“Not as good as the first two visits”

Farnsworth House Ghost Tours
Ranked #15 of 30 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Gettysburg's original ghost tour company that has been running for nearly 30 years. The Farnsworth House offers a variety of tours, including the Mourning Theatre, Mature Tour, ghost hunts, and walking tours. All tours enter the historic Farnsworth House, which was used as a Confederate stronghold during the Battle of Gettysburg and is belived to be the position from which the bullet that killed Jennie Wade was fired. The Farnsworth House has been featured on the TV Show: Ghost Hunters, as well as other programs on SyFy, Travel Channel, and A&E.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I really enjoyed the Farnsworth House tours when I had visited twice in 2009. On this trip that I took in September this year I decided to do two of the tours again. I did the hospital tour and the mature tour. The hospital tour is as I remembered. It was enjoyable and our guide Sean was knowledgeable but didn't tell as many stories as the guide I had in 2009 and we didn't make nearly as many stops in the same tour time period as my previous experience. Still that isn't what disappointed me. I was really disappointed with the mature tour.
My first tour in 2009 Mike was the guide and he told countless stories about the house and surrounding area and even threw in a couple jokes. I had a blast. I went back a couple months later with some friends and Cliff and Mike were the guides for the mature tour and again much the same thing countless stories about the house and area and a couple jokes. This trip Mike and Cliff were the guides again and they told more "jokes" and irrelevant stories then they talked about the house. Cliff made this spiel that they do that kind of thing on all their other tours so on this one they should get to talk about whatever they want. That isn't what I paid for though. There were only a couple stories about the house and the rest of the stories were about past guests and whatnot. That isn't why I came back. I came back because I enjoyed the stories and experience. That is what they are getting paid to do. I think that management needs to consider the quality of this tour and if it is not going to be what it is advertised as then change the description. I would hate to send someone to Gettysburg and have them take this tour and not enjoy it because of how it is presented now. It used to be great.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had the chance to spend some time at the Farnsworth Inn, both eating at the tavern and also enjoying some of the tours.

I read all the reviews first and was concerned, some wwere very negative but I could not have been happier, with the location, food and the tours.

Everyone there was super nice, courteous and very much into what they were doing.

Some things did go wrong that night in terms of the tours, nothing is perfect when you are hunting ghosts I guess, but they handled it well and went out of their way to make sure we were pleased with the experience.

I guess its all about expectations. you have to remember, whehter you are eating here, staying at the B&B or enjoying the tours, this place is an attractions, an old one.

Do not expect the lap of luxury, rooms are very old, building is very old and things are spooky for sure.

go into this with the right expectations, its something to experience, and you will have a great time

1  Thank Ralph S
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family took the ghost tour of the attic and cellar of the Farnsworth House 2 weeks ago. Well let me tell you, that place is really haunted. We were up in the attic, the guide was telling her story when all of a sudden the door that was closed, swung open. I know what you are going to say, the door was not closed over enough and swung open because another door somewhere in the house was open or closed. The guide asked a gentlemen that was on the tour with his family to close the door and latch it. Well he did, the guide explained that a little boy was hit by and horse and buggy back in the day and brought into the Farnsworth House, where is died and the boy likes to play with the guests. With that said, we heard the latch jiggling, we all saw it, and the latch came out of the eye and the door swung open. Shortly thereafter, my son, who was 9 told my daughter, who was 3, to stop poking him in the back, Well my daughter was about 2 feet away from him sitting next to me on a bench, My son was sitting on the floor with me behind him and no one else touched him. The cellar is almost as bad. There are a lot of decorations down there to set the mood. Coffin, candles, skeletons, etc, but I was sitting in one corner of the cellar after a little while, one shoulder got cold, and I mean cold, like it went down to the bone cold. I definitely recommend this tour.

4  Thank lorraine d
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have been on many ghost tours in various locations. Mike was our guide on October 4th. Honesly, it was refreshing not to have kids or teenagers along. We got a very good history of the Farnsworth house, plus some amusing stories about the resident ghosts in the basement of the house. He also provided disclaimers about some of the normal house sounds we might hear. We then walked out to the woods behind the high school football field (the same one used in "Remember the Titans"). It was particularly eery, because there were some people in the cemetery, even though it was closed both due to the shutdown, and the hour - it was really dark. Mike knew his history, which was particularly refreshing since my husband is well-versed in Civil War history, particularly Gettysburg. We were allowed time to roam both the basement and the woods. The tour ends in a parking lot which is 50 yards from where it started. Mike had a wonderful story-telling style, and we really enjoyed it.

1  Thank BecRaz
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was the third time my friend and I have done the East Cemetery Hill Ghost Walk Tour. The tour takes you to the school property as close to the actual park battlefield as you can get and also in the attic of the Farnsworth House. Over the course of those times, my friend and I have each had our own small personal experiences (smell, touch) and have gotten an orb or two in some pictures. This is one of the reasons we keep going back. The other is the guides. They have been informative and entertaining (not in an overly kooky way - sounding over the top dramatic as we experienced on our first ever ghost tour in Gettysburg). This was the second time we had Chris, he is very charming and has a lot of great stories. He even got an applause from our group of 25 at the end of the tour.
The only downside is, it was the high school's homecoming game, so the stadium was full when we were on the school property. I would suggest the 9:30 tour for that reason.

2  Thank Wendy B