“A wee bit of Ireland in the heart of Gettysburg, and that's no "blarney"”

Garryowen Irish Pub
Ranked #4 of 131 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gettysburg's only Irish-owned and operated pub offers a genuine taste of Ireland through "Ceol, cainte agus craic" Music, talk & fun. Open 7 days for lunch & dinner, The Garryowen, or "The GO" as it's know to our regulars, is as inviting as any pub found back in the old country with friendly service, a large selection of Irish whiskies, the best of Ireland's draft beers, and the perfect pour of Guinness which is complimented with a carefully picked selection of international and domestic premium beers, wines and spirits. Our kitchen prepares the most authentic Irish fare in the area from the owners' family recipes, with many ingredients imported directly from Ireland. Paired with traditional pub fare, made in house daily from scratch with local ingredients where possible. Our menu is sure to satisfy the most discerning of tastes. Enjoy your meal in our cozy dining room, by the fireplace or at the bar.The first and third Sundays of each month are a special treat for lovers of Irish music, with a traditional 'Seisun' from 2 til 5pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We had heard about the Garryowen Pub in, of all places, Niagara Falls when staying at a B & B with a family that performed Civil War reenactments. They absolutely raved about it, so our recent trip to Gettysburg we had to pay it a visit.

The restaurant has a quaint and unassuming front on Chambersburg Street, but it's well worth the effort finding it. We visited for lunch, and the first thing that gathered my attention was a favorite Irish beer, Kilkenny, that they had on tap!! For those of you that enjoy a pleasant pint of ale, definitely give it a try.

After sipping my draft I couldn't help but wander around a bit, just to check out the Irish décor throughout the restaurant. The place is separated into a couple of rooms ... the main bar (with tables) was what you were presented with when you initially walked in, all adjacent to the main dining area to the left and down a stair or two (all separated by the bar wall).

The menu offered a diverse selection, with a section dedicated to the more traditional Irish fare. I ended up with the Shepherd's Pie, and our travel partners the Dublin Fish and Chips. OMG, what an EXCELLENT meal served to us!! The portions were as would be expected in an Irish pub, BIG!!! If you're leaving this restaurant hungry, well, I'm thinking it's your own fault :)

And, at the end of lunch when the nasty old bill came, I wasn't seeing "double-in" in the numbers!! All in all, a very reasonable price.

In closing, who would have ever thought to find an authentic Irish pub in the middle of a historical mecca like Gettysburg. We venture out this way (from Ohio) about once a year, and I guarantee Garryowen will be on my list of places to re-visit next time here. So, with that, I'll leave you with this quote:

Here's Céad Míle Fáilte to friend and to rover
That's a greeting that's Irish as Irish can be
It means you are welcome
A thousand times over
Wherever you come from, Whosoever you be

Jeff and Janet

There are newer reviews for Garryowen Irish Pub

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stopped in for dinner after a long day touring Gettysburg on the recommendation of the owner of the Victorian Photo Studio. I called ahead to see if they took reservations and was told to just come on in because they always had tables for walk ins. We arrived with our party of 7 and had to wait maybe 20 minutes for a table - not unreasonable for a group of our size. 6 of us ordered the fish & chips - super crispy, not at all greasy, hot and delicious fish - great tartar sauce too! The fries were also hot and crispy. This is probably some of the best fish & chips that I have ever eaten! The portions were large too. The other person in our group ordered the shepherds pie - he didn't really care for it and really wanted to order the fish in the first place! He ended up eating the rest of the kids fish & chips - there was plenty! Paid parking on the street was easy to find. We had a nice and relaxing meal here, highly recommended!

1  Thank partyofour
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Wonderful food and service. We like the casual atomosphere. We stop several times during each stay. Our favorite in Gettysburg.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stopped by this restaurant for lunch and a pint. Nice Irish pub and family friendly. Waiter was very helpful with questions about the area and gave us very helpful parking meter advice. Food was brought to the table promptly and was very good. The BLT was a hit for me and went very will with my Harp. If you get a chance stop by and pay them a visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten here several times. I love their food! Bangers and mash is my all time favorite! And it's perfectly portioned for me! The best part they use real mash potatoes! The beer selection is fantastic also! I also like the live bands they have! I highly recommend it!

Been to Garryowen Irish Pub? Share your experiences!