“A must visit park!”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Ranked #1 of 109 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This park is a must see for all Americans! So many fought to keep this great country of ours together. The visitor center is gorgeous and is so worth the fee. My husband is active military so it was free for him. Allow yourself plenty of time it's worth it!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is my third trip to the Gettysburg battlefield and was by far the best because I spent two full days exploring the entire park. It is a beautiful place set among the rolling hills and farms of Pennsylvania. I purchased the 150th Anniversary auto tour to help guide my son and I around the park and it was well worth it. We listened to the CD at each auto tour stop, then got out of the car and explored on our own trying to picture what those men went through. It is a fascinating historical place with plenty of memorials all around and plenty of assistance available if you need it. We even ran into three re-enactors on Little Round Top. They were extremely gracious in answering some questions I had and really added to our experience. I do want to visit other Civil War sites, but I can't see how any good be as good as Gettysburg!

1  Thank Bill O
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The park is awesome. With the monuments dedicated to specific regiments, the placement meaningful. You can look across the fields and just imagine what happened there. A horrible war, war between the States. The Union was and is preserved and to think of the price they paid for us.

1  Thank seasnowcs
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Leave yourself plenty of time for a visit to Gettysburg. The town and the shear size of the battlefield make this a half-day site. There is so much to learn and see here, walk in the battlefiled and soak in the magnitutde of this battle. You probably have a relative that fought here, do some advanced research so you can find their regiment marker and walk in their footsteps.

This was a moving site and we will come back to learn and explore more.

1  Thank sp4301
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am an amateur Civil War student. I have been to several battlefields and read as much as I can. This was absolutely my favorite place. I could spend weeks here and still not see everything that interests me. This was my third visit and I will definitely return.

1  Thank swandive208