“Hire a guide!”

Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Ranked #1 of 109 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion", Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address".
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We hired a guide who drove our car and told the story of Gettysburg in a way that made it come alive. It's well worth the cost to do this.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,889)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I went to Gettysburg this past week! The battlefield is a must see. You can feel the sadness lingering in the air, when I drove through, my mind currently pictured the men(and some women) who fought on those grounds, all I could see and hear were the cries of the dead and wounded. Please be respectful, if you have dogs, clean up their poop.I seen people walking dogs with no bags to clean up poop.

I'm a believer of haunted places; and I believe the battlefield is haunted.Devil's den is a really haunted spot, as well as picket's charge.Make sure your out of the park by 10PM it is monitored by police.

There's no relic hunting in Gettysburg, so leave the metal detectors home.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I didn't know what to expect on our visit here and using advice from here we opted to hire a guide for 3 hours. This was a brilliant experience and Rich Kohr made our day sharing his knowledge and passion for all things Gettysburg. The Cyclorama was amazing to view and was brought to life with good effect.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a humbling experience!!! My family has never been to this battlefield and hired a private tour guide that took us to where (or about where) our relatives had fought in the war. He was able to really bring this battlefield to life for us. It is worth every penny to hire a guide and get him/her to take you through this important battle. Let me know if you want his name :)!

The battlefield is is absolutely beautiful and well kept. There are so many monuments. Read as many as you can. This is definitely worth the time to stop and ride through.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The museum is well set out, easy to get around, restaurants and shops clean and well attended. Staff were friendly and helpful, and given the thousands and thousands of people flowing through daily, it was just exceptional service the way that all staff maintained their wonderful ability to make you feel very welcome. The diorama was just incredible!!!! The museum on the ground floor was well laid out, considerate, and informative. The only down side to the days we spent at and around this place (it was the pick up point for bus tours) is that with a handicapped person and others with mobility impairments, even the handicapped park was a bit of a challenge to walk. For the anniversary week, and other big events, some courtesy golf carts and driver to ferry from the car park to the museum for people who were struggling to walk independently in the dreadful heat we had that week.