated a 30 minute wait upon arrival, which gave us plenty of time to wander the streets of downtown Gettysburg.

Garryowen is in a nice location, and it’s a cross between a pub and full-fledged restaurant. The environment is intimate but bustling, lively like a tavern, but not deafening like certain bars or Irish pubs we've frequented in the past. Lighting was mixed; we lucked out with a table where we could see the menu, but others weren't so lucky. Many people don’t mind, but I always like to make sure of what I’m eating.

The meal was better than average, kicked off by the obligatory Guinness stout on draft. Since the price of a 10 oz. was barely more than half of the 20 oz., I opted for two strategically placed 10 oz beers with all the yummy foam that accompanies them. For food, we had a crock of crab bisque (excellent) as well as a couple of shepherd pies. Frankly, they were good and filling but not nearly the best I've eaten. Some of the better ones have mixed ground beef with flank steak, but this one was pretty traditional all across the board – including the peas, corn, and mash potato enclosure. My big mistake was bowing to temptation and ordering the Onion Soup for “desert”; the waitress warned me that it was a little sweeter than the French variety and boy was she right! It looked much better than it tasted. I had serious regrets about ordering it and recommend you not follow in my footsteps.

Speaking of the waitress, she was alright but seemed disinterested in us. The dishes weren't picked up promptly, the beer didn't arrive until I had eaten half my main course, and the final bill was slow to arrive. Considering the meal we had the following evening at the Appalachian Beer restaurant up the road, Garryowen was a much better choice, but in comparison to other Irish pubs, it was middle of the road.

• Visited August 2014
6 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog

Been to Garryowen Irish Pub? Share your experiences!