“Good food, slow service”
Review of Cafe Saint-Amand - CLOSED

Cafe Saint-Amand
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I always enjoy the food (and iced chais) at Cafe Saint-Amand in historic Gettysburg. It's a nice place to meet friends for coffee and croissant, or for lunch or Sunday brunch. I love the Aubergine pesto sandwich for lunch, and I took out-of-town guests there for an excellent Sunday brunch, but don't go if you are in a hurry. The service is slowwwww. It has been since they opened several years ago. Don't let that deter you. Just be sure and allow yourself plenty of time.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I decided to get off the Interstate system for a while and meandered north from the Washington DC area routing ourselves through Gettysburg and then on to Amish country. With a little nudge from TripAdvisor postings we dropped in to Cafe Saint Armand for late breakfast / early lunch.

The Cafe has an inviting, warm ambiance, with booths down the side of both walls, tables down the center and three high stool tables at the window front, ideal for sidewalk people watching. All tables and booths are covered with brown table cloths under glass. French music plays softly in the background, loud enough to be understood but without interfering with conversation.
The sign at the greeting dais said Please Seat Yourself so we grabbed one of the window tables.

I chose the Andouille Frittata, one of the daily specials not on the regular menu. A number of reviews had specifically praised the Croque Madame, so with a little urging from me, that is what my wife ordered, choosing the breakfast potatoes as her side dish. (The other choice is fruit.) While we were waiting for our meals to arrive she also mentioned to me that she really wanted a sweet crepe and would probably order one later.

The Croque Madame arrived and was everything the menu and the reviews had promised... ham, melted gruyére cheese on French rustic loaf accented with Dijon mustard baked to a golden brown, topped with a fried egg. Really tasty. Great choice. But note the words from the menu “on French rustic loaf'”... which translated into huge, covering the plate side to side, barely leaving room for the accompanying large portion of scalloped potatoes. Absolutely great. In spite of being quite hungry, my wife could only manage to finish half her plate. She did leave room for the lemon crepe she ordered, of which she only let me have the merest taste. Also very good.

The Frittata was a slightly more manageable size, and just as enjoyable. The slices of andouille sausage were appropriately spicy and nicely complemented the tastes of egg and vegetable ingredients. Would be a great addition to the regular menu.

Coffee was very good. Service was friendly, helpful, attentive and patient. (It took us a little extra time and a number of questions before making our choice decisions.)

We noticed a couple seated at a nearby booth were both really enjoying their meals, so I asked as we were leaving what they had ordered. He reported that the Steak and Eggs Crepe was delicious. She raved about her choice of warm sweet crepe... enclosing a large portions of fresh seasonal berries and topped with fresh whipped cream.

All-in-all, based on our one-time experience, a great place for breakfast / lunch. Bring your appetites and uppress your calorie guilts. (We did notice on the dinner / lunch menus that there are a number of salad offerings... but that would seem to defeat the purpose for going to a French bistro.) If/when we return for a stay in Gettysburg, we intend to explore the dinner menu.

NOTE: As we were leaving we grabbed one of the printed takeaway menus. Prominently printed on the front cover is BYOB. Always nice to know for that eventual future stay in Gettysburg.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Who knew that we would find an affordable French restaurant in the heart of Gettysburg PA? Son had walked the downtown area and reported that the prices at the Café Saint-Armand were reasonable, so it sounded worth a try for our late (2:30pm) lunch. The menu is fairly extensive, and we were assured that all items were made in-house. My soup-and-sandwich combination consisted of French onion soup and a large French dip half-sandwich. I was enjoying it so much I didn't even notice what my companions ordered and ate. We shared two desserts, including a rich chocolate mousse, not like the pudding type so often served. The only down-side of the experience was the young wait staff giggling among themselves in the back of the room. - Not serious enough to dissuade me from recommending this restaurant highly. Very fairly priced for the quality of the food.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This place was highly recommended to us for breakfast and it did not disappoint. The location is great as it is off the square and not on the extremely noisy main street. It is quaint, clean and much bigger than it looked like from our approach. Our server, Brittany, was attentive and provided excellent service. We ordered Eggs Florentine and Onion and Cheese Crepes. Both were great. The temperature was hot, presentation was nice, portions were generous plus the surprise of the best breakfast potatoes I have had in a very long time. The eggs were poached perfectly, the Mornay Sauce has just the right amount of nutmeg and a silky texture that pleased. The Crepes were stuffed with Caramelized Onions and very tasty Swiss Cheese. We saw food going to other tables. The Pain Perdu (French Toast with fresh fruit) looked ready for the cover of Bon Apatite. We felt that this was an exceptional value. We will definitely return when in the area. Want to try dinner also.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Had breakfast here the last two days and my wife and I left very impressed. The food and service for breakfast were fantastic. Highly recommended.