“Front desk very helpful - owner's horrible!!!”
Review of Artillery Ridge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artillery Ridge
Hamilton, Ohio
“Front desk very helpful - owner's horrible!!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at AR for almost a week and found the park very clean. The ladies who work the front desk were very pleasant and helpful to us. Then we met the owners......they should really retire....we dealt with two older men who were extremely rude and when we rented the pool for our Boy Scout Troop paying upfront for the service apparently they (the owners) weren't informed we paid already paid. One of the owners came to us and said we weren't allowed in the pool and after showing them our receipt was basically told he didn't care. We asked for our money back which he refused and told us he could care less if we returned. I was there for the entire event and the boys weren't loud and just kids swimming. One of the families we traveled with rented one of their cabins which had a very strong odor of sewage. They were told it was probably a dead rodent under the flooring and not to worry about it.....can you imagine??? I will say our camping spot was clean however when I pulled in there was a stop "line" to where the camper should stop. I initially stopped at the line but my sewage line (standard length) wouldn't reach so I had to pull up a foot or so. One of the maintenence men stopped and asked me why "all these campers at this spot" always pulled forward. I explained the sewage line issue and his response was "why wouldn't you buy a longer sewage line"? If that many campers had the problem wouldn't you think the problem lies with the spot and not the campers? Besides, I used to have one of the 12 foot lines and for a smaller camper like we own there's not a good place to store it.....you have to either put it in your vehicle or garage.....and if the line is too long the sewage doesn't drain properly.
The location was excellent....you're down the road from the town of Gettysburg and again, the ladies at the front desk were incredibly helpful and nice. One night I witnessed one of the owners being very disrespectful to one of the ladies because he felt she didn't charge a Boy Scout Troop (not ours) staying at the site enough money. If he was going to say something to the lady he should have done it in private.
We absolutely will not stay at this site again. I'll drive a little longer next time to avoid the rudeness and incredible disrespect we experienced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank TCD5212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fairfield Township, Ohio
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed on a pull-through camper site for five days
Positives:
- The campground is in an excellent location relative to historical sites in Gettysburg. The Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center is just down the road, as is the Gettysburg Military Cemetery.
- The pool was clean and refreshing, but see negatives...
- The shower house at the office was clean as far as campground shower houses go
Negatives:
- I camped at the campground with a group of other families. Our sons were in a boy scout troop who stayed at a different campground. Our troop PAID IN ADVANCE to allow the boys to use the pool for 1.5 hours one night. The boys were of course excited to be able to swim after a number of days camping in the heat. They did not cause injury to anyone, and obeyed all pool rules, and cleaned the pool area after they were kicked out because the old man who lives 50 feet from the pool complained about the noise. I guess it was noisy compared to every other day at the pool, which saw no other bathers.
- The Silver Bullet camper reserved by friends did not have a working toilet. That family was upgraded to a cabin, but the cabin had a sewer smell. The response from the front office was to give the family air fresheners.
- The owners of Artillery Ridge Campground actually said "we don't care if you come back or not" when we complained.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank klhenry97
Hartsburg, Missouri
Reviewed July 25, 2010

First thing on arrival the woman checking us in was extremely rude. That said, we never had to go back to the office for anything except sign up for the horseback riding so never had any reason to deal with them again. This campground is loaded with aging rental trailers and seasonal trailers so old they have window air conditioners. As long as you don't sped much time outdoors it is in an excellent location, right behind little round top, close to downtown also.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
South Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed here last weekend as the head of a group of Boy Scouts, having stayed here two or three times before (most recently before this in 2005) with similar sized groups. The best word to describe it - convienent. Its located on Taneytown Road less than two miles from Gettysburg National Military Park and the visitors center. You don't have to drive more than 200 yards from the enterence before you start seeing monuments. The camping sites are reasonably sized, we fit a troop of 22 people relitively comfortably into three adjacent sites (and that was including our large kitchen set up). The campground also has a few cabins and many, many rv sites.

But this campsite is about more than just convience. The staff is friendly and helpful, they were happy to answer all of my questions, as well as toleratant of 15 adolecent boys tramping through their campstore (this is a good place to look for cheap soldier figures, as well as cheap Rebel/Yankee hats before hitting the battlefield). They also offer horse rides (both in the area and on parts of the battlefield - this is an additional program and an additional fee), a playground, and free entertainment for guests (we were entertained by DJ Spinnin' Ron many years back).

In past years, you could walk right through the back of the camp store to see North America's largest battlefield diarama. The bad news is that the diarama was moved this past winter into town. The good news? Its only moved just up the road (a little past the visitors center) into a newer, larger building, and its still FREE with your reciept from the campground. They even renovated it, it looks great and (to me at least) was far more entertaining that the battlefield presentation at the visitors center.

While I've only ever attended this with large Scouting groups, I would happily attend this by myself or with my family. After writing this, maybe I will!

• Stayed March 2010