“Nice pub experience in Gettysburg”

Garryowen Irish Pub
Ranked #4 of 132 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Gettysburg's only Irish-owned and operated pub offers a genuine taste of Ireland through "Ceol, cainte agus craic" Music, talk & fun. Open 7 days for lunch & dinner, The Garryowen, or "The GO" as it's know to our regulars, is as inviting as any pub found back in the old country with friendly service, a large selection of Irish whiskies, the best of Ireland's draft beers, and the perfect pour of Guinness which is complimented with a carefully picked selection of international and domestic premium beers, wines and spirits. Our kitchen prepares the most authentic Irish fare in the area from the owners' family recipes, with many ingredients imported directly from Ireland. Paired with traditional pub fare, made in house daily from scratch with local ingredients where possible. Our menu is sure to satisfy the most discerning of tastes. Enjoy your meal in our cozy dining room, by the fireplace or at the bar.The first and third Sundays of each month are a special treat for lovers of Irish music, with a traditional 'Seisun' from 2 til 5pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stopped here during the battle reenactments, so it was crowded. Had to wait for a table at the bar (no complaints) and had a chance to sample a few of their nice selection of beers. Our table was on the first floor in the back--a very dark section of the dining room. The meal was very good, though. My son had the Gaelic shrimp on crostini and I had the bangers and mash. Both were very good. The shrimp had a very nice, light garlic cream sauce; the bangers and mash was a bit heavier, but what would you expect from a good sized plate of sausage and potatoes? My son finished the meal with the Guinness chocolate mousse cake, which was excellent: all rich, moist chocolatey goodness. We could hear some nice music coming from the upstairs area, helping to create a pretty good facsimile of a real Irish bar.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've been to this place once before, last summer for lunch. It was great and I planned on returning this summer, only to walk in at 6:30 pm and be immediately turned around because apparently this place is now considered "a bar" and since my boyfriend and I are 20 years old we weren't allowed in. Not even into the dining area, where there were barely any people sitting.
Maybe it was turned into "a bar" just for Biker Week, but either way it was extraordinarily inconvenient and upsetting and some heads up would have been nice when we had called ahead asking how late the dining room was open and to inquire about reservations. We had been set on eating at this place for over a day and even knew what we were going to order, and also had plans for after dinner that we missed because we had to find a different restaurant to eat at.

Bottem line: If you're under 21 or have anyone in your group that's under 21, apparently you aren't allowed in anymore.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Was there with wife and grandson. I ordered scotch egg. First time I had one. It was very good. Wife had shepherds pie. It was the best she ever had. Grandson had wings (very expensive). If the second floor is closed off ask to go take a look very interesting if you like history. Waitress & service all good. Going back to Gettysburg for business soon and I will take my people to eat here.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Arrived on a busy night w/o reservations and had a 40 minute wait. No complaints about the service or the food. The restaurant is busy with too many tables in a confined space, and my chair was continually being bumped by patrons trying to navigate the room (going to and from the bar upstairs) so get a table in the corner if possible. Otherwise the atmosphere was pretty lively and entertaining, with a great ambiance.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel we stayed at recommend this place for a quick lunch. So glad we went. Great pub fare and very friendly staff. There were many out-of-towners there and the servers graciously answered everyone’s questions about various attractions. We liked the atmosphere so much we went back a few nights later and enjoyed the socializing at the bar. A good place to relax in between the sightseeing.

Been to Garryowen Irish Pub? Share your experiences!