“Exactly what you might expect”

Farnsworth House Ghost Tours
Ranked #16 of 31 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Gettysburg's original ghost tour company that has been running for nearly 30 years. The Farnsworth House offers a variety of tours, including the Mourning Theatre, Mature Tour, ghost hunts, and walking tours. All tours enter the historic Farnsworth House, which was used as a Confederate stronghold during the Battle of Gettysburg and is belived to be the position from which the bullet that killed Jennie Wade was fired. The Farnsworth House has been featured on the TV Show: Ghost Hunters, as well as other programs on SyFy, Travel Channel, and A&E.
Dover, Delaware
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Exactly what you might expect”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I had fun on this tour because I wanted to have fun, and I was scared because I wanted to be scared. If you don't go in with that attitude, you probably won't have a great time. It doesn't take much digging to find a million signs pointing to the probability that the stories aren't true. We took the mature ghost tour, and I personally felt like they tried to cram too many people in. The guide was a bit more casual than I may have liked. But all in all, it was fun. The stories were spooky. I'm glad I went, but I might check out a different company next time just to see how they differ.

Visited April 2014
farnsworth_guide, Manager at Farnsworth House Ghost Tours, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thanks for coming out on the Mature Tour, and I'm glad to hear that you had fun! Although you are allowed your skepticism, I can tell you that the stories our guides tell are completely true and accurate. We have done painstaking research to make sure that all of our stories are true. Over the years, we have removed ghost stories from our repertoire that were discovered to be fabricated.

I can also tell you that the accounts that each of our guides relate on their tours are true as well. Each guide was a witness to the encounters that he or she may retell on our tours. Once again, you are entitled to skepticism. Heck, I was a skeptic at first as well, but trust me, if you spend enough time around the Farnsworth House things will happen that you cannot explain.

Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not awful but not as advertised”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We took the Cemetary Hill Ghost Walk which was advertised as 'walk through Gettysburg to explore some of the town’s most haunted locations'. visit the historic Farnsworth House, explore sites including the Jennie Wade House and the Grove, the site of a massive Confederate charge on July 2, 1863. (all this straight from their website)

This is what we did....We went to the attic of the Inn and the basement of the Inn. The stories were interesting of the various spirits at the Inn and the Inn itself is an architectural gem. The walk included walking about a block to a nearby school parking lot and the guide telling a story about a ghost in the nearby woods. That was it. No Jenny Wade and nothing about cemetery hill and nothing about the Grove. I do not know if it is a factor but it should be said that you may not go onto National Park property and the nearby school was also a construction zone.

I did not feel it was a complete waste of money (it was $9) and the guide was earnest and certainly knew his history but I do feel it was not as advertised.

Visited April 2014
farnsworth_guide, Manager at Farnsworth House Ghost Tours, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed you guide and your time in the Farnsworth House. We pride ourselves on having guides who are some of the most knowledgeable on the Civil War history and folklore. I am glad that you found the stories and history of the inn compelling.

However, I would like to point out that the tour conducted on the night you visited the Farnsworth House was the Combination Tour, a tour that we run after the main tourist season (Labor Day to Memorial Day). This tour visits the exact spots that you have described: the attic of the Farnsworth House, the cellar, and the Grove. This is why the tour did not go to the Jennie Wade house. I apologize if the representative at the service desk was not completely clear on the description of the tour; I will ensure that all representatives are accurate and precise in the future.

Additionally, the area by the school that you mention in your review is, in fact, the Grove, which lies on the north side of East Cemetery Hill. All stories that you heard in that location were about both the Grove and East Cemetery Hill as they are one in the same. We are equally frustrated that most of the Grove is currently under construction, but we are working to best accommodate our guests during that time to impact our tours as little as possible. We continue to visit the grassy area of the Grove as much as possible, but we are occasionally precluded from doing so due to safety hazards from the ongoing construction and the terrain.

It is true that our tours cannot venture onto National Park property, which is universal among all ghost tour companies. Legally, only National Park rangers and Licensed Battlefield Guides conducting a battlefield tour may conduct a tour on National Park property. Trust me; it is just a frustrating for us.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“An Ok experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

They were ok but they could be scarier it was an awful night. They told me i couldn`t go on the tours with my camera

Visited October 2013
farnsworth_guide, Manager at Farnsworth House Ghost Tours, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thanks for coming out on the tour despite the awful weather. We do our best to accommodate our guests even in a torrential downpour. I apologize that you were told that you could not bring your camera on the tour. We, in fact, encourage photography on our tours, especially for those seeking paranormal evidence. I will make sure that all employees are reminded of this. The only exception to our open photography policy is flash photography in the cellar when the lights are off because the flash will blind your guide. However, we ensure that all guests are given ample opportunity to take pictures in the appropriate lighting.
Kitchener, Canada
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Atrocious Service!Unbelievable.”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My daughter and I went in to inquire about the ghost tours. We stood around for about 10 minutes and there wasn't an employee in sight. Then a man came from the back office, walked past us twice, didn't say a word and disappeared into the back again. Then another guy came in from the beer garden. There was no indication that he worked there. He was looking at the items in the store. He finally asked if he could help us. He didn't know about the tours so he went to get some one else. A lady finally appeared and decided to deal with staff and a "leaky tap" issue and who knew about it and who knew what when, discussing in front of us while ignoring us. Finally, when she got around to us, she only provided times and prices. No details on what I get for my money. Then when I asked what the $50 ghost walk includes she seemed irritated and spoke to an employee again,before answering my question. We didn't bother with that tour. I felt quite unimportant. Guess they don't need my money.

3 Thank Sarah H
It troubles me to hear of your experience in the bookstore. Although, it is no excuse for deplorable service, I would like to make you aware that the representatives in the bookstore are in the employee of the Bed and Breakfast and not the ghost tour company. Although the service you received is out of my control, I understand that the negative behaviors of others reflects on the ghost tour company--a sad reality. I apologize that you found the representative unprofessional and ignorant of the ghost tour services. I assure you that all our guides are the total opposite of what you experienced, and, if you would honor us with a second chance, I would be more than happy to provide you with a wonderful experience on one of our ghost tours.
Aston, PA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lots of fun!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Went to the tavern during the day for lunch as the restaraunt wasn't open yet for the season. Enjoyed traditional tavern food and booked our ghost tour for the night. LOTS of ghostly activity, and shared storied from our guide. Definitely plan on doing this tour again!

Visited March 2014
farnsworth_guide, Manager at Farnsworth House Ghost Tours, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time at the Farnsworth House and am especially glad that you enjoyed your tour! We hope to see you again soon!