“Very Thought Provoking”

Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tours
Ranked #10 of 29 Tours in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The ultimate Gettysburg Battlefield Bus Tour Experience puts you on our famous Double Decker Bus with a professional Licensed Battlefield Guide. Relive the Battle of Gettysburg, as told by the most knowledgeable historic storytellers in the area. This tour is also done on an Enclosed Air-conditioned Bus.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The day trip involves a 10 hour bus trip commencing at Union Station Washington DC

The trip to the battlefield takes about 1 1/2 hours but the scenery is quite nice. A film of the battle is also played on the monitors as background to the trip.

First stop was in the town of Gettysburg where further background was provided by local guides dressed in Union, and Confederate costume of the day. These guides provided an insight into the day to day rituals of the individual soldiers. Although a short visit, about 1/2 hour, it was time very well spent.

Off then to the visitor centre where there was a short documentary on the battle followed by a 10 diorama presentation. Again these presentations were well worthwhile.

Finally a two hour tour of the major locations of the three day battle. The local guide was excellent, dramatic and theatrical. He provided insight into the reasons for the battle and some of the decisions taken over those three days, and the repercussions of the battle's outcome. Seemingly a very balance and informed commentary. This was largely a bus trip but there were short photo stops.

Yes, perhaps having an interest in military history makes this visit more worthwhile, but not necessarily.
It is a well balance tour which provides a thought provoking consideration as to the lead up, the battle, and the aftermath which culminated in 51000 casualties over those three days in 1863

2  Thank Dencal1945
"great overview"
in 10 reviews
"licensed guide"
in 16 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"three days"
in 15 reviews
"visitor center"
in 11 reviews
"stops"
in 89 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We took the double decker bus tour. We sat on top and it was awesome. It was two hours and we stopped and got out at Little Round Top. You wore headphones and heard a combo of the driver talking and a pre recorded message. I loved it, my wife loved it, and my 2 girls - ages 10 &9 loved every minute of it. I highly recommend it.

2  Thank sobigs2
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Because if you're not...you're going to feel like you spent a few hours driving around a bunch of fields with neat wooden fences. I am not a history buff, but I am fairly intrigued by history. I enjoyed the tour. I wouldn't go again for at least 4-5 years or so. My wife, not so much intrigued by history. I think she was wore out after the first hour. A little bit of walking - mostly riding, and a few nice stops along the way. If you like history - this one is for you!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

What an exceptional experience!! So glad we opted for the actual guide vs a recorded presentation. Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and personable as well. Although she was obviously suffering from hay fever she was undaunted in her mission to educate us and did so in a manner that was both informational as well as interactive. She truly made the whole "Gettysburg" experience complete. Kudos young lady, great job! I highly recommend this tour as it was inexpensive, informative and very comfortable in our ENCLOSED / AIR CONDITIONED bus! Best two hours I've spent in a long time!! Hard to find ANY faults with this adventure, I'd say it's a "MUST" if you're going to Gettysburg!

2  Thank Robert H
See more reviews
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited the Gettysburg Battlefield on August 17th 2013 at 1330hrs, with our 2 teenage sons. We are always extremely impressed by the NPS programmes and generally possess a positive outlook on life. We had all done a significant amount of reading about the battle, including the troop movements and strategies. Having read the positive reviews for the bus tours, we decided to pay the substantial amount of money and take a tour. I have to admit that we were very disappointed. The bus was crammed full and our family was unable to sit together. Despite taking maps with us it was very difficult to get orientated. This was exacerbated by the poor PA system. The tour guide, who was obviously extremely knowledgable spent much of the 2 hours mucking about with one of the passengers. I didn't feel engaged by him. When we got off the bus it was difficult to hear what the guide was saying and we were told if you are late back we will go without you! I am realistic that the company must be on time, however it was the way the message was delivered which was difficult to take. i.e. no smiles or sense of humour. I give my 1 point for the bus being in working order. After the tour we drove around the Battlefield ourselves and this was fantastic. The observation towers are excellent and really help you get your bearings. The one way system is easy to navigate and you can hop in and out of your car wherever you like, for as long as you like. This review in no way reflects upon the battlefield itself which we felt was humbling, haunting and impressive in equal measure.

5  Thank Michelle H