“Pure History.”

and up
Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour
Ranked #6 of 29 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The ultimate Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour Experience puts you on our famous Double Decker Bus with a professional Licensed Battlefield Guide. Relive the Battle of Gettysburg, as told by the most knowledgeable historic storytellers in the area. This tour is also done on an Enclosed Air-conditioned Bus.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm not American, I live in Argentina but have always been an avid lover of the History. And I loved this tour very much. I was impressed by the Gettysgurg town itself. The way everything is preserv. Some times you think you are back in 1860's... Clean, a pride for the citizens. And the tour is greatly guided. More than 1,400 monuments on the battlefield. I got shocked.s true, you can do it with your car, but it is definitely NOT the same.

1  Thank FabianLupidi

Reviewed November 11, 2013

You cannot go to Gettysburg without taking this tour. The guides on the bus are the same ones that do the private tour. They drive your car. It is actually cheaper to take an individual guide if you have more than 3 people. We haf 4 and it would have been cramped in the car. Our guide, Jim, was tremendous. We viewed the movie first , then the Cyclorama, followed by a at least an hour in the museum. You could easily spend several hours on this self guided tour. We chose to do the bus tour the next day to break things up. As a primer to this tour I would suggest reading, The Killer Angels and/or seeing the movie Gettysburg. It was originally a TV movie, then released as a feature fil. The tour proceeds chronologically from the 1st thru 3rd day. To read or see a movie is one thing but to be able to visualize the the heroism and carnage in person thru one of the Certified Guides is memorable.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our tour guide was superb! He was a teacher by trade, and his passion for the subject matter was apparent in his ability to bring the battles to life and to engage as well as entertain his audience. Not only were there battlefields to see, but the guide also pointed out points of reference in Gettysburg, and told us some of the stories about the buildings we were passing. All passengers were treated with respect, and no question went unanswered. This is a great way to get an overview when you start your Gettysburg vacation.

1  Thank rhdiva
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Bummer for me that I let my wife overrule the US National Park personnel in the info at the museum. The US Ranger suggested we do the museum and then pick up a guide and do the battlefield drive our self. It was a beautiful day and bus ride was horrible. Old people who had to sit "in their seat" every time we stopped, a guide who told us everything he knew about the war but little if nothing about what we actually looking at. For instance at the first stop we all went out an under a beautiful tree the guide told us about how the war was going for 1861 up to the battle. We learned about "witness trees". Then we boarded the bus again. Or were about to until several of us began asking questions about the immediate area around us. And so it went the rest of the tour, antidotes about the battle but little that related to what went on where stopped. We didn't even stop at where Pickett's charge took place.

For those going, buy the museum pass and spend some time getting into the time frame. Then drive the battlefield yourself at your own pace. I saw Segway's in use and they also looked like an option. But the bus? No as there is zero value added there.

6  Thank dvmiles4361
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took her son to Gettysburg on his birthday. The Battlefield Bus Tour was part of the package that we purchased that also included the Museum, Cyclorama and a Film.

Normally, the bus tour costs $30 per person for adults and runs 2 hours. As it happens, our tour ran 2.5 hours and our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable.

At the outset, he told us that we would be making 2 stops to exit the bus, 1 stop for a restroom break and one for a chance to see monuments and be given a history lesson. As it turns out, we made 3 stops to exit the bus and the third on Little Round Top was unforgettable and a history lesson as well.

Our guide told us more information than I expected to hear, was very engaging and involved the passengers. He included information about Gettysburg that didn't involve the Civil War but was nonetheless intriguing, such as a section of town that was used as a Nazi POW camp during WWII.

This is how much I enjoyed this tour: I have never been an aficionado of the civil war. WWII has always been my forte. This tour roused my interest in the war and the people. Not just the tour, but the guide in particular.

Definitely worth the time and money, I just wish it had been longer.

3  Thank Funkybrunky

Been to Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tours? Share your experiences!