“A must-see for every American”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A must-see for every American”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

As most Americans know, Gettysburg, PA was the site of the pivotal battle of the Civil War. 150,000 combatants were shoehorned in the rolling hills of south-central Pennsylvania for three days and waged war against one another. The battlefield and the town are favorites of mine, and the restoration work and the monuments in every nook and cranny of the battlefield just knock me out. The new visitors center is a must-see also, with the cyclorama restored to its original beauty and the best Civil War bookstore in the country. You can take guided tours, bus tours, car tours, bike tours, but the best way to see the battlefield is to walk around. It doesn't take much imagination to hear the cries and shouts of the soldiers and the cannon fire. You can feel the incredible sacrifice that many soldiers made. It truly is hallowed ground, like walking into a vast cathedral of history. I'd recommend this trip for anyone, even kids, because there is plenty of room for them to get out and stretch their legs. And don't forget the National Cemetery where many of the dead are buried and where Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address; it is a place for reverence. I've been coming to Gettysburg for over 50 years and it never fail to impress and inspire me. I've been trying to talk my wife into retiring here; maybe I'll see you tromping around sometime.

Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Morgantown, West Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A historical must-see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Anyone wanting to see a part of US history, must see this. I've taught Civil War history to 8th graders, but to actually see the battlefield, it just emphasizes how monumental this battle was. It took my breath away. I actually had a bum ankle and could only limp around for a bit. Planning on going back and really walking around and seeing Little Round Tree and more of the sites. Try and pick a descent day so can really spend time there.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Redheadedlass
NH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Moving even in bitter cold”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had no idea what to expect when we visited unexpectedly in early January 2014 during recent arctic cold snap. Museum exhibits among the best we've ever seen in a national park (and we've seen many); restored cyclorama worth the price of admission alone; but most of all, we were moved by the battlefields, the monuments, the explanations. So glad that the park has (mostly) maintained the historical nature of the site. We had the extraordinary good fortune to be able to walk around nearly alone. Truly an experience for the life list.

Visited January 2014
Hanover, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Experience history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have lived not far from the battlefield for 30 years and I still have a sense of reverence at certain places in the park. When relatives visit we go and do the auto tour and make frequent stops along the way to get out and get an up close view. Little Round Top and Devil's Den are always areas to get out at. These are the two areas where it hits home for me, how many men died here. Word of warning, if you go to Devil's Den near dusk or after dark you may experience a visit from a ghost!. It is a great place to spend a few days to experience what happened during this turbulent time in our history. Walking through town you will also notice that battles took place here also. Come when it is warm and you can sit in the sun and remember what happened here.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Debra F
Allen Park, Michigan
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 309 helpful votes
“THE MOST SURREAL TRIP YOU WILL EVER REMEMBER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The most surreal trip you will ever experience. Words cannot describe the overall sight of this part of Americana History. This was a trip on my Bucket List for a long time and my wife and I finally decided to do it. We arrived in Gettysburg Late at night. The white colonial style fences lining the 2 lane highway like a momentary scary part of a Stephen King Novel, we assumed that this must be THE BATTLEFIELD in which our ancestors fought on back in the 1800’s. We found our Hotel and buckled down for the evening. We woke the next morning to the sight of a few rolling hills and the same two way highway we drove in on. As we looked around I thought wow it’s a lot smaller than I thought. We left our hotel for a brief walk through town and that’s when reality hit us. We weren’t looking at the Battlefield – We were in the Battlefield – All of what you see – walk and breath in Gettysburg is where the fighting occurred.
Keep in mind Gettysburg was only PART of the civil war – The battlefield stretched for States, Gettysburg was fought over as a Key Strategic Location for the war – However it was the bloodiest battle of the civil war where as many as 56,000 casualties occurred over 3 days. --- sorry history lesson…
As I Said There is so much to tell and words can’t tell you an eighth of what is to be seen and experienced. My only suggestions are as follows:
First and Foremost
WATCH the movie “Gettysburg” before you make your visit. You will have more of a defined vision of what you are looking at – Especially when you see the area where Pickett made his charge, or when you see Devils Den

Second - Plan a long stay – We were in Gettysburg for 3 days and only seen a quarter of what is there maybe 5 days or a week if you enjoy history
Third – Camera make sure it’s a good one – you will be taking a lot of pictures
Fourth – Its not very well identified but the Main battlefield is now a National Park – it is so big you have to drive your car through to see it. My wife and I stopped along the way and walked here and there. It is a very eerie feeling that no matter where you walk – you know something happened in the spot you are in. Also – If you are fascinated by ghosts or supernatural things – I strongly suggest you go through the Battlefield after dusk and go to Devils Den – And as I aforementioned make sure you have a good camera and a Back Up Battery – this was the only place and time where our camera and cell phone batteries completely discharged (more than once)… You tell me.

There are no fees associated with the National Park that we can remember but there are other areas that have some type of admission fees

Visited February 2013