“Creative salads well-prepared”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Monday afternoon, 30 minutes before lunch hour closes out. Two diners who have spent half a day at the Gettysburg battlefield step into the coolness of the Cafe Saint-Amand. A window seat, a cool glass of water and two nearly perfect salads. Ahh, sweet renewal. If the duck salad is available, don't think twice about ordering. Ditto the salad Nicoise. You'll be surprised at the generous portions and reasonable prices. And happy to not be eating a meal on a bun.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Conveniently located just off the Square. Nice selection of American and French Breakfast items. The coffee was excellent. The waiter was very friendly and the wifi was free.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have eaten here at least six times- not my choice, but a favorite of my friend. I've yet to get a decent meal and the service is routinely horrible. Servers forgetting things, smelling like cigarette smoke, not knowledgeable of the menu, food or ingredients. Pass this one by-

1  Thank Reiny1491
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came across this cafe while searching for another restaurant that had closed and also after enduring three days of hotel issued free breakfasts. The cappuccino was just what the doctor ordered and, fortunately, came in a good sized cup. I only had fried eggs and wheat toast, which was very good but did not test the chef's skills like crepes or waffles might. Will have to come again.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

First of all, we read lots of reviews before choosing a place to go eat and stay. We are not super picky, but have certain basic expectations. After reading the reviews here for Cafe Saint-Amand, we felt that this was a must stop while in Gettysburg. We had also read in a local publication that said this was the number one rated breakfast in Gettysburg. That, of course, sealed the deal. We had to try it and figured others who had rated this restaurant lower must have been super picky. (Although while talking about our experience to some of the locals, none had ever heard of the place. Maybe that's a clue.)

We arrived for breakfast early enough that it was not crowded at all. It was "seat yourself" and the waitress came over promptly. We ordered three different breakfasts: a banana/nutella crepe, a bacon, cheese and mushroom omelet, and the Cafe Breakfast. I was surprised by the fact that the crepe was room temp to cold. Crepe itself was not even warm and the bananas were simply cut into slices and placed inside cold. I guess it's my fault thinking that the bananas would somehow be warmer or carmelized. The description DID say fresh, yet it also said the crepe would be "warm". Not so. I've had better and tastier crepes at Universal Studios in California. The omelet was not fluffy, very flat, and just warm. It had a piece of sliced white cheddar, not all the way melted. Good amount of ingredients, but the bacon was just placed inside the omelet in long strips, not broken into pieces, making it very difficult to eat. Ever had to saw at your omelet to eat it? Not fun. Finally, the Cafe Breakfast - two eggs over medium, bacon and a side of wheat toast. Eggs were made well. No complaints there. Bacon, hmmm. How many slices of bacon would you assume to receive when you get a breakfast like that. 2? 3? If you're lucky, maybe even 4! In all my years I've never had less than 2...ANYWHERE! But I have never been to Cafe Saint-Amand. ONE! One silly slice of bacon. Are you kidding? Anyone like cold toast? Hard to spread butter on cold toast. The two egg breakfasts came with toast, both cold.

There are a couple of diners in town, Ernie's and Luke's. I know when I go to a diner, it may not have a super "presentation", but I'll get a good meal at a better price. We had higher expectations for Cafe Saint-Amand and paid the higher price for the meal to get it. Those expectations were not met. We would NOT go there again. On the flip side, we did go to Luke's the next day. You have to go to a counter to order your food, but then it is brought to your table. Good, comfort, diner style breakfast with LOTS of bacon, a nice staff, and concerned owner/chef that wanted to remake an egg for us when it broke on the plate. We wish we had the same care taken for our meal for the price we paid at Cafe Saint-Amand!