“Good start to the day”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
State College, Pennsylvania
“Good start to the day”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came across this cafe while searching for another restaurant that had closed and also after enduring three days of hotel issued free breakfasts. The cappuccino was just what the doctor ordered and, fortunately, came in a good sized cup. I only had fried eggs and wheat toast, which was very good but did not test the chef's skills like crepes or waffles might. Will have to come again.

• Visited July 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
“If you love bacon and hot food, not for you!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

First of all, we read lots of reviews before choosing a place to go eat and stay. We are not super picky, but have certain basic expectations. After reading the reviews here for Cafe Saint-Amand, we felt that this was a must stop while in Gettysburg. We had also read in a local publication that said this was the number one rated breakfast in Gettysburg. That, of course, sealed the deal. We had to try it and figured others who had rated this restaurant lower must have been super picky. (Although while talking about our experience to some of the locals, none had ever heard of the place. Maybe that's a clue.)

We arrived for breakfast early enough that it was not crowded at all. It was "seat yourself" and the waitress came over promptly. We ordered three different breakfasts: a banana/nutella crepe, a bacon, cheese and mushroom omelet, and the Cafe Breakfast. I was surprised by the fact that the crepe was room temp to cold. Crepe itself was not even warm and the bananas were simply cut into slices and placed inside cold. I guess it's my fault thinking that the bananas would somehow be warmer or carmelized. The description DID say fresh, yet it also said the crepe would be "warm". Not so. I've had better and tastier crepes at Universal Studios in California. The omelet was not fluffy, very flat, and just warm. It had a piece of sliced white cheddar, not all the way melted. Good amount of ingredients, but the bacon was just placed inside the omelet in long strips, not broken into pieces, making it very difficult to eat. Ever had to saw at your omelet to eat it? Not fun. Finally, the Cafe Breakfast - two eggs over medium, bacon and a side of wheat toast. Eggs were made well. No complaints there. Bacon, hmmm. How many slices of bacon would you assume to receive when you get a breakfast like that. 2? 3? If you're lucky, maybe even 4! In all my years I've never had less than 2...ANYWHERE! But I have never been to Cafe Saint-Amand. ONE! One silly slice of bacon. Are you kidding? Anyone like cold toast? Hard to spread butter on cold toast. The two egg breakfasts came with toast, both cold.

There are a couple of diners in town, Ernie's and Luke's. I know when I go to a diner, it may not have a super "presentation", but I'll get a good meal at a better price. We had higher expectations for Cafe Saint-Amand and paid the higher price for the meal to get it. Those expectations were not met. We would NOT go there again. On the flip side, we did go to Luke's the next day. You have to go to a counter to order your food, but then it is brought to your table. Good, comfort, diner style breakfast with LOTS of bacon, a nice staff, and concerned owner/chef that wanted to remake an egg for us when it broke on the plate. We wish we had the same care taken for our meal for the price we paid at Cafe Saint-Amand!

• Visited July 2013
Pampa
“Nice surprise on main street”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We happened into the cafe the first day in town and had delighful crepes. We just kept going back for almost every meal. Their menu was varied but truly French fare. I recommend you give it a try.

Visited June 2013
Croydon
“Nice, friendly, casual restaurant”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Food was delicious, server was friendly, helpful, and attentive. Tempting,delicious homemade desserts are on display.

Visited June 2013
Pickerington, Ohio
“Fabulous breakfast”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family tried this restaurant the morning before our visit to the visitor center/ museum/battlefields.This place is not fancy but the food was great. Menu has typical breakfast fair and food was excellent. Coffee reminded me of Europe. We got lucky and saw General Lee and his wife having coffee! My only complaint was the staff could have been more friendly.

Visited July 2013