Review of 1863 Restaurant

1863 Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 132 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 1863 Restaurant is a "family-friendly", unique, casual dining restaurant that offers a wide range of appetizers, steaks, salads, sandwiches and desserts plus a few playful twists on old classics. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Menu favorites include: steaks, jumbo lump crab cake, specialty sandwiches and seasonal salads. Don't miss our daily lunch & dinner specials.
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Had dinner and breakfast . Highly recommend the prime rib for dinner and the crabmeat omelet for breakfast. Service was outstanding and the food was very good.

• Visited August 2014
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at 1863 Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our 1863 Restaurant. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your food selections as well as your dining experience. We look forward to having you dine with us again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Too close for comfort ....”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had breakfast on our first full day in Gettysburg at 1863. Service was prompt and efficient. The 3 egg omelet is excellent. A little pricey but the food was delivered hot and servings were good, hearty and tasty. Only down side to the dining experience - there were only two other tables in the dining room occupied at the time. An older woman two tables behind us - opted to use your outside voice for the entire time we were there. All you could hear was her and it made conversation at our own table difficult without trying to outshout this woman. We finally opted to eat on silence to avoid adding to the morning's disturbance. It appeared that the other tables were troubled as well by this one woman and her volume. Suggestion to hostess - instead of packing everyone into one corner perhaps spreading everyone out to afford some privacy when seating would help the dining experience for everyone.

1 Thank N R
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at 1863 Restaurant, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our 1863 Restaurant. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast. I am sorry that your dining experience did not live up to the atmosphere we strive to provide for our guests. I appreciate your feedback and I will follow up with your concerns. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to dine with us again.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Tried tbe red spinach salad and chicken w polenta - both were perfect. French onion soup was really good, not salty as commonly found. Bread pudding dessert clinched it for me. Prices are slightly steep, but tbe quality of the food and service make it a worthwhile experience for a.special occasion.

• Visited July 2014
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at 1863 Restaurant, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your dining experience in our 1863 Restaurant. I glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner, as well as the service. I will share your compliments with our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“lack of local competition?”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Perhaps just a bad night, but we followed recommendations for Calamari and halebut. The Calamari was described as fresh, not frozen. It was very thinly cut, fried in bread crumbs. A little lacking in taste, but also chewy, which means either not fresh or over cooked. The halibut was a disaster, first over cooked, dry, chewy, rejected.
Replaced with fresh batch which at first seemed ok, but as we progressed to the thicker part was over cooked on the top grilled surface, needing a firm knife cut to penetrate, then transparrent inside, slightly under cooked.

Both of us has this dish, so it was not a coincidence. I rarely send food back, and could have done it twice.
Service ok; wine slow in being refreshed, long wait for pudding. I would not choose this at half the cost, sorry.

1 Thank MootHouse
I am sorry to hear that your dinner in our 1863 Restaurant did not live up to your expectations. This is not the dining experience we strive to provide for our dinner guests. Please know that I appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to follow-up with your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to review our 1863 Restaurant. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Phoenix, Maryland
“Great Staff”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had 3 diff. servers in 2 days at the "1863" Restaurant and everyone was TOPS in their job.
Anyone who ever gets to Gettysburg,PA should stop in and have a meal here and you will be back.The names of the Servers are Tabhha, Steve and Linda also a great help was Kathie the concege. Thank you for a great time. Don Doherty

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our 1863 Restaurant, Mr. Doherty. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I will share you kind words with your servers as well as Kathi, our concierge. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!