“Experience history”

Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #2 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have lived not far from the battlefield for 30 years and I still have a sense of reverence at certain places in the park. When relatives visit we go and do the auto tour and make frequent stops along the way to get out and get an up close view. Little Round Top and Devil's Den are always areas to get out at. These are the two areas where it hits home for me, how many men died here. Word of warning, if you go to Devil's Den near dusk or after dark you may experience a visit from a ghost!. It is a great place to spend a few days to experience what happened during this turbulent time in our history. Walking through town you will also notice that battles took place here also. Come when it is warm and you can sit in the sun and remember what happened here.

1  Thank Debra F
Write a ReviewReviews (6,961)
All reviews
in 82 reviews
"cemetery ridge"
in 71 reviews

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The most surreal trip you will ever experience. Words cannot describe the overall sight of this part of Americana History. This was a trip on my Bucket List for a long time and my wife and I finally decided to do it. We arrived in Gettysburg Late at night. The white colonial style fences lining the 2 lane highway like a momentary scary part of a Stephen King Novel, we assumed that this must be THE BATTLEFIELD in which our ancestors fought on back in the 1800’s. We found our Hotel and buckled down for the evening. We woke the next morning to the sight of a few rolling hills and the same two way highway we drove in on. As we looked around I thought wow it’s a lot smaller than I thought. We left our hotel for a brief walk through town and that’s when reality hit us. We weren’t looking at the Battlefield – We were in the Battlefield – All of what you see – walk and breath in Gettysburg is where the fighting occurred.
Keep in mind Gettysburg was only PART of the civil war – The battlefield stretched for States, Gettysburg was fought over as a Key Strategic Location for the war – However it was the bloodiest battle of the civil war where as many as 56,000 casualties occurred over 3 days. --- sorry history lesson…
As I Said There is so much to tell and words can’t tell you an eighth of what is to be seen and experienced. My only suggestions are as follows:
First and Foremost
WATCH the movie “Gettysburg” before you make your visit. You will have more of a defined vision of what you are looking at – Especially when you see the area where Pickett made his charge, or when you see Devils Den

Second - Plan a long stay – We were in Gettysburg for 3 days and only seen a quarter of what is there maybe 5 days or a week if you enjoy history
Third – Camera make sure it’s a good one – you will be taking a lot of pictures
Fourth – Its not very well identified but the Main battlefield is now a National Park – it is so big you have to drive your car through to see it. My wife and I stopped along the way and walked here and there. It is a very eerie feeling that no matter where you walk – you know something happened in the spot you are in. Also – If you are fascinated by ghosts or supernatural things – I strongly suggest you go through the Battlefield after dusk and go to Devils Den – And as I aforementioned make sure you have a good camera and a Back Up Battery – this was the only place and time where our camera and cell phone batteries completely discharged (more than once)… You tell me.

There are no fees associated with the National Park that we can remember but there are other areas that have some type of admission fees

7  Thank Steve R
Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was sunny, and there were not a lot of cars on the route in late December 2013. We stopped several times along the route, but we did not go up any of the 3 observation towers. It was a beautiful sunny day. The dark metal placards are difficult to read. If you contrast that with Antietam battlefield (visited the next day) they are dark metal with white paint on the top of the raised letters. That would make the battalion commemoratives more read and shared.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We drove up from York on Saturday was quite cold and the roads in the park were snow covered made it a very memorable moment. Some of the places you could not visit do to the conditions of the road but well worth the trip.

1  Thank Rusty W