“Good food, good value”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Ottawa
“Good food, good value”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had our meal here on the last night of a two week road trip to 'celebrate' and were not disappointed. You do need to remember to bring your own wine as they don't have it themselves, although for those of us who forget (or don't know) they have a great system of serving you one complimentary glass of a house red or white that they keep on hand! We are non-meat eaters (pescatarians) but this presented no problems and left us with plenty of choice. We had become used to portion sizes in the US by the time we arrived and so avoided 'mains'. We both ordered an appetizer and both were faultless, generous themselves in size and set us off well for the meal (warm brie cheese with mushrooms for one and a goat's cheese with apple and walnut salad for the other). Then one of us had a delicious and generous Salad Nicoise with moist rare tuna - no tuna from a can rubbish here! The other of us ordered from a very helpful 'lighter fare' portion of the menu and had a ratatouille crepe that was delicate, tasty but would have benefited from some sauce for the provencal vegetables inside. For dessert we were told that the owner baked all on site so we shared a lemon tart that had that great balance between tart and sweet but the crust was too hard for a crumbly short crust and there was too much whipped cream for my abstemious taste. Overall the bill was surprisingly low (less than $50) and this was fantastivc value even in the face of the few shortcomings. The server was particularly helpful and friendly and the atmosphere very french. Recommended for sure.

Schroon Lake, New York
“wonderful”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

we had lunch here and the coffee is wonderful! The food is so good we were in heaven! My only comment is the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing was cold which of course made the icing hard and less delicious.

Visited March 2013
Gettysburg PA
“A little French flavor”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant in the historic town of Gettysburg, PA gives one a taste (literally and figuratively) of France. The cuisine is similar to what one finds in many French bistros with Croque Monsieur, French onioin Soup, crèpes, Coq au vin, etc. with eye-opening desserts. In addition to the fine cuisine, there is French popular music in the background and photos of Paris to add to the ambiance. When I dined there with friends a week ago, they brought French wine to add to a wonderful evening of good conversation and food...just like in France. If you are planning to visit Gettysburg for the the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, this is a wonderful place to relax and have good food after a day of sight-seeing.

Gettysburg, PA
“Must be a secret, food deserves a crowd!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I know I reveiwed this recently but I dined here again and needed to write a new review!! So my family went for dinner on a Saturday night. We were amazed there were not many tables taken. We started with an order of Calamari. The waitress informed us that they are now breading the calamari in house. Thank God cuz if I had known it was frozen Sysco squid I would have passed. The calamari is served on a plate with some tarter sauce spread on the plate and some lemon. They could have used a little more flavor. However with lemon and salt they were great. For dinner we has the NY strip Au Porvere.(?) excellent. The flavor of that steak was so good. The steaks were served with mashed potatoes. I would skip those. However we had them and wanted gravy. They dont really have gravy in French restaurants but they accommodated us and the chef whipped some up. It was great gravy! We had the glazed carrots. They use a large cut carrot and they are cooked perfectly. The burger had a great flavor. The Berry crepe was very good and very basic. Rae berried and fresh whipped creme in a crepe. With the cost of berries these days the berry crepe is priced perfectly I wanted to say. I thought that as we ate it. For the children they serve pancakes on the kids menu! Ideal for one of mine. They were so good! They made a little face with berries. The staff was very friendly and they also have a little area with games or things kids can fiddle with at the table. OH! I wanted to say thay I ordered a croissant and found it odd that it was served sliced in half horizontally. Like I was going to make a sandwich. Just found that odd. I would also recommend this place for dates. The atmosphere is romantic and you can BYOB.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Sunday Brunch for the family”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We happened upon this little cafe on a Sunday morning trip to Gettysburg park. Conveniently located in downtown amongst the antique/relics shops. The staff were extremely friendly, coffee nice, food was scrumptious, pastries good enough to take several home! The service was excellent. We each had a different 'french' entree and there was plenty to share. I will dine here again during my next trip to Gettysburg.

• Visited October 2012