“loved this place”

Comfort Suites Gettysburg
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Decided to call and make reservations for a handicapped room, so called directly to the hotel, the gal switched me to reservations, and I made reservations for a room on ground floor. Had to idea really where this hotel was when we came into Gettysburg, and just happened to drive by it! Well, we didn't get the room we wanted even, but up on the third floor. The gal at the front desk was very nice though and apologized for this, my husband wasn't very happy though!!.
Our room was nice and faced the road, we couldn't hear anything, so the rooms are very sound proof. We liked that it was so close to the Visitor/museum and Outlet stores and part of the battlefield was close by. The beds and pillows were very comfortable.
The breakfast room was nice and big with lots of tables, and long breakfast bar, with many choices. We especially liked the omelet type eggs they had with cheese in them. As someone else suggested maybe they could change their menu, as it was exact same choices the next morning, but there was the other choices :).
We liked that there was a restaurant right next door, which we ate at both nights we were there.
I was disappointed that they didn't have guest laundry though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Gettysburg

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Comfort Suites for one night traveling through Gettysburg on the first leg of a trip to Gettysburg, Philadelphia and Washington DC. I wanted a hotel close to all of the historic landmarks of Gettysburg, and the Comfort Suites is exactly that with comfortable rooms and great staff all at a fair price.

What I didn't realize when I booked the room is that the hotel itself is on located on Cemetary Hill on the edge of the Gettysburg public cemetary. The rooms on the backside of the hotel have a view of the cemetary itself. I have no issue with this, but my son would have. So when I checked in I asked for a room without the cemetary view and the hotel clerk kindly obliged. However, with this location, you're within walking distance of the Gettysburg National Cemetary which is a MUST VISIT. I wish I had more time to visit the National Cemetary, I would say at least two hours to see and read all of the monuments and appreciate the sacrifices all the brave souls who gave their lives during the Civil War made.

The hotel clerk gave a great recommendation on a restaurant in the area that met our needs. She was very helpful and friendly.

When visiting the battlefield, I highly recommend a private battlefield guide. They can be booked through the visitors center website for only $65 for two hours. I would recommend more than 2 hrs if you can swing it. A whole day on the battlefield and in the museum would be an adequate amount of time to spend at Gettysburg.

All in all a very nice hotel and a great value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed September 18, 2012

First of all, the location is very close to the battleground visitors center and just a mile from downtown so it was very convenient. We were surprised that the hotel is showing so much wear after just three years. Mold in the corners of the shower and dirty carpet in the common areas were just two things we noticed. The first morning for breakfast we had patties that are supposed to be some kind of eggs, sausage, and english muffins. It was so awful that we went to Café Saint-Amand the rest of our stay.

Then we had to deal with a pet peeve at checkout. There was a daily safe charge of $2.49 plus tax on our bill. It turned out to be somewhat of a hassle to get it removed and we won't know if we were successful until we get our credit card bill. All things considered, we probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

my husband and i stayed there this past aug 2012 for our first anniversary we had a wonderful time our room 412 was way beyond what we expected this had to be the cleanest hotel I have stayed in and I have done plenty of traveling and to top it off Michelle was the best she went above and beyond to make our stay so great she helped was with so many things that made our trip and stay wonderful thank you michelle for making our first anniversary unforgettable looking forward to seeing you again thanks beth and harold

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
roo32p, Manager at Comfort Suites Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your kind words! We are so happy you celebrated your anniversary with us. We will not hesitate to pass your kind words on to Michelle!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This has got to be the best location in Gettysburg for touring the battlefields. You can easily use the hotel as "home base" for your entire trip. Right down the street from the visitor center where you start your tours. The hotel is relatively new compared to the hotels in the area. It is your typical "chain hotel". Clean, friendly, safe enviroment. If you like the intamacy of a bread and breakfast or something with a lit of charecter, this is not for you. If you prefer just to do your own thing and be left alone in a fresh clean hotel, it's a good place. My only gripes are 1) the elevator sucked, long waits for a four floor hotel. 2) The ac in the room didn't work as well as I would expect. I never complained so they didn't have the opportunity to fix it.
If I go back to Gettysburg I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope the next time you stay with us it is perfect.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

What a clean and comfortable place. The bed and pillows were PERFECT!!

Ahhh!

Great location to boot!

Just about a mile from the outlet shoppes and walking distance to the historic town and many sights.

Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are happy you had a great nights sleep with us!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

When we planned a Labor Day weekend trip to Gettysburg, we chose this hotel based on its excellent reviews on this site. Overall, we found the hotel extremely convenient for touring the area.

Our check-in went smoothly, and we were immediately impressed with the staff. The clerk informed us of holiday fireworks which would be occurring on Sunday evening and recommended an appropriate viewing area. I asked her for recommendations for a Ghost Tour, and she provided me with her favorite. (Excellent recommendation, I might add!) Finally, she gave us a map of the area.

Our room was located on the 3rd floor facing the cemetery. We chose this view, as we felt it would be quieter. As other reviews have stated, this is an extremely quiet hotel with excellent soundproofing. I felt as if we were the only family staying in the hotel. We heard NOTHING from other rooms. This is certainly a rare happening.

Another reviewer stated that the 3rd floor had an unpleasant odor in the hallway. We noticed this as well, and honestly, I blamed it on the air conditioning unit. It smelled as if the vents needed cleaning. Overall, the property appeared clean, but the odor was not the best. At times I noticed this in our room, and once again, I attributed it to the a/c. As this same reviewer said, I didn’t feel our a/c unit was working up to par, as our room seemed a bit warm at times too. This issue is definitely one that the staff needs to address.

The room was very spacious and included a small sofa bed (not very comfortable). We had 2 queen beds, and I would rate the mattresses as average. Many people have raved about the beds here, but we didn’t find them to be anything special. I have slept on better mattresses, but I have also slept on worse. The room was clean, and I actually liked the cemetery view.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. We were at the Visitor’s Center in about 2 minutes, and the Jennie Wade House was only 4/10 of a mile away. We felt as if we were in the heart of it all but liked being away from the town square. The nightly rate was very reasonable considering we had a large room with a continental breakfast.

The continental breakfast was nice and offered eggs stuffed with cheese, sausage, make your own waffles with regular and blueberry batters, and the traditional continental breakfast fare. I would only suggest varying the eggs and meat a bit more. They were the same all 3 days we ate there. The breakfast room is a bit small, so I’d recommend an early arrival.

We continued to be pleased with the staff throughout our stay. My husband asked about the fireworks at the front desk on Sunday evening, and they informed him they had been cancelled to weather and humidity. They were helpful once again, saving us a trip.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and appreciated its convenient location and excellent value, particularly for a holiday weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank slrtravelplanner

Thank you for the wonderul review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I know the fireworks you had planned to see were cancelled due to the weather, just another reason for you to come see us next time fireworks.