“Very Informative”

and up
Gettysburg Guided Bus Tour
Ranked #4 of 31 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The ultimate Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour Experience puts you on our famous Double Decker Bus with a professional Licensed Battlefield Guide. Relive the Battle of Gettysburg, as told by the most knowledgeable historic storytellers in the area. This tour is also done on an Enclosed Air-conditioned Bus.
Dallas, Texas
295 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 370 helpful votes
“Very Informative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband & I were recently in Gettysburg for a wedding so we decided to see the "sights" while there. Gettysburg is definitely not what I expected, very, very small! It's just a small farm town where a 3 day battle happened. The bus tour was very informative & a quick way to see the monuments. If you're in Gettysburg I'd suggest doing it to hear more about the history there. We did the guided tour (not the double decker bus tour) it has a real person as a guide (as opposed to a recording you listen to) & you are enclosed in a Greyhound type bus (away from the elements) Our tour guide & bus driver were very nice & helpful!

5 Thank BrussoDallas

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Almost as good as a reinactment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

My 7 year old son and I were on a short trip together. We only had about 4 hours to spend in Gettysburg and based on the other reviews here decided to see it using this bus tour. This was a great decision. We took the guided option rather than the recording. The tour took us through the 3 day battle in chronological order, stopping at good vantage points to describe each phase of the battle. You get out of the bus several times as the guide describes the battle that was raging in that area. You also get out once for use of a restroom and a chance to buy a snack or drink. The guide was so good at telling the story, you could almost see the soldiers forming lines and launching attacks. I wish I remembered the name of the guide because I would request him next year and go back to hear it all again. He shared many interesting facts and made the tour interesting for adults and kids. He described the civilian experience, and was very fair in articulating the Union and Confederate political positions. The guide also described the realities of war without going overboard with gruesome details. My son called the tour "so interesting" and has been recreating battles with army men for the last few days. I'm so glad that he now has an understanding of a sad but important part of American history and a concept of war outside of Star Wars.

2 Thank flightlessbirds
Hope, New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great bus tour of battle grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband and I did the battle ground bus tour package. It starts with a short movie, then you go up to the museum and hear and see the battle played out on a huge picture that surrounds everyone. Next stop is the bus tour, which was 2 hours. It was an a air conditioned bus, which was wonderful since it was 101 degrees out this day. Our tour guide was great, he took us step by step threw each day of the battle. We stopped only three times, which I would have liked to stop more to take more photos. I learned so much from this tour which I had never learned in school.

We actually went back the next day with our car and a self map and took more photos. This was a tour to not miss.

5 Thank donnabelle57
Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Another Option”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

My wife and I are just back from Gettysburg. We went to book this bus tour & the person there told us that they only had one audio bus tour left for that day (no guide onboard), but he suggested that we go to the Battlefield Visitor Center to see about availability of a battlefield tour guide who would take us, in our car, around the site for a couple of hours. I was unaware of this option and it doesn't seem to be a subject here in TripAdvisor. I think there were only about 6 of us looking to take the bus tour and the few hundred dollars that they would collect wasn't worth sending a bus & driver out, but it was still nice of him to tell us about this option..

It cost $55 for the carload for a 2 hour tour (plus a tip if desired for the licensed guide), so it's about the same price as the bus if there are 2 of you. A better buy if there's more than 2. Longer tours are also available. You buy the ticket right at the main desk.

Our tour actually lasted about 2 1/2 hours. Our guide was amazingly knowledgeable about the battle, and being a native of Gettysburg told us quite a bit about the city. He made frequent stops (they drive, you watch & listen) and explained things so well, with such enthusiasm, that we felt we were there during those 3 days of battle.

I observed several other guides touring other carloads around and could tell that they all knew their stuff & really enjoyed what they were doing.

You can ride around for free in your car if you wish, but you will not get the real understanding unless you take a guided tour. This auto tour with a battlefield guide is an excellent choice.

10 Thank MikeofMA
Missouri
“Very informative.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Enjoyed the bus tour through the battleground. Lots of information.