“Very Good Food and Drink”

Garryowen Irish Pub
Ranked #4 of 131 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gettysburg's only Irish-owned and operated pub offers a genuine taste of Ireland through "Ceol, cainte agus craic" Music, talk & fun. Open 7 days for lunch & dinner, The Garryowen, or "The GO" as it's know to our regulars, is as inviting as any pub found back in the old country with friendly service, a large selection of Irish whiskies, the best of Ireland's draft beers, and the perfect pour of Guinness which is complimented with a carefully picked selection of international and domestic premium beers, wines and spirits. Our kitchen prepares the most authentic Irish fare in the area from the owners' family recipes, with many ingredients imported directly from Ireland. Paired with traditional pub fare, made in house daily from scratch with local ingredients where possible. Our menu is sure to satisfy the most discerning of tastes. Enjoy your meal in our cozy dining room, by the fireplace or at the bar.The first and third Sundays of each month are a special treat for lovers of Irish music, with a traditional 'Seisun' from 2 til 5pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We tried Garryowen's on the recommendation of the Roy-Pitz Brewing Company staff in Chambersburg!
My spouse had the bangers & mash, I had the Irish stew. Each had brown "gravy-type" sauces, but each had its distinct flavors and texture. The mashed potato,onion, sausage "tower" was perfectly "balanced." The stew's mixture of meat/carrots was delicious, and the french bread for dipping was a nice touch. The side salad for $1.95 was also very good - fresh greens and homemade dressing.
The Gettysburg 150th Anniversary root beer is excellent; as was the draft Murphy's stout.
Reasonable prices and very attentive service - but we ate at 5 pm on a Thursday.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I visited Garyowen on our recent trip to Gettysburg. We allowed for 4 nights to explore the city. We wound up eating here 3 times during our trip as the food was that good. The special I had on the first night (salmon on a bed of black mashed potatoes with crispy parsnips and baby asparagus) was to die for. My husband had the Reuben which he also enjoyed. We also had the Gaelic Shrimp and the Chile Soup. We also enjoyed the new friends we made at the bar. We learned so much about the town, history and local things to do. Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was THE restaurant I made sure to visit while in Gettysburg based on Trip Advisor reviews. I met up with a friend there and told my friend what a great place it was supposed to be. The four of us who ate there were disappointed with our meals.

I ordered the garlic chips as an appetizer, and they were just strange. They were homemade potato chips with LARGE amounts of garlic-flavored powder dumped on top. My son liked them, but I did not.

Based on the reviews here, I ordered the beef stew. It was horrible. The carrots in it were crunchy, and it just did not taste good. I only ate a few bites of it. My son had the Shepherd's Pie, and he like it alright.

Perhaps I went on an off night, but I just can't recommend this place based on the food. The service was average.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Great food! We had the Ulster fry and pulled pork sandwich. Ulster fry was very traditional and perfect for a foodie looking for some unique fair. It's not a large dining area but they were able accommodate us with a 6 month old. Recommend dining with the little ones at lunch time instead of dinner time as it is indeed a pub.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a great restaurant! My family of 4 each got something different and it was all wonderful and so was the service!!