“This is no restaurant”

Reliance Mine Saloon
Ranked #32 of 131 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Next to & part of Quality Inn hotel, local saloon, Bar food served. Check us out on Facebook and become a fan! : Reliance Mine Saloon Hours are Monday-Saturday 6pm-12am, Closed Sundays
Bangor, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This is no restaurant”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

....but it is a precious little gem of a place. I've been there perhaps 80 times over the last 15 years. For me it's charm lies in its prosaic simplicity. It's not bright shiny and sterile. But if you want to meet battlefield guides, civil war writers, experts in civil war photography, and a variety of the area's charming eccentrics then on a given night you just might. If you go to Gettysburg to drink of its history and power of place then this little place may provide just the right nightcap.

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Atmosphere and commraderie”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you are a Civil War buff, you're apt to run into licensed guides, book autors and fell CW buffs. Good bear as well.

Visited January 2012
Rock Creek, Ohio
“More like a dungeon than a bar.”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Too dimly lit and dreary. The decorating inside left a lot to be desired. The entrance to the bar from the parking lot of the Quality Court Motel walks you through a filthy hall that looks like it hasn't been swept in years. Nothing of interest inside the bar, just locals watching TV and talking sports.

Visited April 2012
“Great Dive”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

They don't do food, they don't do credit cards, but it's a great place to have a drink. If you don't know its there, you'd never see it, but the Reliance has to be a cult favorite of Gettysburg. The atmosphere is great for a bar--dimly lit, with wood tables, and matching mine attire. There are two beers on tap, but they have a decent selection of bottles and a good variety of liquor--and you can't beat the prices. Come in during the winter and you can sit by the actual fire place. The only bad part is that the hours vary, and they may not be open when you show up.

• Visited February 2012
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Sorry I missed it for so many years.”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have been traveling to Gettysburg since 1981 when I was 8 years old. Since I started reenacting in 1991, I have traveled to Gettysburg, at least, 3 to 5 times a year, every year, for events, family functions, vacations, etc. I cannot even begin to say how many times I walked right by the Reliance Mine and never went in. That was a huge mistake. A little over 2 years ago, my wife and I were staying at the Quality Inn and I received a coupon for a free drink at the Mine. A free drink is what got me there....!?!

Every time that I am in Gettysburg now, the Mine is the place where we finish most of our evenings. As others have stated, there is no food except for snacks, it is a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, and they have a fire going in the winter months. It is a little off the beaten path, so many tourists do not even know that the place exists.

One great aspect of the Mine is that it is a hangout for the Licensed Battlefield Guides, local authors, and historians. There is always a great discussion going on about some aspect of history, the Civil War, or Gettysburg. If you go there once, you are remembered and always included in the discussion no matter how much expertise you have on the topic being discussed. Every time that I go in there, the time absolutely flies by and when I leave I always look back and have had a great time. All of that and the draft beer is under $3. Just this last time that I was there, I met a couple from Indiana that have as big of an interest in Gettysburg that I do. We talked for hours...and again, the time flew by.

• Visited November 2011

Been to Reliance Mine Saloon? Share your experiences!