“Stay away from the bus! Do it yourself, you will enjoy it.”

Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour
Ranked #12 of 29 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The ultimate Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour Experience puts you on our famous Double Decker Bus with a professional Licensed Battlefield Guide. Relive the Battle of Gettysburg, as told by the most knowledgeable historic storytellers in the area. This tour is also done on an Enclosed Air-conditioned Bus.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Bummer for me that I let my wife overrule the US National Park personnel in the info at the museum. The US Ranger suggested we do the museum and then pick up a guide and do the battlefield drive our self. It was a beautiful day and bus ride was horrible. Old people who had to sit "in their seat" every time we stopped, a guide who told us everything he knew about the war but little if nothing about what we actually looking at. For instance at the first stop we all went out an under a beautiful tree the guide told us about how the war was going for 1861 up to the battle. We learned about "witness trees". Then we boarded the bus again. Or were about to until several of us began asking questions about the immediate area around us. And so it went the rest of the tour, antidotes about the battle but little that related to what went on where stopped. We didn't even stop at where Pickett's charge took place.

For those going, buy the museum pass and spend some time getting into the time frame. Then drive the battlefield yourself at your own pace. I saw Segway's in use and they also looked like an option. But the bus? No as there is zero value added there.

6  Thank dvmiles4361
"great overview"
in 10 reviews
"licensed guide"
in 15 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"well worth the money"
in 12 reviews
"three days"
in 14 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took her son to Gettysburg on his birthday. The Battlefield Bus Tour was part of the package that we purchased that also included the Museum, Cyclorama and a Film.

Normally, the bus tour costs $30 per person for adults and runs 2 hours. As it happens, our tour ran 2.5 hours and our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable.

At the outset, he told us that we would be making 2 stops to exit the bus, 1 stop for a restroom break and one for a chance to see monuments and be given a history lesson. As it turns out, we made 3 stops to exit the bus and the third on Little Round Top was unforgettable and a history lesson as well.

Our guide told us more information than I expected to hear, was very engaging and involved the passengers. He included information about Gettysburg that didn't involve the Civil War but was nonetheless intriguing, such as a section of town that was used as a Nazi POW camp during WWII.

This is how much I enjoyed this tour: I have never been an aficionado of the civil war. WWII has always been my forte. This tour roused my interest in the war and the people. Not just the tour, but the guide in particular.

Definitely worth the time and money, I just wish it had been longer.

3  Thank Funkybrunky
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The guide we had on our bus and the driver were super nice, helpful and so very knowledgeable. The guide never made any question see too small and answered everything as well as pointing out the sights we were seeing. I think the men on the tour could enjoy it much more than the women, because after all, it is of battlefields and I found my mind wondering when they were explaining what weapons were used and what the range was, but the men seemed very interested. That being said there were other things covered that hit a bell with me too and I was very glad we took this tour.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This was a very good tour . I would highly recommend this for anyone wanting to see the battlefield. The tour guide was very knowledgable and made it interesting for people who don't like history. This tour is one that should be taken.

1  Thank Mladuew
See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It you don't know much about the battle it will probably be a bit of a whirlwind tour - so much went on so quickly there in those few crowded and blood-soaked days. We bought out own tour guide with us - our oldest son - and he was able to point out and name all the areas and tell us exactly what happened there. (We're Australian by the way.) Everything has been carefully preserved down to the bullet holes in the walls of Gettysburg houses. The bus ride from Washington was a bit tedious - especially on the way back - but it was worth it.

1  Thank John M